Skip to content
Numbness in hands and feet
ajnsmom posted:
Hi, I was wondering if any of you have numbness as a fibro symptom? Mine may be because of my diabetes, but I was wondering if it could be the fibro. I have an doc apt in December but wanted to get your thoughts also. It's hard to get dressed with buttons and it's getting harder to turn doorknobs and I keep dropping things.

Linda S.

dollbug responded:
Hello....MiMi in NC....I use to have major problems with my hands...mine turned out to be carpal tunnel though. I also had problems with my feet, feeling like I was walking on pins and needles. I think that the magnesium and Vitamin D helps with this now. I also take other vitamins and supplements as well. My hands are so much better....but the odd thing is that it took me falling and breaking my wrists before they got good enough for me to say that I do not have major problems with them now. I had to tell you though that I have had 7 hand surgeries - 2 of them being where I fell and broke each wrist. (at different times)...the rest of the surgeries was carpal tunnel.

Have you tried the wrist supports? I use to wear mine when I was having so many problems. You can get these at walmart. You might also try soaking them in Epsom salts or do hot wax therapy on them. I also did these things which helped some.

I think that hand pain is one of the worse pains that people can have. I do not quite understand why unless it is because they consist of such small bones.

You can also soak your feet as well. I also have a foot massage which I used some.

Have you tried the tens unit? This is also a good tool for us FMers.

I hope you will find something that will help you soon.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

ajnsmom replied to dollbug's response:
Thanks, Mimi, for your quick reply. Fortunately they don't hurt, just go numb. I don't think it 's carpal tunnel. I had that years ago, but that wouldn't affect my feet. I figure it's probably nerve damage from diabetes as I have had for about 34 years. So it may not be related to the fibro, but I think someone on here mentioned having trouble opening doors, etc. I hope you're having a good evening. Stay warm!

Linda S. (Jax, FL, and it's brrrr cold here too)

painfullyexhausted responded:
I feel like it's more like my finger tips and toes. I wouldn't say completely numb just less sensitive. I do have problems with grasping things at times or opening doors/jars. I do believe mine is from fibro.

A lot of people with fibro also have Reynald's syndrome. Not sure that I spelled it correctly but it does cause numbness in the fingers and toes as it progresses. Sometimes my fingers and toes turn white-ish almost like the color of a corpse. Don't know how else to explain it lol. I do know that my fingers and toes are always cold and are very sensitive to hot and cold but that can be related to fibro as well as Reynald's. No pain with it just the typical fibro discomfort.

Maybe look it up and see if you have similar symptoms or ask your doctor about it. Just a thought, hope it was helpful

Good luck !

kmart51 responded:
hi linda, this sounds similar to me. I have these symtoms as well. i have diabetes II, I have arthritis and probably fm they think. I noticed to that im losing some of my ability to use my hands. i drop stuff, i cant turn or open stuff. Im just interested in knowing what others symptoms are cause i new to all this fibrom. stuff. i have arthritis and the pain is bad. Days like yesterday i couldnt get outta bed cause the pain takes over your entire body. I take gabapentin, ibuprofen and on bad days, vicodin. Its so hard cause i have to work fulltime, when i get home i dont have the energy to exercise. its like a catch 22.

ajnsmom replied to painfullyexhausted's response:
Thanks for your response. I'll check into that. I have heard of it as well. Hope you had a good day today.

Linda S. (Jax, FL)

ajnsmom replied to kmart51's response:
Hi, thanks for your response. It sounds like we have a lot in common. I have type I diabetes, fibro, and osteoarthritis, among other things. It's even getting hard to type. I hope you had a good day.

Linda S. (Jax, FL)

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.