Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Prescription TENs unit
jillwimmersbloom posted:
I currently own a TENS unit I bought online for about $25 (couldnt afford the more expensive units). It works okay but I do wish it was a little stronger. I recently discovered that in some instances insurance will pay for a unit if you have a prescription from a doctor. Has anybody ever done this? Are the units prescribed a better quality than the cheapy models available to purchase online. Will the prescription also cover the cost of replacement pads? Final question, how do you go about ordering a unit if insurance pays for it?

Thanks for reading

dollbug responded:
Hello jillwimmersbloom. MiMi in NC. I got my tens unit and I think the PT ordered it and the insurance paid for it. They sent me some pads off and on and I guess I could order them, if I needed more.

I think that the tens unit is the same. Don't think they have different kinds. But a newer one just might work better for you. I would either ask the doctor about it or call your insurance company about this. I am sure either one can tell you how to go about to get one.

My unit is actually strong when I adjust it to a higher number. I hope you will soon find something that will help you cope better.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

meg_k replied to dollbug's response:
Sorry to be ignorant, but I've heard TENS units referenced a few times, and I have to say I don't know what this is. Does it help with FM symptoms?

dollbug replied to meg_k's response:
Hello Meg K....MiMi in NC. Google it and do some research about this. It is a good tool to use on some things. I have used mine some on different parts of my body. Hips, knees and back the most. It is a small and takes batteries. You attach it with pads and then hook it up and turn it to where you need it to be. It sends out a light *shock* of sorts which eases the pain.

I have one of the old ones since I have had it a long time. I use it when I need it. It has come in handy.

I hope this helps.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

bette_kaffitz replied to meg_k's response:
Meg and Jill,

A TENS unit is about the size of an early cell phone or pager. It clips onto your belt or pocket. You attach lead wires and stick them on little plastic pads that go on your skin around your painful area. The unit gives you little tingly shocks. They are supposed to send a message to the brain overriding the pain signals coming from the area.

I'm like MiMi. A physical therapist ordered me a unit 20 years ago. The PT took care of all the paperwork. Since he was one of my insurer's "preferred providers," the whole thing was paid for.

My pain doctor has suggested that I get another TENS unit and told me that the same unit ordered by a PT costs about $200 or more while if your chiropractor orders it you'll pay about $40. Call your insurer. Find out if there is a co-pay. Then decide what to do. I think I will go with the chiro this time. He will let me try a unit during one of my treatments. If it helps, I'll order one.

The little sticky pads tend to lose their stick after awhile. You have to replace them. This is worse during hot weather when you sweat. I forget how much they cost, but I do remember that it seemed like a lot to me back in the 90's. I don't think my insurance paid for them. Another thing to ask your insurer when you call.

My husband had a tens unit, and the pads kept falling off his body. He is very active and sweats a lot. His PT suggested that he purchase a "garment" (a velcro-closed belt with the pads in place) for about what the whole TENS unit cost. He didn't think it was worth it.

I found that, after a while, my body ignored the unit's tingles and listened to the pain signals instead. The unit has several different pulse sequences to try, but my body quickly adjusted to all of them. But for several months, it was a blessing.

This is one more way to keep going. It helped me to keep teaching for a little longer.

Bette

meg_k replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
Thanks, Bette and MiMi. I am going to PT today so I will ask about it, and then check with my insurance. Thank heavens for insurance. Counting my blessings!!!

Thanks to you all ... such a wonderfully supportive community.

Meg.

An_248463 responded:

My husband bought me one years ago. I appreciate the thought behind it, but I could not stand for it to be on me. The thumping action was too much for me. The message I could barely stand, so I stopped using it, and he never forgave me.

He still will bring up the fact that he bought it and I didin't use it. I'm not even sure where it is now. Glad to hear that it helps soemone.

bette_kaffitz replied to An_248463's response:
An,

When you first got your tens unit, it should have been programmed for you by a professional. They have you tell them when the stimulation goes from pleasantly tingly to painful. Then they set the unit so that it can never go as high as painful. The PT also helps you decide which types of program (alternating, single type of pulse, variable pulse, etc.) are most helpful for you. You will then know to skip program # 10 and try out # 9, for example.

If you got too strong a signal, your unit was not adjusted properly.

Bette

nononsenselady responded:
I just responded to Theresa in the earlier discussion before this one and was telling her about my new TENS. That is so weird to see you bringing it up! I would say you have a very weak TENS or you are one tough broad! I just got mine from the pain doctor and I only turn mine up to a "11 or 12" and that is just about right. I think it will go up much higher though. They told me to only wear it for 2 hours at a time but didn't tell me how much break time in between. They told me the cost was $695! However they said my insurance would pay for it. I am renting it for $125 for the first month to see if I like it. The first 2 days the darn thing kept beeping at me every few minutes and drove me crazy. The instructions that came with it said it could be one of 3 things. I went through 8 of the sticky things. Today with 4 new sticky things it hasn't beeped at me! I hope they replace the defective 8 sticky things that were obviously defective. It sure is expensive to have fibro!
Laurie

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
369 of 396 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.