Skip to content
Sexual Side Effects
An_254338 posted:
Hi folks. My first time posting. I've been on Cymbalta for about 6 months and have been experiencing some side effects. I didn't really notice a change to my libido, but did notice that I wasn't able to climax. At first I didn't relate the two, but when I googled Cymbalta, low and behold there you are. So my doctor wants to take me off and has suggested Neurotin, Lyrica, or Savella. Any luck with these? I am wondering whether I should go it alone, without those meds. I take Flexeril regularly at night to help me sleep and take Tylenol like it's candy. I have chronic migraines and have had trouble with preventatives in the past (reactions to both Topamax and Zonegran). Now I'm also on Petadolex (a butterbur extract) but I'm unsure if it's helping. The Cymbalta seemed to help a bit, but I am still fatigued, waking in the night, headachy, and painful.

Suggestions?

Glad to be part of this community. Thanks.

bette_kaffitz responded:
An,

Sorry about the unintended consequences of your Cymbalta. What a shame, that a possibly helpful medication would take away one of life's great gifts.

Hopefully some other medications will help you without the same problem. I have--over the years--used Neurontin (mild improvement, no side effects), Lyrica (could not tolerate--could not start urine stream--OUCH!), and Savella (some relief, no side effects).

All of these meds have been used to treat FM. Different ones help different people. For example, Neurontin is good for nerve type symptoms--numbness, tingling, weakness.

I'm sorry you are going to have to start back on the trial and error process of finding your best mix. It's a pain in the rear, the back, the neck, the head, and anyplace else that decides to hurt.

Hope you find the right medication(s) with as little fuss and wait as possible.

Bette

missist responded:
I'm happy with neruontin also it is very cheap--since it is older and a generic is availble- I take that-- gabapentin. Lyrica is gonna be a pretty penny. Personally don't know much about savella but I know others do.

Anon_10089 responded:
Hello-

Savella is probably the closest to Cymbalta in how it works chemically. Both are SNRI's, affecting the serotonin and norepinephrine neurotransmitters. Savella, from what I understand, works more on the norepinephrine, so your particular side effect would probably go away. Many people have liked Savella but some have found they can only tolerate a very low dose.

Lyrica and Neurontin were originally anti-convulsants that are now often used for neuropathic pain. I took Neurontin years ago but didn't receive much benefit. I've come to realize, though, that I don't really have neuropathic pain (burning, tingling, skin hurting, etc). I mostly have deep muscle aches so I don't think, for me, it targeted the correct issue. Both can cause weight gain and can be sedating. Many people, though, find enough relief to be ok with the weight gain and as with most meds, side effects wear off after a few weeks.

Another med you could try is Wellbutrin. This is an antidepressant that affects norepinephrine. You might be able to take it along with the Cymbalta. It is often given to men when they are treated for depression and have sexual side effects. I'm kind of assuming you're a woman so it could work for you too. I currently take it for depression and I find it helps me have more energy and less fog.

I was told that 500 mg of Magnesium and 100mg of vitamin B2(riboflavin) per day can help prevent migraines. My neurologist said you have to give it a good 6 months to work.

I'm not a healthcare professional, I'm just pretty familiar with these meds. Of course consult your doctor or pharmacist.

So much of FM is this constant reshuffling of meds and vitamins!

dollbug replied to Anon_10089's response:
FYI****
Hello....I wanted to say that below are several posts listed under *Savella Conversation* I think it is. Nana B, who is a nurse explains some things about it. I think she takes a very small amount of Savella and it has helped her cope daily.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

missist replied to dollbug's response:
Amitryptiline and Nortryptiline are also possible choices. One works on serotonin the other works on both serotonin and norepenephrin( I think that is the correct word) I use both gabapentin and nortryptiline as well as celebrex.

Also what one person said about muscle-- 'maybe' but maybe also you have nerves causing the muscle aches--in my case I definitely know that my muscles are being touched off by nerves. I do get relief from gabapentin--enough so that I have had it increased. I am gaining weight though; and tired--so that I don't know If it is good. I'm starting a new med today for something that is probably unrelated but may work for more than one thing--if I find it is really useful for fibro I'll let folks know and maybe I will kick gabapentin off my list. I do not need to be fatter.
Mary

franr responded:
Hi So sorry you are experiencing these side effects. I have been started on Grailse which is a long acting neurotin and have had good results but it is expensive. Unfortunely so many of these drugs have side effects in one form or another. Regular neurotin is good but for me it diminished its effect .My MD donot want to put me on the new drugs because of the side effects on cardiovascular system. One thing, please be careful with the tylernol too many is no good and could affect the liver .I hope you find the right combination....Fran R

ajnsmom responded:
I'm on Neurotin (Gabapentin), and it does help me. I also take Flexeril and Amitriptyline (Elavil). I hope you're having a good day.

Linda S.

Anon_10089 replied to missist's response:
I agree with you. I think many people with FM do have neuropathic issues. I think it was Linda R. who talked about being diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy and it got me thinking and I researched that and neuropathic pain in general. It made me realize that I don't think I have that kind of pain, which explains why I didn't get much benefit from the neurontin.

That's what makes me annoyed at the Lyrica commercials on TV. It makes people, and doctors, think we all need the same thing and have the same issues. I think some day FM with be broken down into different categories.

alannanee responded:
I've never taken Cymbalta but have been on Zoloft since I was quite young. It has affected climax for me always, but I have come to accept it. I take Lyrica currently as well as Zoloft, and I find the combination helps with pain. If I run out of one (they're from 2 different docs) my pain drastically worsens. Perhaps you can investigate a combination of a gentler antidepressant as well as something like Lyrica? Remember that with antidepressants, every person is so drastically different than no one drug works the same. I've also found that I only need a low dose of Lyrica because it works so well with my Zoloft.

Good luck to you!

coryc responded:
Thanks for all the replies. I have been off of the Cymbalta for a month or so. Good news - sexual side effects are gone. Bad news - Cymbalta withdrawal was a BITCH. Now I'm settling in to my regular pain. My MD and I are holding off on meds, other than the Flexeril, and I may look at Savella. We will see.

billthespider responded:
BE VERY CAREFUL!!!! I was on trazadone and I got one(priapism). They put me in acome for 4 days than they ran a needle from the head of the oenile shat down to the clot and forced all the blodd out that was caught, now i have ED and constant groin pain. Of course I do not remember any of it, I was in acoma.
But being single at 55 I have had my share of women now its time to move from that life. As God says "As one door closes, Another door opens"
Peace out
"Invvisable diseases"
Just because U can't see them doesn't mean thear not thier!

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
198 of 215 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.