Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dosage of Neurontin
kity66502 posted:
I recently lost my job and health insurance. After being on Lyrica several years I could no longer afford it. My Dr. switched me to Neurontin 300mg twice a day at this dose it doesn't even begin to put a dent in the pain. I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on what dosage has seemed to worked best for them. I want to be able to talk to my Dr. about increasing my dose. I've done some research and it seems like most people take anywhere from 300 to 800 mg 3 to 4 times a day.

Thank you

missist responded:
I have an RX for 300-3x a day--I do not take it every single day--often I skip the middle dose if I need to get something done becuase it makes me more fatigued than usual. I notice the difference-so I know it does something, but I I also use nortryptiline at night & celebrex 2x a day--which I'm not sure celebrex would help everyone with Fibro--although it defintely helps me. I think Gabapentin is a great tool--but you may need to put more tools in your box. Also--vitamins-- D & B's help.

missist replied to missist's response:
With no insurance or job-- celebrex would be out--it is spendy. But you could try a generic version of aleeve and see if it is useful. amitryptiline or nortriptiline at night in a low dose helps with pain. Both are very cheap as is gabapentin.

franr responded:
Hi Kity

Well one thing I do know about neurotin. Your MD can order your dosing up to 1800 mg a day. Usually they start low dosing 300-600 2x a day and then increase it.But only do this on your MD's order.It takes about 2-3 weeks to kick in. Also you may need something to help you sleep besides. Also discus this with your MD.I took neurotin for years, Now I am on a long acting neurotin which the MD recently increased because my fibro is kicking up and this is the worse time of year for me. I hope this helps. Hugs...Fran R

mia1129 responded:
I did not feel like Lyrica helped my pain. It did help with the itching, twitching and sunburn feeling but for me the side effects were pretty rough. I could not wait for the drunken feeling to wear off. I have thought about whether I would do better on Neurotin so I appreciate your post even though I can't offer advice. 300 mg is unimaginable since I couldn't take 150 lyrica but it did seems helpful for the non pain symptoms. I like that you said that you researched it too and hope you have a doctor that will listen. It is a real challenge to figure out what is the fibromyalgia and what is the side effects of the drug sometimes. Good luck.

meg_k replied to mia1129's response:
I take 300 mg morning and midday and 600 mg at night. I agree with previous comments that u can go way up on your dose. I find I acclimate and feel less drowsy over time. A little green tea (caffeine) takes the edge off. Different meds work on different types of pain, too. Neuron tin is good for nerve pain but I think less so for muscle/joint.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
368 of 395 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.