Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chronic pain patient
lrb69 posted:
I am a chronic migrainer added with that is major back and neck issues. My doctor here in Missouri has discontinued using the narcotic I use for pain management. I've tried looking for a new doctor but I get stereotyped. I can actually see their eyes glaze over. It's unfair, I've been a sufferer for 18 years and I've been to 6 neurologists, 3 headache clinics and chiropractors and pain management. I know what works for me. I don't ask for anything are any more than I need. I'm honest about my condition, willing to sign a contract with a physician that's willing to work with me. Any suggestions?

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....sorry that you are dealing with so much right now. So do you also have FM with your other health issues? I know that I have read in doing my own personal research about FM that Magnesium helps some people who experience migraines. Now it does take time for you to get enough in your body to work but it might be worth a try. I take Magnesium Malate which helps with my FM pain. I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to *control my FM pain by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well*.

I do know that doctors do NOT like giving narcotics to people who have FM....we have a chronic illness and most narcotics are used for short term issues.

I do hope you will check out the info here under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and read the *member toolbox*...as you will find some good *tools* that just might help you cope better.

I would also encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level which is important to a lot of people. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

I have also found that P5P helps my lower back pain. This is just a processed supplement of Vitamin B 6 but I am here to say that it has worked wonders for me since April. I am so very thankful that my daughter heard a local doctor on TV one day talking about how some people can not process vitamins. My daughter called me and said she thought I should do some research on it and to try it. I did and I am so very thankful for having this information.
You have to get the vitamins at a vitamin store.

I hope you will find something soon that will work for you.

Hang in there and figure out what it will take.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

It sounds like you have done it all right. I can't figure why a doctor you have had a long relationship with who knows you are stable on these meds would suddenly change you.

I can see Doctor shopping would be fruitless though. What was his explanation? What did he offer in it's place? Do you use Imetrex? My headaches are from my neck and trigger points in the muscles. I get them injected and wa-la headache is gone. My neurologist said, so many have them due to the muscles.

I do believe to treat the cause (if you can find it) is a better avenue than trying to tell the body NOT to feel it.

I hope you get a plan in place to help you. Heat, massage all the non medical tricks you can come up with. It is so hard when a sudden change is handed us.

All my best, NancyB

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
462 of 537 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.