Skip to content
sleeping
Wolfsong452 posted:
decided to try an alternative attempt at getting some good sleep.

I was able to get ahold of some melatonin, I was told it's supposed to help to get to sleep.

wow!

I only have to take 1 tablet a day and I'm sleeping so much better.

I don't take them often, but if I notice that I'm nodding off at work, then I'm not sleeping enough or deep enough. So I then start back taking them.

well, I hadn't taken any all week, dumb me, should have, but it's been cool breezy days, but with HOT sun, so very easy to break out in a hard sweat.

but a nice sit in the shade and you've recovered.

any hoo, took some melatonin when I got home from work this morning around 8 am. .

wow!

slept hard all morning, got up had around 2 pm, ate a lite snack, watched 30 mins. or so of TV, back to bed, slept hard until 8 pm.

double wow! my body must have needed it, now I've seen the studies done that you can't catch up on sleep, do not sleep more than 8-10 hours.

well, I"m sorry, but I think it's wrong.

I feel so much better! HURRAY!

fibroinsd responded:
I have been taking melatonin lately too..and found it soooo helpful..and now I am thinking that I forgot to take it last night as I am up at 3 am..and I think it is too late to take it now..rats..

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

Wolfsong452 replied to fibroinsd's response:
I was really really surprised how well it's worked.

Darn doctor any one of them, PCP, Pain Management, Ortho, Rhuemy, and so on and so on.

and I've been told to stop self medicating!

yeah right!

dollbug responded:
Hello Sharon....yes...it is true that we, FMers, know more about how we feel than they do. And we sometimes, have to decide for ourselves what to do about this, when the doctors seem to have NO CLUE in how to treat us.

I am glad that you decided to try the melatonin....I know a lot of people take it but I would also encourage you to be really careful so that your body does not decide that it can not rest without it. Dr. Oz had a segment about this and it seems like a lot of people actually depend upon it to get any sleep....which is not a good thing.

I know that in the beginning I really struggled with not getting enough sleep. I took the muscle relaxers and had to cut it in half and then cut the half into a half....or else I would wake up very drowsy....felt like I had been drinking.

I do not like even taking a small amount of it, unless I feel like I have no choice.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

Wolfsong452 replied to dollbug's response:
yes MiMi

I'm being very careful, especially with me being a security guard, can't afford to fall asleep on the job, that would be the fastest was out!

fibrofran17 responded:
Hi Wolfsong, just wanted to tell you that I found melatonin too an it's a life/sleep saver. I read alot about it before starting it to avoid
mixing it with other meds I take. I read that all you need is 5 mgs and any more doesn't do anything, but they sell 10 mgs etc?
Also, melatonin is a natural chemical used by the brain to regulate sleep cycles and other things and is best used daily for a few months until the cycle is restored to normal, then see how you feel after stopping. Also, it is not recommended with certain heart meds, you can check that out. One more thing is that antidepressants and other meds deplete the natural melatonin in the brain so if you stay on those meds your brain needs to keep restoring melatonin by supplement.
I am so glad you found relief too because it's so necessary to SLEEP. also there are extended release melatonins at chain drugstores for those that fall asleep but wake up a few hours later and need it. I have trouble falling asleep, once I'm asleep I sleep through so I don't use them. Also, make sure when you buy melatonin there are no other ingredients like valerian in it, that will be risky with other meds. hope I helped alittle, fibrofran

bette_kaffitz responded:
Wolf,

This just goes to show how different we all are. My doctor suggested melatonin a long time ago. I bought a bottle on my way home and tested it that night. NOTHING. Next time the doc suggested I add some valerian root along with the melatonin. Another stop at the health food store. Again, NOTHING. The doctor then prescribed me some Ambien. WOW! It's a darn good thing, I put the cap back on the vial before I took that first 5 mg. dose. Otherwise the pills would have been rolling around on the floor all night--and half of the next day.

Like all good things, the Ambien came to an end. All too soon, it took 10 mg. to put me to sleep. Then, it got so that the pills took longer and longer to start to work. Now, about 22 years since the first pill, I only use them once or twice a month.

It's wonderful to hear that some of us are getting a decent night's sleep with the melatonin, though. That's wonderful.

Bette

Wolfsong452 replied to fibrofran17's response:
I will keep this in mind, thanks all for the information.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
371 of 398 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.