Skip to content
Men with Fibro.
justaman31178 posted:
Hello friends. I was wondering how many members here are men. I don't check in often but I do check in Web MD looking for any new revelations or study results. I was diagnosed 10 years ago and my Dr. doesn't believe in it so I can get Lyrica and nothing else and living in a small community makes finding another almost impossible. I am a man and men aren't supposed to get it, OOPS, I will gladly give it back. lol
I was just reading that is affects men differently and I was looking for some specifics. I know of a couple and even they are similar to the female sufferers. Like all of you, I have a long list of conditions to go with it and each of them causes pain as well, so I feel for everyone. I hope you Ladies don't mind a man sticking his nose in and asking questions and I can promise understanding and respect at all times.

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome.....(and I do mean welcome - as anyone who wants to post is indeed welcome here) We have a couple of men here.....Cory is one who posts often and I am sure he will stop by and see your post and hopefully share some info with you....but in the meantime, I hope you will check out the info here under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and read the *member toolbox* as well....you will find some good *tools* and hopefully find something that you have NOT thought of trying before....that just might work for you.

Actually, I think all of us here would gladly give the wrath of the dragon, aka FM, back to where it came from....without thinking about it.....as I know I would in a heartbeat. I do NOT think anyone, in their right mind, would even have a second thought on returning it.

We use to have Dr. P here who shared a lot of info with us. He also has upclose and personal experience with dealing with it. You can read his posts here....check under *tips* and/or *resources* and I think there is a link which will allow you to view them. He was a great asset to our support group but Web MD decided to *downsize* the community and we no longer have him.

I would also like to encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level, which is important to a lot of people these days. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well. Do your own research on this.

We have a good group of FMers here and all of us are here to share what we have found that has helped us cope better. I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to *control my FM pain by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well*.....it took me a long time to find the *right combination of tools* and I am NOT painfree...but I am so much better now than I was when I first got sick.

Most of us here also have multiple health issues as well. So I think this is a common thing for a lot of FMers.

Fatigue is my *biggest problem* right now. I have been looking for something which might help it but have not found anything yet which works.

I hope you will post often, ask questions, make comments and/or suggestions and also be sure and fill out your *community profile* so others can learn more about you.
You can do this by clicking on *my community profile* which will take you to a user friendly site where you can put whatever you care to share. You can also read other users profile by clicking on their user name as well.

Take care and we look forward to hearing more about you.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

mnjeepguy responded:
Welcome, as I say to anyone who comes here for support, you are in a very good place. I continue to learn here every day.

To start, I had many aches and pains over the years I attributed to arthritis. At about 34 I went in for a full work up. I never get sick, have a healthy overall lifestyle, and weight. They called me "a vision of health" on paper with no reason for my chronic pain that they could explain after 2 separate rheumatologists went through it with me. The final result was throwing their arms up and suggesting fibro. They did not officially diagnose me with it either but I have been treated for it for it for the last 4 years.

If you have a hard time with your Dr. you need to drive to the next town or a bigger city for treatment. You can search here for a doctor in your area that treats it. There is a reason you have pain. Even if a cause can't be found you need to find a way to manage it and a doctor that wants the same for you.

As you know all meds have pros and cons so the answer may not even be a med but vitamins and other treatments. We each have to do the trial and error to see what works best. No two are exactly the same.

Being a man does pose some different challenges. I have more in common with the aches and pains of my 70plus year old neighbor lady with fibro than my male friends.

The best thing I have found to do is never give up and give into it. Do whatever you can to stay healthy and move even when you don't want to. Too much time sitting makes me worse. Doing too much does the same. Pace yourself. Most of us mean to but we have things to do. Whenever you can don't go past you own limits. We know when we do and regret it later.

This is a very good resource with very helpful ladies that don't mind us sticking our noses in here. We all help each other. I hope this helps a little.

Cory

missist replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Hi! Agreeing with Cory-- if your doctor doesn't believe in Fibro even-- fire him. Its bad enough to deal with it all without having to beg for help from someone like that. I've had more than one that was less than helpful too.
God bless!
Mary

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.