Skip to content
Hump Day ****12/11/2013 ****14 days til Christmas ****
dollbug posted:
Yes, today is hump day again....and it is only 14 more days until Christmas, can you believe it? MiMi in NC and it is COLD here...but thank goodness there is no rain today...we get a break, for now. I think there is another *front* headed our way. But I guess we can expect this as it is Christmas time. A lot of rain expected for the week-end...which is not good. People will have to be out and about getting their last minute shopping done.

Here is hoping everyone had a good night's sleep and I hope today will be a good day for us all, with little to no pain.

Welcome to the new members also who have joined our support group recently. I am sure that each of you will soon find something that will help you cope better. Learn all you can about what others have found that has helped them cope better and try what you think might help you as well. Heating pad and learning how to pace, pace and pace even more. Taking a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts right before bedtime just might help you sleep better...as we do need our sleep. Sleep allows the body to repair. Lack of sleep can sure cause the pain level to increase. Eating right and drinking plenty of *water* might also help you as well. Getting your Vitamin D level checked which just might make a difference in your pain level. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

Whatever you decide to try....know that it is a process and it takes time and effort to find the *right combination of tools*....as you should allow at least 6-8 weeks of whatever you decide to do.

That's all. Enjoy the sunshine if you have it today.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

kasie75 responded:
Mimi need to pick your brain. You have told me since I have joined to get my vit D checked. Lately I have been so fatigued that once I get the kids off to school I am back in bed till around 2 in time to pick them back up. Anyway I finally made it to the doc today to get it checked. My doctor said there was this new report about how everyone is making a big fuss over Vit. D and he was going to print it out for me but something about his printer. Anyway he told me there was no point in getting my vit. D checked because we live in KS and everyone in KS is going to be low in the winter. He told me to take 1,000 vit D three times a day for a week then drop down to 1,000 one time a day. I forgot to tell him that the vit. I just started taking already has 1,000 in it. So I am confused I don't want to take to much but how will I know that without knowing what my level is. You have done so much research on this, and when I looked it up I seem to get mixed messages. Any advice for me on how much you think I should take or if the amount he told me seems right to you.
I also started taking flaxseed oil, and I am still on the Mag.
Anyway I so value your option, so let me hear it!!!
Thanks so much
Kasie

bette_kaffitz responded:
MiMi,

I'm with Kasie, MiMi. How high should the vitamin D level be. I saw my nurse practicioner yesterday and asked where my D is. She said it should be "over 30" and mine was 31. Is this cause for concern?

Is there a difference between dosage forms?

Counting the hours till the RFA on Monday. I'll keep everyone posted on how things go. In the waiting room to get my medical clearance for the surgery, I saw the nurse who usually watches over the nerve block patients during our 30 minute "recovery room" time. She's having her RFA on Monday, too. Talk about an endorsement for the procedure! Any little doubts in the back of my mind flew right out the window!

Hope all of you get the minimum of bad weather in the next few days as we all know the weather does effect our fibro. I feel so sorry for those in the W NY "snow belt." They have 20" on the ground now and could double that by Thursday night. There but for the grace of God. . . . We almost bought a farm right there, but lucked out--And it WAS pure luck. We'd never heard of a snow belt until our first winter here.

Towards better days,

Bette

dollbug replied to kasie75's response:
Hello Kasie....it seems like everyone has a different opinion now on Vitamin D....how much to take and what kind of effects the vitamin might have on people....it depends where you get the info. I am disappointed in the doctors who do NOT take checking the patients level....as this indeed would be a starting point...so perhaps the doctor knows more about your area than he shared with you. I have no idea. When I first got sick back in 2005....the doctor had checked my Vitamin D and failed to even tell me just how very low it was. I think it was 12. Anyway, I continued to be really very sick. At the time though my doctor was so sure that I was just depressed and he continued to treat me (or tried to anyway) with different medicines. Nothing though that I took helped the way I felt.

Anyway...at the time I had multiple health issues. So to make a long drawn out story short...I ended up going to a surgeon about a parathyroid problem. The surgeon reviewed my medical file and decided that my issues were probably just from low Vitamin D. (this turned out NOT to be the case either)...the surgeon said that I hardly even had any at all to do any good.

With my own personal knowledge and research and experience though would be to do exactly what your doctor as stated. I would take my multi and then take the 1000 iu 3 times a day.

Now I do want to give you a *heads up*...your Vitamin D might NOT be the solution to your fatigue issue. It took me over a year before I got my Vitamin D level back to *within the range, but it was still in the very low range*...and I am still having issues with the fatigue.

I would also encourage you though the next time that the doctor does your blood work, you should *insist* that he also check your Vitamin D level. Playing guess work with a person's level is NOT in anyone best interest...(my opinion).

I will also tell you this much. That when a person's Vitamin D is really on the low end of the range, it is normally very hard to easily get your numbers where they need to be. Some doctors would give you a prescription for 50,000 iu to bring your Vitamin D level up. So I would say that taking 4,000 iu daily should not be a problem for you...(at least for a while)...again, this is my own personal opinion, I know that I would NOT have a problem taking 4,000 iu a day.

From what I have read recently, there are still many questions about Vitamin D and just how important it may or may NOT be for people everywhere.

I think there will continue to be more research on it and hopefully one day someone will get it all figured out for all of us. But until that happens I would say that one opinion is not the final say so on the issue of Vitamin D.

I hope this answers your question.

Take care and continue to try different *things* until you find something that will help you cope better.

IF you find something that helps your fatigue....please share it as well.

MiMi

debrabrooks1960 responded:
Happy Wednesday to all,
Mimi, I love the picture of your DIL with her son. I would love to have a small baby in my life. My youngest great niece is now 7 years old going on 30! We find out tomorrow if my step mom actually has cancer in her lumph nodes. She had the lump removed last week from her breast. I have heard of more women having breast cancer this year than ever before. I pray every woman will keep her mammograms up to date.
The weather here in north Florida has been pretty. Tomorrow the high will be in the middle 60's. I sure feel bad for all that has to fight the winter weather. I fell twice on black ice living in Indiana. I twisted my right knee both times. Now I am looking at having to have a total knee replacement. That is why I moved to Florida so I would not have to worry about black ice. When I ask people that live here if they have ever had black ice, they just look at me and ask, "what is black ice?" So that gives me hope that we will not have any here.
Take care and I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas holiday. Soft hugs to all.

Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

dollbug replied to debrabrooks1960's response:
Hello Debbie and thanks....I wanted to let you know that actually the picture is my DD and new GS. Cade is a real joy in our lives. He is such a sweet little fellow. He is dearly loved by all of us.

Sorry to hear about your stepmom....thoughts and prayers for both of you. I hope things will work out for the best.

I also hope your sister is doing better as well.

Middle 60's tomorrow.....really??????? Nice weather for you.

Take care.

MiMi

fibroinsd responded:
A late evening hello..just mostly reading...I am so tired.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

kasie75 replied to dollbug's response:
Thanks so much Mimi, that helps. I will take this amount of Vit D. I am going to switch doctors anyway, I feel mine doesn't know enough about Fibro and he is kinda out of ideas on how to treat me even suggesting that I get back on meds that I have already tried and they do not work, so why would I take them again. Anyway once I find a new doc I will insist that it be checked and if I find anything to help with horrible chronic fatigue, I will let you know. Tired of being tired. Since I used to be so full of energy and would never stop maybe I just used it all up. LOL I know its not funny but sometimes you gotta laugh instead of cry!
Thanks for all your help!!
Hope you have a restful night.
Kasie

mnjeepguy responded:
Good evening everyone, it's supposed to get down to -16 tonight, the last of the sub-zero temps for the next several days. The plant was down today so it was in the low 40's in the plant. With all the steal and cement in there it felt even colder. Once home I took a scalding hot shower to warm up. I am glad I didn't have a reason to go back out tonight.

On a sad note, a local 19 year old college student may lose her hands and feet from frostbite. She was dropped off after a house party seemingly coherent, but after drinking. Her driver did not wait until she got into her house. This was at 9pm. The next morning after over 12 hours, a passersby found her unconscious on the neighbors porch. She had apparently passed out and spent the night outside when it was in the teens below zero. She was treated for extreme hypothermia and now is fighting to keep her hands and feet. This is terrible and was preventable.

Always dress for the weather as though you had to walk in it, not just for the car. You never know what could happen. Wait for your passengers to get into their homes, especially in poor weather.

Debbie, cancers are becoming far too common. It's downright scary. I wish your sister and step mom the best.

Kasie, I swear I can tell when my D is low. With most vitamins any more than our bodies need just don't get absorbed, probably why it takes so long to change the levels in our blood.

I hope you all have a good nights rest. Take care everyone.

Cory

kasie75 replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Hi Cory, nice to meet you!
That is such a sad story! That could have easily been me when I was that age (drank way to much) but I also did not have anyone tellingl me about all the dangers that can come from drinking. My daughter is 15 and has been a very good girl so far ( thank God) anyway I will have to tell her this story. I try to tell her all about these things so she is very aware of what can happen. That poor girl was just out to have fun and one bad choice can now change her life forever (very sad)!
So I was interested when you said you can tell when your vit D is low, I know we are all different but just wondering how do you feel when you are low???
Kasie

mnjeepguy replied to kasie75's response:
When I haven't taken my vitamins in a few days, sometimes I get depressed, a little less motivated to do anything. It seems like when I get back to it my mood improves in a couple days. I don't know for certain why, but I think it is why. Where I live we do not get enough sun all winter. Most who live here are deficient in D. Try to be consistent. I try to be but still forget some days. I use a pill organizer.

Good to know, so hopefully they will start helping me then. Here in KS, we have the same thing, even when the sun is shinning its to cold for me to be outside. About the only way I get sunlight is going to the pool in the summer with the kids. Using a pill organizer is smart. Now that I am taking all this supplements, and all the other meds I am on, dang I am 38 and take as many pills as a 80 yr old, I'm like a walking pharmacy lol.
It does seem like you have your fibro pretty well controlled, since you are able to help others out so much and can still work. That is great, so how long have you had it?
Kasie

Same age, I understand. I was not ever officially diagnosed with fibro, but have been treated for it for a couple years now because they could not find anything else wrong to explain my pain. I work because I have to support my family, and make a very good wage. I will do it as long as I can, I know it won't be for many more years at this rate. It is not easy. Sometimes I zone out while busy and don't realize my situation until I stop and sit still, then it's oops! This is going to hurt.

I would not say it's well controlled, but I get by, and my symptoms seem less severe than that of many here. I do the bare minimum meds that allow me to function, and am as proactive for my own health as I can be, to give me a fighting chance. I take it one day at a time.

I have had chronic pain every day for about 7 or 8 years I would guess. I have had joint pain since I was a kid. Some very stressful events occurred a while back that really seemed to kick it into high gear. I won't elaborate, but I was severely stressed out for a few years in a row and tried to hold it all in. Don't ever do that! It's very bad.

Cory

Oh I know I have had a lot of stress in my life and like you I held it in. I also had the most stressful job since about 2003 ( not working now) but all the stress in my personal life, plus all my long hours and keeping a job where I was not paid well enough for all of my stress and the load of work that was put on me. Partly my fault because I never said enough I wanted everyone to think I could handle so much.
Anyway I never realized all the stress I was putting on my body and how much I took upon myself until now. I guess I never realized what a toll stress can have upon your body, I know now.
Sorry you have had pain from such a young age. So all your blood work is ok? I already asked you in another discussion but just wanted to see if they have done any MRI, or CT scans. And if you are having problems with your ears have you ever seen a throat, nose and ear doc?
Ok I guess I have been noisy enough for now LOL
Have a good Sun evening.
Kasie

The ear nose and throat doc I saw for a sudden hearing loss is the one who thinks it's all linked to once cause. He thinks whatever it is attacked the nerves in my inner ear. No proof in the blood work, it all says I am in perfect health. They have done full blood work on me three times now. I have never had more than an x-ray yet, (except on my knee for a tear 8 years ago). I think a scan would be the next step. Something is going on and I would like to find it before it takes an ugly turn and I can't work any more.

I don't mind answering questions, it the best way for us all to find solutions.

Cory

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.