Giving in, and up..
Anon_149959 posted:
I am struggling with my fibro/ lupus with the cold and my crazy work status... I work as a CNA in an assisted living where I don't have to lift as much but still I am literally on my feet moving for my whole shift.. In the last 2-3 weeks I have had to work like 5-6-7 days straight ... It took me two days (my scheduled days off ) to get out of bed my third day I was physically ill because I was in pain and was not moving for the two days prior.. I called in was chewed on by my boss for not "working as a team player". NO overtime is allowed and I disrupted the schedule.. Never mind the fact I worked 1st shift one day,2nd the next, third the next got off at 6:30a CAME BACK at 3pm later that day!!! I am the ONLY one who has to work those crazy hours. I am living off of diet pills for energy. Sleeping pills to sleep IF I get to sleep at all.. My body is so confused as to when to sleep I end up awake for days at a time.. Then when I do get a couple consecutive days off I am stuck up in bed because my body has stopped cooperating .. Plus I am SO angry / frustrated I just want to cry ALL the time.., well my husband has had enough.. This week I have to go to my rhumey because my joints hurt /burn my husband wants me yo quit and file for disability.. My rheumy suggested that I work to much months ago and hinted on disability.. I have had fibro for over 13 years lupus just tested pos the last 5-6 years.. Has anyone else had any luck filing.. We can scrape by financially (my 19 yr old daughter is pregnant fur in feb and planning the wedding I may will not have much money to help out for both) and NO money in savings for emergencies.. I can budget enough to make it about a year.. I hope !! I give up to tired and hurting to fight my battles here lately.. I would cry but it takes to much time and energy to of it.. Sorry to vent so much you it seemed you all are the only ones to understand...

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....MiMi in NC....I am sorry you are dealing with so much right now. I can NOT even imagine how you can work so much and face the wrath of the dragon each day. You do not say how old you are but I will tell you that filing for your SS Disability is a challenge for a lot of people. Most of the time people are denied but you just have to appeal and keep doing whatever it takes to get it. I know that it took quite a while for me to finally get approved for mine. They say that people who are 50 and older have better chances these days and that they are processed different than those who are younger (although I do not quite understand just how the government gets by with doing such-OMG...I forgot...the government can do whatever they take a notion to do)...

Drawing disability is supposed to be for people who worked and are no longer able to do so. It is supposed to be a benefit that these people are entitled to.

I also want you to know that being angry/upset about anything does not help you one bit. Stress and dealing with the wrath of the dragon go hand in hand....FM feeds off of stress. So you should try to keep your stress level as low as you possibly can. Also getting enough sleep is really important for us FMers. Lack of sleep only makes our pain level worse.

I hope that you decide to apply, especially if your doctor has encouraged you to do so. It is good that you have the doctor's support....this will certainly work in your favor.

I would also like to encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level, if you have not already done so. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for a lot of us and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

I also hope you will check out the info here under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and check out the *member toolbox* as well. I am sure you will find some good *tools* to try that just might help you cope better.

Take care.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

debrabrooks1960 responded:
Dear Anon,
I have been a CNA in an assistant living home for 8 years, luckily in was in my early twenty's. I could not even imagine how any one could do that job with fibro and lupus. My heart goes out to you. I use to work the same shifts you now work, but I was single and I really enjoyed working those hours. But if I had to work them now, I would not be able to. I can barely work 9-5 Monday to Friday. Can you talk to your supervisor about putting you on just one shift? I have filed for disability. I can not afford to take off for 2-3 years with no pay. I too have lupus and I have rheumatoid arthritis, gout and insulin dependent diabetic, I am lucky that I now have a sit down job. I can lay my head down on my desk at lunch and nap if I get feeling too bad. I am going to pray for you. You really need to speak to your doctor about how you are feeling. Maybe he can change your medication. I have heard that you will get excepted on disability a lot faster if you have a lawyer. Please do not give up. I know it is hard suffering so much. Try reading the helpful tips from other members here. They have helped me so much. Please take care and know everyone here does care.

Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

Anon_2912 responded:
Well giving up and in is your choice and only you can decide.

Many here have a lot of the same issues as you. Maybe not the strange work hours, but many work because we have too.

It is up to each individual on how they react or cope with it.

It's not easy for many, but I chose a long time ago not to give in or up...

Like I said, it is your choice to give up and in, If you can't work any longer than yes decide or look into disability.