Skip to content
Fibromyalgia New DX
Theresa22470 posted:
I am newly dx with Fibro, i have had it for about 2 years, but just got a real dx last week, I am happy that I now know that I am not crazy that the pain is real, and the sleepless nights, feeling tired all the time, are all real.. This year i have went thru 4 DRs before I got a Dr that would listen. One told me that I was getting old, the other one told me that Fibro is not real it is just something that the Dr says when they dont know what is really wrong with you! the 3rd one said that she would not give me anything, and the forth one said ok, all blood work has been done, to rule out anything else, so I feel that you have Fibro along with Chronic Pain Syndrome, and TMJ, not sure where the TMJ came in at, but oh well. This just added to my list of High BP, bludging disc, depression restless leg syndrome, Any advice for this Newbie?? Thanks

dollbug responded:
Hello Theresa and welcome. MiMi in NC...sorry that you are dealing with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM...plus other issues as well. I am sure that you will find something that will help you cope better soon. You have found a good FM support group here. Please review the info under *tips* and *resources* and also the *member toolbox* where you will find some good *tools* that perhaps you have not thought of trying yet.

I would also encourage you to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level which is important to a lot of people these days. Low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

You did not say whether or not the doctor put you on any medications but I do want to tell you that I tried several different kinds in the beginning but did not find anything which really helped me without causing side effects. So I eventually did my own research and I have learned how to *control my FM pain by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well.

Getting enough sleep is really important for us FMers...taking a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts is a good way to help relax your body right before bedtime so that you can rest better.

Using a heating pad when needed is also a good *tool* that I use a lot. Learning how to pace, pace and pace even more is also a good thing. Keeping myself on a schedule of sorts also helps me cope better.

Drinking plenty of water every day and watching what I eat is also a plus for me. Doing gentle stretches and/or exercise is also good....(gentle being the important word to remember) It is never good to stay in bed just because you do not feel good. Try to get up and move about which will help keep your muscles from getting stiffer.

I am sure others will chime in to you soon.

Take care and I hope you will post often, ask questions and remember that you are not alone in this journey....we all have been there done that.

Good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

bette_kaffitz responded:
Theresa,

Most of us here could tell you how long it USED to take before you got a diagnosis. No matter how many doctors you visit, no one would give a diagnosis without all the rule-out testing you had from your previous doctors. Fibro mimics so many other conditions. They all have to be ruled out.

Everyone is getting older. The alternative is dying. Don't ever let anyone tell you that aches and pains are normal when we get older. Just look at those who participate in the senior olympics. If hurting were "normal" these wonderful athletes would be freaks. They are not.

Check out all the hints and tips this site has to offer. Check out any alternative treatment here before you shell out money for it. Look at the tips along the site's right margin. Any time something works, please tell us. If there is a problem, please tell us. We all learn from each other.

That's why we are here.

Bette

franr responded:
Hi Theresa

Welcome to a unique group of fibroettes . None of us really want to be in this group but we won the luck of the draw and are here. You have come upon many members who are compassionate and knowledgeable. If you can get an appointment with a pain management MD they can set you in the right direction .TMJ can be painful and also be caused by grinding you teeth in your sleep.You may need to sleep with a night guard. Check with your dentist. Many of us have many other ailments. Some come along with the fibo. Sleep is critical to fibro patients .Antidepressants can help with some pain and sleep talk with your MD.Please keep posted and let us know your progress, Fran R

nononsenselady responded:
Hi Theresa, I don't get on very often but I wanted to add something that has newly helped me. The doctor that was helping me with prescription drugs like hydrocodone, lorazapam and sleeping pills suddenly wrote me off and left me on my own. I went to a pain doctor who wouldn't do anything either as far as meds. Luckily, I knew about TENS from hurting my back 6 years ago. So I asked the pain doctor if she could prescribe that. So I now have a TENS thing. It has helped so much I just can't begin to tell you. I can't remember what the initials stand for but it is a little thing that you clip on your belt with wires that come out that attach to electrodes that are attached to sticky pads. The pads are stuck to your skin and send out little shocks. I don't know why it works but it has made a BIG difference. Just something to think about.
Laurie

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
193 of 210 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.