Skip to content
Dosage of Neurontin
kity66502 posted:
I recently lost my job and health insurance. After being on Lyrica several years I could no longer afford it. My Dr. switched me to Neurontin 300mg twice a day at this dose it doesn't even begin to put a dent in the pain. I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on what dosage has seemed to worked best for them. I want to be able to talk to my Dr. about increasing my dose. I've done some research and it seems like most people take anywhere from 300 to 800 mg 3 to 4 times a day.

Thank you

missist responded:
I have an RX for 300-3x a day--I do not take it every single day--often I skip the middle dose if I need to get something done becuase it makes me more fatigued than usual. I notice the difference-so I know it does something, but I I also use nortryptiline at night & celebrex 2x a day--which I'm not sure celebrex would help everyone with Fibro--although it defintely helps me. I think Gabapentin is a great tool--but you may need to put more tools in your box. Also--vitamins-- D & B's help.

missist replied to missist's response:
With no insurance or job-- celebrex would be out--it is spendy. But you could try a generic version of aleeve and see if it is useful. amitryptiline or nortriptiline at night in a low dose helps with pain. Both are very cheap as is gabapentin.

franr responded:
Hi Kity

Well one thing I do know about neurotin. Your MD can order your dosing up to 1800 mg a day. Usually they start low dosing 300-600 2x a day and then increase it.But only do this on your MD's order.It takes about 2-3 weeks to kick in. Also you may need something to help you sleep besides. Also discus this with your MD.I took neurotin for years, Now I am on a long acting neurotin which the MD recently increased because my fibro is kicking up and this is the worse time of year for me. I hope this helps. Hugs...Fran R

mia1129 responded:
I did not feel like Lyrica helped my pain. It did help with the itching, twitching and sunburn feeling but for me the side effects were pretty rough. I could not wait for the drunken feeling to wear off. I have thought about whether I would do better on Neurotin so I appreciate your post even though I can't offer advice. 300 mg is unimaginable since I couldn't take 150 lyrica but it did seems helpful for the non pain symptoms. I like that you said that you researched it too and hope you have a doctor that will listen. It is a real challenge to figure out what is the fibromyalgia and what is the side effects of the drug sometimes. Good luck.

meg_k replied to mia1129's response:
I take 300 mg morning and midday and 600 mg at night. I agree with previous comments that u can go way up on your dose. I find I acclimate and feel less drowsy over time. A little green tea (caffeine) takes the edge off. Different meds work on different types of pain, too. Neuron tin is good for nerve pain but I think less so for muscle/joint.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
485 of 560 found this helpful