Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fibromyalgia Myofascial Pain Syndrome
An_253902 posted:
I have had Fibromyalgia since 1999. Is fibromyalgia the same as myofascial Pain syndrome or is it two different things/

meg_k responded:
Anonymous, I don't know for sure, medically speaking. I have seen others post on this forum saying MPS and FMS are separate syndromes.

Based on my personal experience, I tend to agree they are distinct. However, for me, they are definitely intertwined. I think myofascial pain, over time, has been one trigger for developing Fibro. In other words, raising my overall pain levels, impacting other Fibro symptoms like fatigue and mental fogginess.

For others on this site, getting sick or having an injury was their trigger for starting Fibro. Others can't identify a specific trigger. But for me, I think myofascial pain was part of it.

Hope that helps.

Meg K

undefined responded:
Hello everyone,
i am new here today. i have both fm and cmp since 1991
after a car accident. they are absolutely 2 different things
and both have been very disabling to me, so very hard to
live with.

take care all.

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

Good question , so good literature will mix it all up too. I followw DR Devin Starlanyl and her teaching from Dr Travelle who started all this research and therapy.

She separates them and as we are learning FMS is a pain sensory heighteness. All the volume for the brain is turned up.
MPS has trigger points and taut bands found in the muscles on exam and in scanning. A clinical finding. I have this. Specific areas of involvement and fascia that has festered the muscles into trigger points. Small knots of congestion that need massage or injection to be released and when it is accomplished the muscle functions well. I have range of motion limitations when they are active and touching the area is very painful. I descibe them to others as "bee stings". They can then get a small grasp of the sensation I am dealing with.

FMS having an all over pain complaint and a brain fog. Fatigue is mixed in there for both of us, as pain is energy wasting. It steals from you. Even just a little action can tire you out.

As pace, pace and pace some more is the mantra here...you can see why.

Oh I can yack forever.....this is my take on this. I just start eachday with sword in hand and move forward. Much headway has been made by me over the years.....I just keep chipping at our dragon and refuse to let him have another piece of me.

I have found that moving everyday is a must. Planning a project and completing it give me purpose and I work too. When in a flare I will give my body 2 days of rest to reset and then "out n up" to move the body again. Work well for me.

Hydration is so very important as are your supplements. Some here just have supplements and no meds. I am not that lucky, for my level of activity I have needed help. But I attain quite a day sometimes when i look back.

Good luck on your path. We are all different and that is why this is so hard. Not one has the same issue and fix. There is a toolbox in the resources department(on the right), please take a look into there. The patients here filled it with their tricks. All my best for you, NancyB

missist replied to 29610204's response:
I saw a rheumatologist who said they are interchangeable that people use either word to describe the same thing. I didn't go back to him-- totally wrong.

They do go together probably in most people, but its like migraine and IBS go with fibro-- just one of those co-morbidities-- as in things that go together.

It is debilitating, very true--but it is not the same thing.
Mary

shaun2 replied to meg_k's response:
Thanks for your help. For me it was several injuries in a short time period.

bette_kaffitz replied to missist's response:
Evidently, chronic myofascial pain (from trigger points of knots in your muscles that can transfer pain to other parts of the body) is a treatable condition. You can go with trigger point injections and/or deep tissue massage to break up these knots. If the trigger points are left untreated, they can lead to fibromyalgia.

This, of course, is just one of the ways to "get" fibro. But it makes sense. Fibromyalgia is a condition of heightened sensitivity to pain. CMP is a way to experience long term pain. It is one of the ways that our brains get overloaded with pain signals, become more alert to these signals, and then start to interpret every incoming message as pain. That's fibromyalgia.

So CMP is a pathway. You can take one branch, treat your trigger points, and recover. Or you can take another branch, either ignore or only partially treat your trigger points, and arrive at the destination where our dragon/fibro is waiting for us and breathing fire.

Unfortunately, most of us here have already met our own dragon. No one knows for sure whether treating trigger points at this stage can reverse the fibro. But I get mine treated with a little hope in my heart. I never cared for dragons, myself.

Bette

moxie1956 responded:
According to my rheumatologist, chronic myofascial pain (CMP) & fibromyalgia are 2 distinctly different maladies. I can tell you that I experience them differently: CMP feels like a sunburn. It might effect a relatively small patch of skin like my forearm or I may feel it almost all over. It's very uncomfortable. And my pain meds do not relieve it. Fibro usually feels like a severe case of flu, just insanely aching head to toe, and/or there can be certain areas that are downright painful. Sometimes pain meds can take the edge off. Either one, I cannot tolerate any touching. Clothing and sitting I have no choice but to manage, but anybody touching me will send me thru the roof!

A book I found somewhat helpful, but is now admittedly dated (2001) is Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain: A Survival Manual (2nd ed.) by Devin J Starlanyl and Mary Ellen Copeland.

I wish you an abundance of pleasant moments.
Featherlight Hugs,
Moxie

booch007 replied to moxie1956's response:
Dear Moxie.

Hurray....there is a new book! It just came out in the beginning of October! Dr Starlanyl has the NEW RESEARCH in it.

I was so excited to get it. As was the doctor (she took it) and I haven't gotten it back yet. :0. LOL.

I didn't pick up too much new for us above all the reading I did. BUT 2008 was a BIG YEAR for CMP...(they filmed the trigger point) and part of the research was NOT to get a twitch and release response from the injections. We would all yahoo after, knowing I would get release from it. What they found was that you express alot of bad chemicals in the muscle when this happens and it needs major flushing after.

I always did this like after a massage YOU MUST HYDRATE to flush things liberated from the muscles. But it was a good book.

In there also was a template for patients to bring to the doctor with pain issues and radiation complaints. SHE (Dr) was so excited for this. With workers comp patients they need to chart the isues and this gave her something to work with.

I love this set of books no matter the dating.....it is relavent to everything in my life. Travelle (Neurology book) is dry and hard reading. But this is so useful as a tool for repair.

OK, just wanted you to know about the book....Nancy B

moxie1956 replied to booch007's response:
Thanks for letting me/us know about the updated book:)
Featherlight Hugs,
Moxie

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.