Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Breast pain
Cpht859 posted:
Hi. I haven't been exactly diagnosed, but my mother has the other one...poly rhumaticamyalgia or something like that. I'm 45. I've been having several symptoms and my doctor was treating me for a sinus infection and I mentioned some to him. He said it could possibly be fibromyalgia, but he wanted to get the sinus stuff cleared up and since I had another appt. in a month or so, we would further discuss it then. That's fine with me. I don't hurt all the time. I DO have what is called Fibro-fog....I'm guessing that's what it is. But I have a question. Every so often, one breast or another will start hurting and itching. I've not had a mammogram...I've not felt any lumps and it's only been for about 3 or 4 months. Could that be a symptom?

missist responded:
Hi Cpht859,

That would be one of those things- that 'could' be but you probably should mention it to dr.

You'll find over the years that a lot is that way, if you do have fibro--there will always be some new thing come along and you won't know for sure. sigh..

Tip-- I think doctors can be 'overwhelmed' by our symptoms sometimes. My old one could not deal with more than one thing at a time--so as you find out for sure if you have this or not-- be wary about too many things at once-- if he/she can handle it--you'll know soon enough. If not--you may need to eventually think about finding a new dr.

Hope its a false alarm and you start to feel better and no fibro. Will add you to my prayer list.
Mary

Cpht859 replied to missist's response:
Thanks so much! I can always use prayer and will add you to mine. I work at the hospital in the pharmacy (Cpht =Certified Pharmacy Tech) with my dr. I've only started recently going to him since my old dr left. I was just there, like I said for a sinus infection and mentioned it. I've twisted both my ankles, badly, within 3 months or so of each other. Had to be seen for the first one, and then the 2nd was while working and he knew about it then. The pain comes and goes. The "foggy" brain is the most prominent. Thank you for replying!

CPhT

bette_kaffitz replied to Cpht859's response:
Cpht,

All the while I was growing up, I twisted my ankles several times a year. Then, in my Freshman year of H.S., I started roller skating. Those skates are heavy. They help build muscles in the feet, ankles, legs. Unlike ice skates, you don't wobble and your ankles don't hurt (mine did any time I was on ice skates).

Walking with ankle weights (once you are healed) should give you the same benefit. They have ones that you can start with 1/2 lb in each weight and go up to--I think--15 lbs by sliding weights into pockets on the velcro cuffs.

About the fog. . . .Carry some post-its on you 24/7. Leave reminders for yourself EVERYWHERE. Anything from "turn off stove" to "brush your teeth" to "fasten seat belt" is fair game. If you have a note to remind you, you won't be afraid of forgetting. I think this fear increases fibrofog. It's a big stressor.

And let's hope you do not have FM. If you do, we are living proof that you can survive.

Bette

Cpht859 responded:
Thanks to all of you for your prayers and tips...greatly appreciated. I know this topic is odd, but I had printed some things to look over regarding symptoms and such. I printed a really good list from 'about.com". I was talking to my mom this morning, who also has it. I began reading the list off to her and found that tender breasts are part of it. As I read the complete list, we found that we had a lot of the symptoms a while back, but at different times. FM never once occured to either of us until the pain started becoming more prominant. "Heart murmur" is on the list. At one of my check ups or something, one of the drs asked me about my heart murmur. I told him I didn't have one. He said he heard a slight heart murmur. I didn't think much of it. I've had several of the symptoms though at differing times. I chalked it up to turning 40 and that's when everything starts falling apart. My balance is off, and has become an issue for the past year...really hurt myself twice in 2 months time. Tingling in my fingers, feet feeling as if they are swelling but aren't, Fibro Fog is the worst one yet. Getting "tongue tied" is becoming a regular thing. And since reading this stuff, I see that there is a reason for my breasts to hurt. I see my dr on the 6th of Nov. I don't want FM, but if I have it, I want to know so that I have proof that I'm not going crazy. My husband plays devil's advocate and tells me to stop thinking I have it. I am NOT a hypochondriac (that's my sister....she is looking for something to go wrong. but that's a different story.) I just need proof that I really do hurt! I really do have achy boobs! I really do have a reason for standing in the middle of the Pharmacy (at work) and try to remember what I was looking for! Thank you all...I'll be praying for all of you! God bless!

missist replied to Cpht859's response:
Hi again. just wanted to mention --if you have access to a warm pool near you with water aerbics-- that can help your balance. I went last year for a while at a senior fitness center .I was easily the youngest person there at 53; but I also had the worst balance. It did get better after a while of exercising.

I don't have that anymore where I live now--but I do have a hot tub--which is awesome.
Mary

bette_kaffitz responded:
Cph,

At 45, it's not such a bad idea to get that mammogram. If nothing else, it will ease your mind. That is worth a lot, especially with the way stress effects our fibro.

At that age, there are hormonal shifts starting to happen. Do you remember the bratty, impossible kid you were in the years surrounding your first period? (I got horrible headaches and fainted a lot.) You are going through a period when many of your hormone levels will be up and down. This can cause breast pain, too.

Unfortunately, even as young as you are, you will find that your body is not producing as much oil as it did just a few years ago. A good body lotion (you may have to try a few to find one you like that does not irritate your skin--some drug stores have a no questions return policy on skin care items) can help out. It's not just your hands that can get dry. You may have noticed that you need a more potent conditioner on your hair.

Hey, having oily skin wasn't all that great either. Remember all those teenage zits?

Bette

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
460 of 535 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.