Skip to content
FrancoDM
Anon_501 posted:
Hello FrancoDM. I noticed you have posted several replies to other members on this support group, indicating that they do not have FM.

Have you read the WEBMD guidelines?

WebMD has NOT advised us that you have been given permission to provide medical information/advice to anyone here.

You did not say what kind of doctor you are OR if you have a medical degree but you are indicating to some of our members here that they DO NOT HAVE Fibromyalgia.

This is a support group and we are here to share our own personal experiences with what may or may not help another FM with ways to cope better. Most of the members here have their own medical doctors to monitor their health.

Perhaps you should read the guidelines that WebMD has provided to all of the members here.

booch007 responded:
I saw this too...I have reported it as our right to inform the WebMD staff of people out of the guidlines.

I just did it quietlt and hope that it is pulled.

It is easy to start a post war around here, so quiet is better than bring attention with responses. It also takes energy from us to it too.

As Always, Nancy B

booch007 responded:
WOW I had no idea how many posts you made with this TMS diagnosis. We truly don't appreciate the arrival of a stranger to the board with a CURE for our issues.

People do get misdiagnosed and it is a sad event when it happens, but with this diagnosis...it is usually the end of a long rule out line that has been worked up.

As this Anon (oldie) has stated......it breaks the guidlines to do what you did. Thank you anyway for the attempt, but it will only confuse the fmily.

All the posts were reported and I am hopeful will be pulled.

Nancy B

francodm responded:
I am not a medical doctor nor do I have a medical degree...however, a medical degree is not needed to understand what Dr. Sarno has taught and used to successfully treat thousands. In his 40 years of practice, he determined that Fibro is a severe form of TMS - and TMS is very curable...there are many, many, many examples of this.

What interests me most is helping members achieve a cure for their pain and suffering, not just coping mechanisms (pills, injections, activity restriction) that prolong the suffering.

Before you sit and pass judgement on me and reach out to WebMD to pull my important information, please take 15 minutes to watch the YouTube clip (I posted it before, but I'll post it again now):

youtube.com/watch?v=2B2IE0o7diU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Then bring this info to your doctors if you still aren't convinced and try to have him/her disprove it. They won't be able to. Everyone on this message board needs to know about TMS as it is their key to unlocking better health.

rosielou replied to francodm's response:
There are better ways of getting your message to us, that would follow the guidelines. Blowing in and trampling over people's postings is rude.

Sending a bazillion posts with no real information in them about this TMS, but having links to other sites, feels risky and smacks of spam. And it's against the rules, like it or not.

We are not closed to new thoughts, but have been told that nothing is wrong, or here's a cure, too many times over the years and decades.

If you want us to learn about your miracle cure, then open your own discussion and write about it. Don't stomp on other posts and don't just put in a bunch of links. As Caprice would have said, click on the Orange "Post Now" button at the top of the page.

See? It's really pretty easy. Do it that or go away.

agrapina replied to francodm's response:
I am familiar with Dr. Sarno's work.
The cause of 'Fibromyalgia' ( in quotes because it is a label, a name for a condition of unknown etiology), is not in the head.
If Sarno has helped people, those people do not have Fibromyalgia, as it is generally defined here.

I'm sure in some cases, back and neck pain are exacerbated by mental states and can be helped by changing attitudes and ways of relating to your environment.

While FM may be a symptom of a deeper root issue, it is nothing close to being 'all in your head'. This is kind of thinking is not progressive but takes us back to the middle ages.
Remember that menopausal women used to be institutionalized because it was thought that hormonal changes was all in their head.

Sarno and his ilk can all take a hike.

francodm replied to rosielou's response:
Rosielou - I'm sorry that my method of responding to member's posts seeking helpful information individually was offensive to you - that was not my intent. I simply thought that members would be more likely to see and learn about Sarno/TMS if it was a specific reply, as opposed to a completely separate discussion.

I can see by your comment that my posts contained "no real information" that you did not review the info...instead you are passing judgement in advance. The YouTube clips (which are completely safe to open) contain a wealth of information. It is better to post the link to a 15 minute video here than to post a transcript of the video - that would be too long, would exceed WebMD's posting character limit, and no one would want to read all that anyway.

Take some time to review the videos - Dr. Sarno certainly will not say that there is nothing wrong or that it's all in your head....quite the contrary as he has found that TMS/Fibro causes real physical pain, pain which is a function of oxygen and blood being deprived in certain areas of the body. He has had tremendous success with his methods - the TMSwiki.org and thankyoudrsarno.org/tag/fibromyalgia are full of success stories.

kasie75 replied to francodm's response:
I am one of the people you told had this TMS. I will watch your clips and do some research, however I don't appreciate someone giving me a different DX that I have never heard of. You are not a doctor, you have not examined me, you do not know all my symptoms and yet you tell me oh its easy to cure. Like I said I will look into this, but you have no right to DX without a medical degree and without knowing all of the facts. If this is something that tells me its due to an emotional state then I will not believe it. Many or should I say everyone has trauma in their live and not everyone gets fibro from it. Just do not tell me I have something when you do not know me!
Kasie

francodm replied to agrapina's response:
Agrapina - let's work backwards here...the physical pain (as discovered and theorized by Sarno) is a result of oxygen/blood being reduced to certain parts of the body. The cause of that dynamic is an overstimulation of the Autonomic Nervous System. Sarno's theory is that there is an emotion influence on this. If you do not believe that emotions in the mind can cause physical symptoms, then simply watch someone give a speech in front of 1,000 strangers...unless they are public speaking experts, their hands might sweat and get clammy and their face might blush a bit during the Q&A.

When you say "all in your head", that implies pain really isn't there and/or someone is making it up. If you review Sarno's theories, you'll find that this is EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what he teaches. That is unfortunately why so many suffering people never give his methods a chance - they misinterpret what he is saying and right him off.

Watch the 20/20 interview with Sarno on YouTube. John Stossel's brother rejects his theory for those exact reasons...but then he continues to suffer from neck pain and is even filmed hanging from a strange contraption from his ceiling. Meanwhile, John Stossel accepts the diagnosis, and has been free of pain for years.

francodm replied to kasie75's response:
Kasie

If your doctor has diagnosed you with Fibro, then you have TMS - they are one and the same (however while fibro patients are being given coping techniques, TMSers are offered a cure.) This link wasn't discovered by me, but rather Dr. Sarno who was trained at Columbia University and practiced rehabilitation medicine for over 40 years at NYU Hospital.

You are correct in saying that not everyone that has trauma gets TMS...the current stressors of life only account for 1/3 of the equation - the other 2/3 are Personality Type (the most important factor) and childhood experiences. I know this as a fact since my wife and I are both exposed to essentially the same daily stressors, but she has never suffered from a chronic pain condition, while I have...and if you look at our personality types and upbringings, we are completely different.

Take a look at the Personality Types and see if you can relate to these (Perfectionism and Goodism are the most critical ones that fit the diagnosis):

www.tmswiki.org/ppd/TMS_Personality_Traits

In regard to a cure, it is not necessarily easy, but some do recover from years of chronic pain in a matter of weeks (watch the videos for examples)...others are less lucky and their pain takes months to finally disappear, but overall, the success rate is very high.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.