Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bad Fall
Wolfsong452 posted:
well Aug. 13th had my right knee scoped. Hurray, feels so much better.

going into the 2nd week, had sewer problems, had to have the whole front yard dug up. I could take showers etc. not no letting anything drain. so, standing shower water, and everything else. bummer!

thank goodness for insurance they fixed everything and no money out of my pocket.

remember people, it's ALL IN HOW IT'S WORDED.
this kind of house problem normally isn't covered by home owners insurance, they figure it's basic maintenance. I must have said it just right. Even with the deductable I've not had to pay anything.

went 2 weeks later was released to go back to, yes, a lot of ouches, but in a different way.

HURRAY!

ok, 2 weeks later I went for my consult on my left know trying to decide if I'll get the knee replacement done. I decided hey, it does't really hurt, it's more over worked. Now that the right knee can do what it's supposed to do, then less work on the left knee.

ok, day after consult on left knee I had a very bad fall. Seems like I was trying to measure my hallway the hard way.

I'd been cooking corn bread and had a friend come over. We decided to go to Sam's Club. Well timer went off on cornbread, turned off the timer went and put on my shoes.

As I'm coming down my hallway my foot caught in the throw rug. Yet, it did exactly what it's supposed to. Throw!

Down I went, this was on Sept. 17th. oh fun, bashed my right knee onto the ceramic tile floor. Bash my left bicep into the door frame.

Went and sat down to get myself calmed down. Ok, left for the SC, rode the elec. cart as I was still hurting.

Got home to find my house full of smoke, yep, turned off the timer but NOT THE STOVE.

scary thought, could have burned down my house. Thank God I wasn't gone longer.

Woke up the next morning and have a bruise on my left bicep the size of a softball. Right knee all swollen up again, like right after the surgery.

Went on Sept. 19th for the final recheck on that knee,

ohhh! boy! did they chew me out, told me to burn the rug not the cornbread.

fast forward, Sept. 22nd, got a new pet sit with stairs, hadn't tried this since before the knee surgery, HURRAY! I can now go up and down the stairs normal!

it's now Oct. 6th, almost the 7th. still have a large bruise on my bicep, but it is starting to fade.

my right knee is still a little swollen, tried to go down the stairs this past week, along with this weekend.

oh, oh, got that funny catch back in the knee, hoping it's because it's still swollen.

though the knee was swollen before and I was able to do the stairs.

someone please tell me I didn't totally screw up my knee.

I find it encouraging that I was till able to go down the stairs after the fall, but now I"m not so sure

boo hoo!

bette_kaffitz responded:
Wolf, you know perfectly well that only time will tell how badly you damaged that knee. Ask us to rejoice with you if it heals itself with a little dose of time. Ask us to commiserate with you if you wind up needing more work done on it. Just remember to live in the real world.

And, of course, the doc is right. NONE OF US SHOULD HAVE A THROW RUG IN THE HOUSE. They make the E.R. docs a lot of money. Now go and burn yours.

Hope the oven wasn't too bad a mess to clean. Or the cornbread pan. Or the smokey walls. Try to make yourself a habit of turning off the oven first. I had to do this with my checkbook. My habit? Write the check in the ledger before you write the check. (Never wonder who that last check was to or for how much. )

Blame the whole incident on FIBROFOG. I would.

Bette

missist replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
Hope your knee gets better, will add it to my prayer list. I once set my whole kitchen on fire--so don't feel too bad.

We also had a yard dug up for a sewer thing in our 2nd house-- that was soooooo gross. I feel for you.

Lots of ways to make a house gross-- smoke, water, 'gray' water.

I have mats instead of throw rugs-they lay flat and you can buy them at big box stores by the foot. They catch alot of dirt and dust and don't move when you walk on them.

Best to you!
Mary

Wolfsong452 replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
corn bread pan was a loss, haven't tried cleaning the oven yet. For some strange reason no smoke on the walls,

oh wait, can't see it due to all the dust!

ha ha hah aha !!

blaming everything on ex-hubby who was there wanting to go to Sam's Club!

Wolfsong452 replied to missist's response:
yeah definitely have to get something that doesn't move.

Would also help to learn to pick up my feet, make sure my sandals are tightened properly, was wearing those velco ones, so were kind of loose to slip off and on.

Also, ex-hubby was there rushing me to get to Sam's club, he needed to get to his brothers house.

I don't have a SC membership, so he offers to take me. What a rush though!

Thanks all! it's been crazy!

booch007 responded:
Oh man, the minute I read throw rug.........

When doing a return to home from the hospital, the first thing we ask to get rid of is the throw rugs. They are so dangerous for the "not right" you know your gait is off in healing.....what was is not now. It is the number one or maybe two behind the TUB as a cause for ER visits....and broken hips and injuries!
Y I K E S , Hope it is gone by now!

The other thing I wanted to say was...

GOOD GOES TO HEAVEN BAD GOES TO HELL

What??

Your good leg and knee leads in going up the stairs and the BAD knee leads in going down the stairs. It is a no brainer when you learn it and that saying is so easy to remember!

There is a major stressor on all the ligaments to go up the steps.....so good luck and rest. Care for you...no one else will!
Hugs, Nancy B

fibroinsd responded:
yikes...please take care !!! cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

Wolfsong452 replied to booch007's response:
I will remember what you've said about going up and down the stairs.

what was the bad part of the the fall, it was at least 5 weeks after the surgery. You'd think if I was going to fall it'd have happened before.

Wolfsong452 replied to fibroinsd's response:
thanks

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.