Skip to content
Pacing
fibrokathy posted:
I read a lot about fibromyalgia and about the importance of PACING. How do you go about pacing your day when you work and have other responsibilities?

We all have daily tasks that we need to attend to. Can you tell me how you go about pacing your day and how many rest breaks you require each day?

missist responded:
Hi fibrokathy, Pacing is going to be different for everyone I'm sure. I don't have a job right now, but do have an online biz that I work at very part time. I have a routine every day that is simple-- I start kind of slow, sipping some coffee and using my hot tub to do some stretches of my legs and lower back that I can't do on land. Then shower and get going on things. I do housework and sit and do things and sit.. like that. In the early afternoon I do any errands I have and then come home to tend my dogs and eat. Evenings for me are almost entirely spent in my recliner. Wish I could say otherwise but I'm really just tired.

When I had a job outside the house I had a similar schedule-- except that it wasn't possible to sit as much in the day. Evenings were still recliner time--and my house wasn't as important.
Mary

booch007 responded:
Kathy,

I work full time and NOW it is 5 days a week. It takes time to look at the day at hand that is your usual and see where you can clip a rest period.

Rest is pacing. It means arm down and in to your body. It means leaning back into your chair with head on the top and letting the chair hold you to give the muscles a break. 5-10 minutes at a clip.

I stand alot, so leaning on the wall was a trick I had. I am always mindful to keep my arms in to my body as it helps the neck so much and that in turn can start the upper back.

By law there is a 15 minute break then lunch and the 15 minute break...use them for a muscle rest. Use themacares under the clothes to add heat and relaxation to the day. You can always see me rubbing on door jams too to move any blood around in the muscles for help and stimulating the back core muscles.

Posture is so important think of it often as is deep breathing. Step outside and get fresh air, get away and lean against the building......(I haven't yet gone and laid down..but I got close once) I have the joy of warm-hot blankets that we put on the patients and I have used them to settle my muscles down.

You have to look at the day and see the triggers that get you and then be the wise one to figure out a fix....Please look under Dr P in the upper right for old posts. In there was how to survive at work. That's when he said arms stay home.....

I knew it already, I knew I can't work above the head or outward without major reactions. So I am sure it will be helpful I went back to see what he said when my job changed and the tools I had as staff now weren't need as a supervisor, I needed new ones.

I still need to find new one's. I am seeking out the issues for me now. It is always a process.

Hoping that you get this better, and I think you will.
Where there's a will there's a way. . Good Luck, Nancy B

Anon_2912 responded:
Pacing...No such thing at my job....

Unless our email server goes down....

I do walk a lot from office to office or to other departments. I also stand up a lot...

I never know from one minute to the next what I will be dealing with so trying to look into what needs to get done is impossible because EVERYONE NEEDS IT DONE LIKE YESTERDAY..

I have been doing this for 23yrs...(Sales/management).40hrs a week. I tried staying home, couldn't do it mentally...

However, I love the fast pace environment, it keeps my mind off of pains/aches ...

bette_kaffitz replied to Anon_2912's response:
Anon,

It sounds as if you ARE already pacing--within the limits of your job situation. You get up and walk to other departments. I bet you have adjusted your screen, keyboard, and chair heights to fit your own body. You probably look away from your screen every 15 or 20 minutes to give your eyes a chance to focus on something farther away.

All of these things help. I used to have my before lunch shoes and my after lunch shoes. The switch helped my back not hurt quite as much.

When you get home from work, are you able to just take 5 or 10 minutes to decompress before you start supper? If not, is there a chunk of time you can use once everything is in the oven? Little chunks of time make big differences in how you feel at the end of the day.

Hope some of this helps.

Bette

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
471 of 546 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.