Skip to content
Tuesday *****12/17/2013 *****8 days and counting til Christmas
dollbug posted:
Morning FMily. MiMi in NC where the sun is shining today and there will be warmer weather arriving....can you believe that we are suppose to get some high 60's and low 70's for a few days. OMG....this is not exactly the kind of weather one expects at Christmas. But there is nothing we can do about it so we will take what it is. The first day of winter is right around the corner as well. I had read earlier that NC would NOT be getting a lot of wet weather this winter so perhaps they are right. No snow to speak of. I guess we will soon know. Weird and strange weather though so far.

Here is hoping each of you had a good night's rest and I hope today we all have little to no pain.

Welcome to the new members who have joined our support recently. It seems like the site has been really very slow. I hope this means that people are out and about getting ready for the holiday and are feeling better. Holidays sometimes causes stress which as we all know is not a good thing. We should all remember to pace, pace and pace even more. And if you get it done....that is a good thing and if not....well, Christmas will soon arrive and be over with until next time. This too will be what it is.

Vitamin D is important and for those you have not gotten this checked I do encourage you to speak to your doctor the next time you go about this. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some of us and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Have a good Tuesday.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

rudyandirmouse responded:
Good Tuesday MiMi and to all that follow. I will make this a quick post as I have things to do and errands that must be run today before DH goes in for surgery tomorrow.

It's eye candy nice here today. Warm too. May hit 70 and it will be warm like this for the next few days. The say Sunday rain is coming in and some colder temps too. But hey I'll enjoy it till then and next Monday cold temps don't matter cause I'm gone, outta here, getting Florida sunshine for a few days @ DisneyWorld with DD and family. Then heading to NC to spend a few days with DD and family. They have a really nice, newly built, 3 story home just, wait for it... 3 blocks from the beach! It won't be as warm there as I'd like, but hey I got beach and as long as the sun's shinning and I can hear the surf hitting the shore well " life is good. "

I hope all is going well for each of you. I noticed that MiMi has been dealing with pain. I had so hoped that test meds would help with that.

Cory, sorry to hear about your painful wrists. I was talking to a lady @ the Neurologist's office yesterday who has some kind of pain blocking shots in both writs every 3 - 6 months for wrist pain. Any chance you could get something like that?

I have been sharing this new medical news with family, friends and on fb so will add it here. I have been complaining for months that my feet hurt. It started in June when I went off Gabapentin. I mean all summer, Fall I complained to anyone who'd listen. In August I got a DX of neuropathy . NO one seemed to be overly concerned ( I'm not diabetic ) and I have fibro, well no once cared much about it but me. Went to a foot dr. who blew it off. Back to the PCP who blew it off, again but since the migraines were so bad he referred me onto a neurosurgeon. After tests there I got a referral to the neurologist and dog gone it he didn't seem concerned either. Thought I was just getting fibro symptoms from a flare. I went back to him kinda mad, asked a butt load of questions about PN and only then did I get sent for testing for both SFN and PN.

Well I got the DX back yesterday. Kinda hard to get my head completely around it but, I have ( as all FMer's have ) SFN and PN too. Both in the mild stage. Very manageable at this point because it took decades to develop. No cure, no turnaround on it. The 2 doctors who reviewed my test results believe I got the original starting point for SFN AND PN when I was 16 and in a horrific car accident. Lots of head trauma. I never connected the head trauma from that to the fibro SFN symptoms. But that's where it all came from. So for me, over the years, when doctors said to me " it's all in your head they were not far wrong. "

And BUMB ME the reason I felt the foot pain so bad from June on was I went off the one drug that helps PN: Lyrica / Gabapentin. UGH.

So now it's a whole new routine for me. Up the Gabapentin to 1800 mg a day. Get good supporting shoes, never go bare footed and check my feet a lot more than I do. And since food triggers the feet to feel swollen watch what I eat. Also since the PN is in my gut I need to see my Gastrologist ( check, 30th of Dec. ) update him and to discuss meds to help with the IBS symptoms PN causes.

And I am also going to have to stay in PT for my nec for a bit longer than I had thought. And to add insult to injury yesterday while getting the DX I had to have to blocking shots again. OMG they hurt so bad. Betty Davis was right Old Age Isn't For Sissies. "

Oh geez where had the time gone to. I have to get up and get moving.
I promise the next post will not be all about me.
Well wishes going out to each of you. Have a great day everyone.
Gentle hugs, Linda R

katmandulou responded:
Hi All, is YOUR shopping done?

It started snowing just 1/2 hour ago. We're expecting 6-8" thru this evening in southeastern New England, with it getting heavy during "rush" hour. I've taken the day off for a local Christmas party, and my swap gift is packed and ready! (More on that below.)

I'm enjoying the sight out my office window, the birds at the feeders and cakes. We've had a yellow-shafted flicker for the past few months, and he's been out there with the finches, jays and cardinals. Lots of color on that big bird! Haven't seen hawks lately, but Ive been up early and home late these days.

MY shopping is almost done, I picked up a lot last night. I bought a couple gifts just in case I don't find something I love for a couple of nieces. And I realized I forgot one kid last week when I bought clothes. Wrapping will be quick, thanks to gift bags - what an awesome idea! I have a few cute felt bags I've collected over the years, and i love them.

Now for the swap. The rule is simple: you bring something you've received but NOT used, and the rest of the rules are standard "Yankee Swap" rules. This group has a picture frame/recorder that has been going around for years, one woman has ended up with it three times. I can't wait to see who gets it this year. I have the ten I got last ear: a painted glass candle vase, with tea lights. I put it in a wine bottle gift bag, that'll fool them!

MiMi, I'm not sure what I'd do if it was in the 70s for Christmas. It happened one year before I got married, I remember driving home from my DH's parent's house in dense fog. It wa the year I decided to sew a velvet pantsuit for Christmas. I remember sweating"026

Linda, I'm not sure what SFN is. Do you have plantar fasciitis? I do, and have to do the same things - no slippers or cheap shoes, sneakers all the time to support my feet, and I have prescription orthotics, and they help tremendously.

I with you and all to come the best day YOU can possibly have!
Lou

rudyandirmouse replied to katmandulou's response:
Lou, SFN is small fiber ( nerves ) neurology and PN is peripheral nuerologhy. Lots of cauaes for it. Diabetes is a major one. Tramatic accidents is another. I fall into that category.
They told me the SFN is most often attributed to causing the most common skin burning and painful fibromyalgia skin symptoms. And PN not so much.
And I saw a foot dr and was told it was torn tendons. Wrong and was sent back to my PCP.

bette_kaffitz responded:
Hi, and Merry "8 days to Christmas" to you all.

It is 1:40 p.m. and I just got up. Whatever they gave me in the O.R. yesterday to put me in that twilight state--I want MORE. I feel like I could go back to bed and wake up to MiMi's "7 days to Christmas" post. May just do that.

I was told that I would feel burning, like a sunburn, but it just isn't happening yet. BUT, so far at least, I feel no pain at my waist and hip on the right side. HALELULIA! What a blessing. All I know for sure is that one minute, I was trying to get comfortable lying on my stomach on the O.R. table while the nurse swabbed me with soapy water. The next thing I knew, I was in the recovery room eating graham crackers and drinking orange juice. Boy, if that's twilight sleep, what do they call the stuff that passes for sleep in FM?

For those who don't already know, I had Radio Frequency Ablation done yesterday. The pain nerves in the lumbar region
and at the SI joint were destroyed by radio frequency waves.
They will, eventually grow back. Until then, I can hardly wait for the left side to be done--a few months from now, I hope.

Maybe tomorrow I'll think about Christmas. Today, I'm going back to sleep.

Bette

mnjeepguy responded:
Good afternoon everyone.

I shared the deal about seeing the supervisor at the bar, well, there is more. The managers waited at work until his shift started at 7pm. He smelled of booze and was sent home. He will likely lose his job. Nobody knows the details yet.

On a good note about work. I will get my last raise and become a full millwright (factory mechanic) on January 9th! I am very pleased, as I thought this day would never come. I Left my old job in August of 11 to start my training and 86 books, each with a test. Uggh, I am greatful to move forward and make a better income. I don't know how long I can handle the job but I will do it as long as I can.

Thanks for updating us Linda. Answers to why we hurt are so nice to have.

Lou, good to see your post. The swap thing sounds fun.

Bette, I'm glad your RFA went well and is helping.

I see the doc tomorrow and will let you know what he says. I know many here deal with similar issues. Take care and have a great evening.

Cory

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.