Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
newbie reaching out
lunakissed posted:
I have been disabled since 2007. Fibro, spinal stenosis, DDD, as well as PTSD, BPD, rapid Bi-Polar disorder....lovely mix of toxic issues!!! But I am doing something about it and the first thing is to connect with people. That is HARD as I have only one friend in my life. My BPD has held it's grip for so many years that I ceased to reach out to people a long time ago. I am doing this as a first step to help myself.

Currently in a program called DBT, geared towards people with BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) so joining this group is a good thing for me.

Anyway, here I am 58 years old and I feel like I am standing in a grade school playground wanting desperately to fit in and make friends.

Thanks all

dollbug responded:
Hello lunakissed and welcome. I am sure you will find lots of good support here. This is a good group of people who do not mind sharing what they have found that has made a difference for them.

It is good to talk to people who know and understand exactly what you are going through. Living with FM is a tough challenge for most of us.

You did not say if you are taking anything now or what you have found that has helped you cope better.

I would like to encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level which is important to a lot of people these days. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well. It requires a simple blood test BUT you must ASK the doctor to run it, since it is NOT included in the normal blood work that the doctors so.

I hope you will check out the info here under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and review the *member toolbox* as well. I am sure you will find some good *tools* that perhaps you have not thought of trying.

I hope you will join right in and post often, ask questions and make comments and/or suggestions. It is normally a bit slower on the week-ends than it is during the week. But some of us is here most every day.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

bette_kaffitz responded:
Luna,

If you haven't yet, please check the TIPS to the right. There are so many things to try to help you feel better. Some will sound like they are doable. Try them.

One of my favorite is a warm tub bath at night and a warm shower in the morning. The moist heat is something that humans have been using for a long time. Think of the Roman baths. (I saw a show on PBS where chimps were luxuriating in a warm water pool with a look of sheer excstacy on their faces!)

Whether you choose prayer or meditation or some other technique, find something that you can train yourself to do and learn on good days. Then when the bad days come (and they do come) you will just automatically go into your quiet place.

If you have a good relationship with your primary care provider, this will allow you to ask for extra help when you need it. If you have not felt this mutual trust, then perhaps a rheumatologist or neurologist (my favorite) can be your go to person. This professional has to see you on good days and on bad days. If she only sees you on a day when you're managing well, dressed stylishly, and with makeup on, she will have no idea of how much your illness effects and affects your life. Be sure that the doctor you trust sees you when you are in a major flare. Try to be clean, but wear comfortable clothes, no makeup, and do not try to be upbeat if it is too much of an effort. The difference between a good day and a bad day is real. Your doctor has to experience it. Then she will be able to understand you and your illness.

I know that you are dealing with multiple problems. It may seem that putting forth the effort to manage your fibro is too much trouble, but please try. Having less pain, less fatigue, less fog, and more control of your fibro is worth it. You'll see.

Bette

rowan73 responded:
HELLO LUNAKISSED!! I am anewbie as well. by a few days. with a bad keyboard, so bear with me. I have PTSD as well, for more things than you can shake a stick at. Rape, molest, etc"026 Anywho"026I have never had the chance to have an up day. Just a deep ever encompassing depression. I have finally found a shrink that has helped me find the right drug to give me some actual good days. YAY"026I've never tried groups"026I never had friends in school and was picked on/pinched whatever because my parents moved so much..Always then new kid. So I get where you're coming from. I think we've found the right place. Fibro causes depression. It makes us feel isolated from those around us and misunderstood. That's why I'm divorced. He had never lived with pain, so he couldn't understand and wasn't patient. I've learned to realize he wasn't as big of a jerk as I thought, he was just human. With a bit of jerk. LOL
I think we can finally let our hair down. Finally, people who understand!!! Wow! who'd thunk it.. Keep your chin up, winter completely blows on so many levels but the sun is rising in more ways than one here. YeeHaw!
Smile you're never alone, and laughter is the best medicine. As Bobby McFerrin said Don't worry, be happy...an anthem for me...remember stress makes it worse ;)

marly26 responded:
Hello lunakissed and welcome to WebMD. I to was somewhat reserved when I came on here. My issues were Psoriasis, Fibromyalgia, Psoratic Arthritis, Spinal Stenosis as well as Chronic Back Pain. There are so many on this site to talk with you about your medical issues' or even chat.
My experience on this site, everyone has made me feel so welcome, and to be myself. I certainly hope your experience here is as wonderful to you as it has been to me. Take care and enjoy!!

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
360 of 387 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.