Skip to content
Jil (Pap smear OT)
booch007 posted:
Good morning Jill,

I am so sorry you are petrified of the unknown here. I have a mess of a background with GYN issues.

Started when I was 19 and needed my ovary removed for a grapefruit sized growth on it.

I also had dysplasia of the cervix. (Abnormal cells) I Never tested positive for HPV (but they didn't test for it during my time ,maybe.
My dysplasia was so bad that they just operated and did a CONE BIOPSY. (Done in the hospital and I was asleep) they removed the neck of the uterus. F I X.

Then years later I had fibroids and that is whe they needed a biopsy of the uterus. Deeper than going for a cervical biopsy. I PLANNED for it.

Just before going in the Dr. office I took a muscle relaxant to help my tense fear.and I also put a theracare patch on my back...my lower back in heat seems to relax me. It was not fun but I made it through.

Talk to the doctor when you see GYN. tell him you are a mess and see if he can give you some help. We xanax many a patient . Ativan is also good. Nothing is going to take it all away unless they hit you with a hammer........but all I had was cramping and it was fast. It is never easy to be in those stirrups. A bad position for us. Being on my back is a trigger right away.

Plan on doing something great after for yourself.....or just snuggle at home in a heating pad after.

Good luck. If positive for the HPV and damaged they will do the cone biopsy procedure which was really fine. You are asleep and just asked not to lift for 6 weeks and see the doc. RELIEF though, that it is out.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Maybe even bring a heating pad to put under you to relax you. ANY TRICK (TOOL) you can think of. Hoping you are out of the paralysing part of being afraid. .

All my best, Nancy B
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Anon_2912 responded:
Oh my...I remember my GYNO issues...I was 38yrs.

I have always had irregular cycles due to my thyroid issues. Then I developed a cyst on the left ovary. They had to remove the ovary along with the fallopian tube back in 2009.

I have always had my regular pap smears yearly and always good.. Until a year ago from out of the blue my pap smear came back abnormal, so of course they tested for the HPV & that came back positive for the HPV. I had the cone biopsy done as well and that showed the cancer cells, so my gyno just finally decided it was time for a hysterectomy since I was no longer going to have kids. (42yrs), and I had the irregular cycles and kept getting cysts on the right ovary anyway.

I had the full hysterectomy done back in Feb 2013; It was the best thing I ever did....Now I am on a HRT patch..and could not be happier....

As far as the HPV, well a lot of women get it and many don't even know about it because the body fights it off or it lays dormant for years....The most worrisome are the ones that cause the cancer cells. But if caught early they can take care of the issue with many options.

Just do the follow up appointments with your gyno.

jillwimmersbloom replied to Anon_2912's response:
Hi Ladies, thank you for the words of encouragement. I am still a nervous wreck. I spoke to a nurse who said they don't perform it under sedation but she would explain my situation to the doctor and see what they recommend. ImI'm still waiting for a call back to see about scheduling the appointment.

I wish marijuana was legal right now. I think its the only thing that would calm my nerves (although I seem to be doing well going through my kids halloweeHalloween candy at the moment)

bette_kaffitz replied to jillwimmersbloom's response:
Jill,

Are you comfortable with your doctor? Sometimes, just having a good relationship with your provider makes all the difference in the world.

Let's face it, if the only time you see your GYN is to have yearly Pap smears (yuck and pain), or to receive bad news, you may not want THAT person working on you.

If you feel good about your doctor though, try to think about how caring, competent, and thorough he or she is. No matter what meds you do or do not have in you during this procedure, nothing beats TRUST.

Now go out and get that Valium.

Bette

Hope that everything turns out well with

jillwimmersbloom replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
Hello again,

Sorry I have been MIA the past few days. Its been a crazy/bad week. Bette, I normally see a nurse practioner at my PCPs office for paps/etc. I love her (as well as the entire office) however they said they have to refer me to a gyno because they dont handle this. I was referred to an OB/GYN practice in my area. They called me yesterday to schedule an appointment. I explained my anxiety issues and sedation and the person I spoke to basically said it would cost $3000 to be sedation but the doctor would prescribe me xanax, percoset, or vicodin. I explained that I already took norco so whoever I spoke to said fine, take the xanax then (didnt bother asking why I took norco or any other medications). I explained again that 1mg ativan does nothing for me and she got kind of snotty and said that xanax is a different medication and it might work.

I was not able to schedule an appointment until 12/2. I then asked if I could wait a week and a half until finals were over so I didnt have to worry about missing school and was told "no, this is something you have to take care of right away." (yet you are still making me wait 4 weeks).

At this point Im pretty upset and try to ask questions about what is actually going on because nobody has explained anything to me and the person I spoke to basically said they would mail me a pamphlet.

Im frustrated, scared and not sure what to do at this point. I asked some friends who they see and they either go to this practice or see nurse practioners who dont handle anything like this.

Anon_10089 replied to jillwimmersbloom's response:
Wow-

I am sorry for what you're going through. Please take a moment and remember that you are the patient and deserve to be treated well and to have as much information as you want and need to be comfortable. Call back on Monday and talk to someone else. Talk to as many people as you need until you are given the answers you need. If necessary and possible, go speak to someone in person (I'm not sure if you live nearby). Perhaps the practitioner you see and are comfortable with could at least give you some information.

You are right about the scheduling. Why stack it on something like finals and make it more stressful. It sounds like they are doing what's convenient for them. Of course you don't want to wait too long, but like you said, they are making you wait for a month already. Tell them you are unavailable that week but completely available the next. They don't need to know why--that's your bottom line.

It's so hard when we are faced with issues like this because I think our fear and anxiety, on top of the fatigue and pain of the FM, makes us vulnerable to the imperfections of the healthcare system. Especially over the phone, we become just another "case" to someone.

Do you have a friend or family member that can help you deal with these appointments and also be a second listening ear? At the very least, can someone you trust be with you during the procedure?

Again, please remind yourself that you deserve and have the right to as much information as you want to make you comfortable (as much as possible) with this procedure. Don't allow a busy person on the phone to brush you off. They deal with this all the time---you don't. I know this is so much easier said than done. I am a naturally passive person and can easily get walked on. But when it comes to things like this, we have to stand up for ourselves!

I hope you get answers and information and things go as smoothly as possible.

bette_kaffitz replied to Anon_10089's response:
Jill,

I think that your kind, understanding nurse practicioner should know how you have been treated in this office. Do you really think she would refer you to someone if she knew her patients were being blown off like that?

Please let her know what is happening. Perhaps her office can make you an apt. with a more reasonable provider. If not, maybe they can make you an apt. for AFTER finals. I also think that, if you see THAT doctor, you should tell him/her just how "cooperative" the office staff is with patients.

Please be sure to bring a friend or trusted family member with you to your procedure. You will be in no condition to drive--especially if you have a new med on board. Besides, we all need support during tough times.

And, as always, we are here for you. Please feel free to rant, rave, and lose control with us. We understand. We listen. We try to help. That's why we are here--all of us.

Bette

booch007 replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
Jill I have to say that so often you are talking to "a nobody". Someone hired to answer the phones and make appointments. They have little medical knowledge and can be awful as the first line representative to a physician.

Many offices also don't even have RN's as an LPN gets them legally what they need for shots etc. So again it is all relative.

I think defenitely you can hold off this biopsy until after finals.

I love Bette's idea to talk to the NP and tell her the issue you are having. The person on the phone does not realise you were telling her, you are not NARCOTIC NAIVE (not new to narcotics/ these people need more than normal for a response)

(. BIG thing to know for the practitioners. Share this with the NP...she can help maybe in that Xanax dose.

So It was 3000.00 for the ambulatory anesthesia? I was thinking that Insurance was a no for this (without a huge fight)

Geez I wish you luck, I wish i lived nearby by and could drive you there and hold your hand in the room......Don't forget the tricks I gave you on top (first reponse at top).....bring someone to drive you, in case they can offer you more assistance there. The excuse is you don't have a driver....

Good luck, I think of you often. .

NancyB

jillwimmersbloom replied to booch007's response:
Again I would like to thank you ladies for the amazing support and advice. I have decided that I am going to call an OB/GYN office tomorrow that is affiliated with a major hospital in my area and see if they can offer some assistance (they come highly recommended by people who live in that area). Its an hour away but if I feel more comfortable, well worth the extra drive.

My fiance has been wonderful throughout all of this. He comes with me to my fibro doctors appointments and is very good about being an advocate on my behalf (and remembering all the questions I forget to ask). My kids have also been super sweet although they just think I have to see another doctor because of my fibro. My 8 year old made me breakfast in bed "because its cold and I know your hips hurt when its cold"

Im really hoping the doctor I speak to tomorrow can offer me some more information as well as hopefully schedule me before the end of the semester crunch.

Anon_2912 replied to jillwimmersbloom's response:
As I have said before the colposcopy is just like getting a pap smear. Really not over bearing painful at all. You will be fine.

As far as positive for HPV, many women will test positive for it, it all depends on what cells they are. Waiting 4 weeks is fine.

Just stay calm...

jillwimmersbloom replied to Anon_2912's response:
I discovered the OB/GYN who delivered my son is still practicing. I didnt realize he moved his office. I absolutely loved this doctor when I was pregnant. I called his office yesterday and explained the situation. The receptionist was really nice and said she couldnt answer my questions but she scheduled me for a consultation today with the doctor to answer my questions and figure out the best way for us to deal with my anxiety issues. Im still nervous but relieved that I am now dealing with a doctor I know.

jillwimmersbloom replied to jillwimmersbloom's response:
Hello again,

Well I went for the consultation yesterday and he ended up doing the procedure there. My doctor really went out of his way to make sure I was comfortable, including waiting a full five minutes to let the numbing gel do what it was supposed to do.

The recovery has not been very easy. I was told to take advil for cramps and I would be fine. Well I have been taking norco, zanaflex and four advil every four hours with Very little relief. I am getting cramps and well as pain in my lower back, hips, and down my legs.

I am scouring the internet trying to find some relief or connection to the excessive pain and fibro.

Anon_10089 replied to jillwimmersbloom's response:
Hi--

I'm glad you got that done and over with but sorry you are in so much pain right now! Anything in that area of my body can cause shooting pain down my legs whether it me female issues or digestive issues. I'm sure you've already tried heat? I love my rice bag because it can be more flexible than a heating pad. If you don't have one, you can put rice in a large sock and heat it in the microwave for a couple minutes. Also, are you allowed to sit in a bath?--I'm not sure of your post-procedure instructions.

Many people with FM are sensitive to meds--I am not one of those. Maybe because I started taking loads of ibuprofen when I was a kid and started having daily pain, my body is not very sensitive to pain relief. When I was 18 I had to have a scope down my throat (endoscopy) and was sedated with liquid valium. They said they had to give me twice the normal dosage because I kept moving around!

I dread the time when I have a non-FM related medical issue, like yours, and probably won't have adequate pain relief. Can you call your doctor and perhaps get something a little stronger? Your body must have a tolerance to the norco to some degree so you may need something that is either a bit stronger or maybe even a different chemical. Or maybe a topical numbing cream? Or maybe just something to get you to sleep through the pain. Try to get a call in before the doc is gone for the day. I'm on the west coast so it's still pretty early here!

I hope you feel better soon and am so glad you don't have to go another 4 weeks with this hanging over your head!

jillwimmersbloom replied to Anon_10089's response:
Last night was rough but I am feeling a lot better this morning. I have a king size heating pad that is my best friend. I get the results in two weeks, and I decided if I have to get anything else done, Im going to ask my PCP who prescribes my norco, if he would be willing to prescribe something stronger to take for a day or to after (my gyno is not familiar with fibro).

dollbug replied to jillwimmersbloom's response:
Hello Jill...so glad that you are feeling better. I think anytime we face other health issues that it seems to take a toll on our bodies...(I am sure this is due to the wrath of the dragon, aka FM)

I am sorry that your doctor does not know much about FM...perhaps you can at least share how FM makes you feel. I also know that there are a lot of doctors who do NOT know or understand FM, which is really sad. Perhaps they were not taught about it in medical school. One would think that any and all things would be at least mentioned to these people.

IT is getting more attention these days or so it seems.

I hope you will recover soon and I hope the results will be in your favor.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
376 of 403 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.