Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New symptom
sparkyar posted:
Hello, I have had fibro for 13 years and have also tested positive for lupus in the last few years (but when I was 13 I was diagnosed with it but a year later the docs said I did not have it.. ) I am having a rough time here lately, no sleeping, severe pain from my shoulder to my fingers feels like tendinitis, random joints that hurt / burn.. More than usual.. More fatigue and hard for me to take a deep breath due to my rib cage hurting...I am trying to work part time but have had to work more the last few months due to staffing issues.. Which by the way I am dearly paying for... I get do tired that I have to actually hold my he'd up with my hands.. I have been accused of being a hypochondriac and a druggie I assure you all I am not either of those... I will be meeting with the dr tomorrow afternoon to decide my next route to take.. I have a very supporting hubby who "doesn't want to see me hurt" and I try not to show it to much ( it is hard since I hobble for days after working just to rest up and work out all my energy again) I wonder if anyone had some of these symptoms or am I looking at something new here..

jillwimmersbloom responded:
Spark, Im sorry your dealing with a flare right now. Have you tried massage? You could be dealing with some nasty trigger points that are excaburating your pain. I swear by my heating pads (car, bed, and a battery operated heating pad for when Im out). I also keep some one use ice packs with me at all times, they can get pricey but IMHO worth the expense. I am also a fan of biofreeze and arnica gel (i use arnica when I dont want to offend people with the smell of bio).

dollbug responded:
Hello sparkyar....sorry to hear that you are dealing with so much. I am sure you already know just how important sleep is for anyone and especially for those who are NOT in good health, no matter what the illnesses is. Chronic fatigue is very hard to deal with. I have tried to find *something* which might help mine, but so far I have NOT found anything at all. My doctor told me that there is *nothing* that will help it....but I still think there must be *something* out there that will make a difference....so I keep on keeping on.

The rib pain is also common. The only thing I have found that has helped me when I get this is to REST and use a moist heating pad and take Advil (gel). It takes a couple of days for mine to get better. The first time I got it I thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the ER and actually stayed in the hospital for a night while they ran all sorts of tests on me. The doctors finally decided it was from the FM. I have had several other bouts with it and as soon as I feel it, I do nothing but rest and use the heating pad and Advil. I think I have learned how to actually *shorten* the pain when I act quickly upon it.

I do hope you have had your Vitamin D level checked. If not, perhaps you should speak to your doctor about this. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

For pain that just will not ease I also use Stopain Spray....especially if I am going somewhere and can NOT use my heating pad.

I hope you will try to pace as much as you can. I know sometimes this is really hard for people to do but it is SO VERY IMPORTANT. Your body and your mind will certainly thank you for doing this.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

painfullyexhausted responded:
My opinion is that it's part of your FM. Sometimes my ribs hurt so bad I feel as if I've been hit by a truck. Also my sternum hurts to even touch it and it makes it difficult to wear a bra ! My knees and elbows do the same thing as well, sore, hot and it's as if I have hives on them. Clothing bothers them.

NSAIDS seem to help or like the others have suggested, topical pain relievers. Sorry you're dealing this on top of the sleeplessness and everything else FM has to offer. Mine comes and goes so maybe there will be some reprieve for you in the near future. Unfortunately it's temporary relief !! Drink lots of water, soak in hot baths with Epsom salt and or moist heat seems to be helpful. Everyone already told you this, just trying to reinforce the effectiveness

Wish you well !

painfullyexhausted responded:
Also, I wanted to let people know about a new book I'm reading that I've found very interesting called "Women and Fibromyalgia by Barbara Keddy. For me, it's been new ideas and theories regarding FM and Chronic Fatigue. Barnes and Noble has it for Nook.

booch007 responded:
Spark,

I am with the massage idea. IT MUST be a good massage person though. When I am HOT* like this....(inflamed feeling) it is a painful massage but it breaks up the things irritating the tissue in that area.

If they can hot pak you first and then do "efflurage" (big sweeping motions) type of massage. 20 minutes maybe all you need. I have gone and cringed as she passes the trigger point but I tell myself you are going to be so much better after this.....then I hydrate and flush my body...maybe even hot pak again when i get home.

I have even gone twice in a week when I blew it and my muscles were a mess. These are the tools for yourself that you start to learn. As I use a shower to massage with the bar of soap and then rest....and can go back to the shower in the afternoon to do it again if not better.

Crazy things I will do....I would stand on my head if it helped in the end. I rub on door jams.....(what a sight) but I use it as a tool to move fluid in the back muscle when I can I can feel like and itchy, twingelike pain.

This is such a crazy disease.....

I hope you find your fix. I have become inventive in the tricks I play to be better. I also use trigger point injections by my Neurologist. we have found that I will get tendoitis of the connecting tendons if the muscles are so loaded with trigger points. The spastic muscle pulls against them and they get inflamed....I use heat and a couple times I received a bit of steroid into the tendom to quiet it down. As well as SOMBRA cream.

EYES WIDE OPEN is my saying. I journaled my issues to see what I could then use as a fix. What brought it on, what made it better......it was helpful.

From that came my toolbox and it has been the same for a long time now. I just recircle and use the tools again to get better. So I wish for you that this may help you. Look in the toolbox in resources, maybe there is something there. To the right ......>. All my best,
Nancy B

nononsenselady responded:
Oh Sparky, I am so sorry! I feel for you. We all KNOW what you are dealing with in varrying degrees of understanding. One thing I don't see mentioned much is how we all need to drink LOTS of water. I think that would help a lot. I know I don't get enough. It seems that is one thing I read over and over in health sources. I can't get any narcotics anymore. What I have now that really helps me sleep (can't sleeping pills anymore either) is Remeron. It has really helped me. I actually sleep better than I did with prescription sleeping pills. It is a prescription. I seem to feel better too. The bad thing is it increases your appetite resulting in weight gain.

The biggest thing that helps me on a daily basis is the TENS. You can buy that on the internet, but if you have never used on you need to have a doctor show you. I wonder if you could use that on your ribcage. I think that partly just distracts you from your pain. Like everyone says, you just have to find what works for you. That is what works for me.
Laurie

booch007 replied to nononsenselady's response:
Laurie,

GREAT thought the TENS unit! It is not just a distraction...it competes against the signals in the nerves and numbs the area. (I guess you can say it confuses the nerves function and the return to the brain of "pain here" is no longer able to be sent.)

Great idea. I got mine from the Chiropractor and they set it up. BUT I got the pads from the internet and saw you can pick one up yourself.

Good luck with this, we all want you better.......Nancy B

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
369 of 396 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.