Skip to content
Just Saying Thank You
missist posted:
Hi all, I just wanted to say thank you to all of you here. I think if I had not had the chance to talk with all of you here in recent months I would have had a much harder time accepting my new challenge getting that epilepsy diagnosis. because I have come to see that fibro doesn't have to be all that horrible and lonely I seem to have had no problem tagging myself with another weird unpredictable illness.

So far in dealing with this I've noticed some mood swings--I have a little time almost daily on the new med where I would kind of like to hide and cry. Decided to push on through that--realizing its not me its the drug.

Invited my kids & their kids over for football and dinner today -as usual-- just a little late cuz I was debating cancelling. Then I realized-- hey this is my family and I love their company and if I take a little nap before they come I'll be fine.

Seeing the example of the 'old timers' here has made me realize I should at this point in life be one of the 'wiser' folks especially when I have about 30 years experience with this goofy fibro business.

So I have gone from looking for solace to looking help others.
Thank you again folks for showing me how that works.
Mary

dollbug responded:
Hello Mary....I think that this is a good support group....it is sad that we all have to be here but it is good that we can learn from others and have support when we need it. I think that this is what it is all about anyway.

I cook lunch every Sunday for my group. My younger son is a firefighter and they work weird shifts...so of course, he does not get to attend every Sunday. There are times when I am NOT sure I am in my right mind doing this...but it is a way for them all to have a decent meal together and for us to see all of the GC as well. Years ago we use to go to my DH parents every Sunday for lunch as well...so this is kind of a *family tradition* for us. It is funny that I think we are the only ones (out of the group of 8 children) that continued it.

Normally DH and his family get together sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas....not sure though that they will happen this year. We are all getting older now and some of them are now in their 80's...this is a huge group if they all attend...there are always a few though that do not make it for one reason or another. This is actually what life is all about getting together with those we love and care about.

I think it is good that we can do whatever it takes.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

bette_kaffitz responded:
Mary,

How nice that you had your family with you today. We had our older son and the friend of DH who usually comes for Sunday dinner. It was warm yet before a squall line that will be coming through in the next few hours, so hubby grilled us some London broil. Pretty darn good. Probably the last time this season and a big surprise this late in the year.

It's a shame that you are having to take on the thrills and spills of one more illness. Hopefully, the new normal will settle in with you feeling much better--and soon.

Have a good week, Mary. Try to go a little easy on yourself if you can.

Bette

mnjeepguy responded:
Mary, I never mentioned that my twin has mild epilepsy. He would lose time. Basically lose a few minutes or longer where he had no idea what happened, even wile driving. He has been on meds for it for about 6 years now and rarely has a seizure, and only if he takes a pill late of forgets it. I hope you adjust to your meds over time and avoid the side effects.

I would not be in the same place without this group either.

Cory

bette_kaffitz responded:
Mary,

If you are not using a pill organizer, now is the time to start. As Cory has attested, it is very important to remember to take your medication and take it on time.

My husband has 18 different medications that he takes at different times of day. He'd never get it right if I didn't fill his organizer every Wednesday.

Depending on how many times a day you have to take medications, you can get these containers for from $1 up to $20 (for the really big one) at your pharmacy. Put your supplements and vitamins in there too. It not only helps you remember to take them, you can tell at a glance WHETHER you took them already or not.And doing it all one time a week saves a lot of energy, too.

DH and I each have 2 of them. His are blue, mine are pink. The extras are for if we'll be away past one week. I put our names on them in magic marker on the front and address stickers on the side. I added our phone numbers too, in case we ever misplace them.

Hope this helps,

Bette

missist replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
Hi again all.. Bette-- I have a morning organizer & a night one. the only pill I take mid-day at this time is gabapentin . So that's easy.

Mimi--absolutely a very good support group.

Cory-- thank you for telling me about your twin--I've actually lost time for a long time-- never really thought about it until now.
The funny thing is I miss turns and such when driving or I realize I'm almost home & can't remember all the driving. But lately I can't remember a lot--so I am really hoping this med will help my memory--the neuro said it would.

Mary

bette_kaffitz replied to missist's response:
Mimi,

The larger organizers with 4 X a day compartments could help you. But, maybe not.

Good luck with your gabapentin. If I remember correctly, I worked up to 1800 mg./day when I was on it. Thank goodness it is now generic. It used to be quite expensive.

Bette

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
374 of 401 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.