Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Flu too?
astueckradt posted:
I feel selfish because I was feeling pretty good so I hadn't logged on to the group for awhile. Last night when I was in so much pain that I wanted to go to the hospital, I was wishing that I had the strength to reach out for support. I guess I have the flu on top of my FM which started getting worse again last week. I would have sworn I was dying last night. I have (or used to have) a high pain tolerance. Is the flu always going to be this extreme pain now that I have FM? I didn't go to the doctor, I'm assuming 101.6 temp is just the flu. Looking for hope!!!

Adonna

franr responded:
Hi Adonna

So sorry you are feeling poorly.When you have a flare everthing is worse and the pain feels more pronounced. Did you have a flu shot??If you have a temp over 101 do you have any other symptoms, coughing ,chills sore throat. Are you spitting anything up??If you continue to run a temp call your MD it could be something more than the flu. Rest ,drink liquids and stay warm tonite.If you are still feeling poorly in am call the MD .Feel better. Fran

astueckradt replied to franr's response:
Thanks Fran! I have a sore throat too. The fever broke last night and today I'm coughing a lot. When the pain was unbearable I was sure it was something besides the flu. I kept thinking I was going to wake up in the hospital.

No flu shot....my FM symptoms started the day after I had immunizations for travel. The first doctor I saw told me to never get another injection if at all possible. Obviously she is not a regular MD. So many different perspectives on health these days. She is a chiropractor that also has a holistic healing center. I wish I could afford to try all of her natural options but yikes...I could go broke and may still not find relief. I guess I took my response down another path. Ha...sorry to sidetrack!

Thanks again! Adonna

kasie75 responded:
Same thing happened to me. I was feeling a little better than usual then about 6 weeks ago, I had so much pain and felt so bad I also wanted to go the hospital. I was just crying in my bed, had no fever but I felt like something bad was going on, worse than normal, called my doc and he said the hospital would do nothing and told me to come in. I saw him and he thought maybe I had a tick bite which was impossible, he did lab all was good as usual, he really had no idea. My sister told me she though I had a bug and brought me some supplements one being extra vit C. Anyway within a couple days I felt my normal self, well normal fibro self. But I guess I did have some kind of bug and put that on top of fibro and its a horrible painful mess.
Kasie

astueckradt replied to kasie75's response:
Thanks for sharing Kasie! I'm having a little anxiety over the whole situation. My fibro is doing well. Now this infection that came out is still an issue. (Head, sinus, throat, ears) I can't imagine dealing with such pain again but I'm sure it will come. Thanks again for sharing!!! I love this little community. Such a safe, friendly place!

bette_kaffitz responded:
Adonna and Kasie,

I hope you are both over whatever it was that had you so sick. I think you are going to have to accept that EVERYTHING is worse when you have FM.

I liken it to how you feel when you have your period. (Yes, I still remember those bad old days--even at 70.) A cold that you would normally just tough out was always so much worse when you had your period. I never once took a sick day for cramps or heavy bleeding, but if I got a cold or sore throat or any little thing when I had my period--I ALWAYS stayed home. Enough was enough.

Fibro is a condition that makes you hyper sensitive. That's just how it is. If you sprain your ankle, it will be worse. If you get a 24 hour bug, it will become a 72 hour bug. If you get a headache, it will be a migrane. This is not your imagination. It is real. This is your body ramped up to overdrive.

Unfortunately, this is the new normal. Do whatever it takes to make that cold, flu, headache, or whatever more bearable and less lengthy. Baby yourself. Use any sick days.

One final note: Just because any pain CAN be fibro, does not mean that every pain IS fibro. Adults who run a fever are sick. Get checked out. Once you are reassured it is not double pneumonia (been there, done that--before the pneumonia vaccine) you can follow your doctor's instructions, but be a little extra kind to yourself, too.

Bette

P.S. It is not to late to get that flu shot. It protects against more than one strain of flu. Even if you just had one, do you really want to get another?

booch007 responded:
All good hugs from the fmily here... I just wanted to chime in that I had had a fever that was slight....pain like I couldn't believe (deep to my bones) that I said to the ER....I can't take it. IT WAS PNEUMONIA. As an ICU nurse I still have trouble with this dx, but he was right on. He showed me the xray and the antibiotic cleared me of that new pain in 24*, so he was right for sure. I called the ER to tell them to let him know "HE NAILED IT". (they love to hear that.)

But I tell you this as we are not normal people anymore.
We need to be assessed if there is a change to the depth or quality of pain, fever lasting more than 24 hours, or vomitting diarrhea where we get more dehydrated. There are fixes and a need to be seen here.

I will tell you there is a terrible bronchitis (viral) going around here in lower NY. So many have it at work, walking in patients that I am treating with inhalation treatments. Now both my grandchildren have it and both on Albuterol and one added Prednisone (I am floored over the dose of 10mg twice a day on a 4 year old!.) But her persistant bronchospasm has him doing this.

Viral brochitis can wreak havoc on the system. So don't sit back too long without being seen and trying to fix it all yourself. What was viral can turn bacterial if it doesn't clear. The excess mucus in the lung become the breeding ground for trouble. Our stamina is not so great either to take just a robitussin approach now. New meds and new tricks are out there.

Remember to use a humidifier in your room so when you mouth breath during the night you are getting moisture in there. Maybe knock the thermostat down a bit and put on an extra shirt/ sweater so the air is not so dry....cool air is better to breathe. Hydrate with drinking for the fever as well as the atmosphere you are dealing with to thin out mucus in coughing it all up. NO MILK..it thickens mucus (called mucolytic) Use juices and water...power drinks.

OK, I had to share the pneumonia story as I still am taken by it. I was blown away as I had no difficulty breathing or cough. The doc said that and I know pneumonia is in the lowest part of the lung tissue....cough reflex is from upper airway tissue...so wa-la no cough. But I thought breating trouble? Nope.....and why pain from the bacteria??........that may have been the FM talking to me, like an alarm system. O U C H does not cover it.

Thought I had cancer...so deep and unrelenting pain, no meds were covering it......hope you get better soon and please seek help for the symptoms so they don't set you up for something else to happen.

Hugs from here............Nancy B

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
365 of 392 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.