Skip to content
Sunday *****1/5/2014*****
dollbug posted:
Morning FMily. MiMi in NC where it is cold and damp this morning. They say it will be right around freezing for most of the day. I think we are bracing for the *cold weather* headed here. It seems though so far NC has been quite lucky. No snow in my area. I know that there are places though who have more snow than they are use to and cold temps like never before....perhaps longer than normal also.

Here is hoping each of you had a good restful night and I hope today will be a good day for each of us, with little to no pain....and also try to stay safe and warm.

So how is 2014 been for you so far? Cold weather for a lot of us, that's for sure. So much going on around the world.

Not much going on with me. I do feel better as my cold has cleared up. I took an extra C and Zinc and I think this helped plus I took Nyquil at night as well. I hope this is my one and only cold and cough to deal with. I think when we try to address something right off it helps to shorten the stay of some things.

Welcome to the new members who have joined our support group. I am sure that each of you will soon find the *right combination of tools* which will help improve the way you feel. I know that doing your own research and learning what others have found just might make a difference in what you do and how you feel.

Easy and simple things can sometimes make a BIG difference. It does take time though in whatever you choose to try. Drinking lots of water every day, doing gentle exercises and/or stretches...continue to move, maybe very slowly, but do NOT give in to the wrath of the dragon, aka FM. Put on your boxing gloves as Nana B says and battle it out with this ugly and mean illness...Show it who is boss. Getting enough quality sleep is also important. Allow yourself to slow down. Don't push yourself to the limit or cross the line. Learn how to pace, pace and pace even more. Remember this in everything you do. Take short breaks. Perhaps have a timer to use in the beginning to know when you should break and allow yourself to rest. I know just how hard this can be, especially when you are in the middle of trying to clean things.

Do something you enjoy. Read a good book. Listen to some good music. Watch a movie. Enjoy your grandchildren. Take a walk and enjoy the outside. Get some of the natural Vitamin D when you can. Watch your diet and make sure you are getting the vitamins and supplements that you need.

Take a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts which will help your body to relax so that you can sleep better.

These are only just a few things that perhaps might help you cope better. FM is now part of our life, whether we embrace it or not. The more you learn about it the better you will be.

Vitamin D....be sure and speak to your doctor about getting this checked. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

Try to stay focused and positive. This too, can take time and effort. Sometimes it is hard to learn how to *dance with the dragon, instead of draggin the dragon* as Nana B says. Your body will thank you for doing this.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Have a good Sunday and stay warm, if you can.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

booch007 responded:
Good Morning all and a brisk 3* here in lower NY. YIKES...I don't know the wind chill but I will say it is a wee bit below zero out there.....not an animal in sight. No footprints in the snow!!

Well I went out yesterday for the first time. Great day to drive around and see the sun on the snow, so much pristine (as I said no animals about). Looked like on the lakes here that the bubbles from fish had frozen as they surfaced. A sight I have never seen. (Love finding something new). So interesting a look to see the little glass balls on top of the lake (1/2 in and out of the water). I really wasn't sure what I saw at first.

Then to Kohl's and suprised the grandgirls with my coming out from behind a manekin ! Oh they screammed and yelled..Nana...nana...and hugged me. I said " I am so much better and couldn't wait to see you" They held my hands the whole time in the store...... precious.

Then I went and got my nails done (as a Christmas tree was still on a nail I own ( :0 ). When I returned from there to the deli , suprise there were the Grandchildren again...

So we had hot chocolate and laughed and it just made the day special.

Today I am going to see the baby. Emily hasn't really seen me since before Thanksgiving. When she came on Christmas I was starting to get sick so I barely looked at her (as to not share this). So later today I will go hold her and let her hear my voice.

I am so in need of my shots. Each spot is itchy and if touched will change to hurt. DH put the SOMBRA lotion on me last night and it just set off a sense of choas in my body. Unable to relax after. I only slept til 3a.m. and then was up......watched TV in the recliner til 4 and then fell asleep sitting in the recliner. Amazing how not laying on them despite the memory foam mattress still helps to let me sleep. (so sensitive).

Well, today is the last day off and I need to clean up my act. You might think with all this time home I am in great form here, but no...the pack rat in me is still an issue. I am going to make strides this year though. So much to get rid of, so much someone else might use...

OK, hoping for a good day for all of you. Make the best of it. Fight this guy, this dragon of a curse and poke him in the eye..........push him out the door..........jab him in the ribs!... I swear the best thing I found for me when not in a flare is distraction. Getting something else in the forefront of my mind to lower the sense of it all. My meds are important but the music on, the plan of something, the crafting.....the kids, anything that makes the mind busy on a different thing seems to help me.

Good luck for a good / better day....NancyB .

dollbug replied to booch007's response:
Hello Nana B....so good to hear that you were good enough to get out and about....scenery does make a difference, I think, in how we feel, after we have been sick and within the 4 walls of our house. Change is good....sometimes.

I hope your shots will help you this week. I hope you will have a good week, just remember to pace, pace and pace even more. (I say this as I remember how I use to be when I was out and had so much *PILED UP TO DO*....I can not even imagine working today. There are days when I struggle here at home. I guess I will soon be keeping the new GS though parttime when my DIL returns to work. It is a good thing though that my son will be there some days to help me. Firefighters work strange shifts. I still can not keep up with when my DS works or not. Too much for my brain I guess.

It is amazing to me how sometimes I can sleep well in my recliner and then sometimes I don't. I sleep on top of pillows so that I do not touch the sore spots. I now know just how much *stress* can do to me. Sometimes little things make me cave....things that probably should not, could not, would not bother some people. FM is a very strange and weird illness to deal with.

Yesterday I did a few errands and found my GD a couple pair of sweat pants. I had bought her some thermals to wear and I found some on sale. Don't know if she will like them or not, but I am sure they will help to keep her warm.
I know just how comfortable they use to be for me. (I no longer wear them though-I have to have very light clothes, so cuddl duds has been my choice for some time now. They are very light and soft and really comfortable.

OK....I hope you will have a good week. Take care and be safe in the cold weather.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

fibroinsd responded:
Well...here it is Sunday again...time to go get mom and dad..go to breakfast and then church...I could tell Dad wanted to try and change the schedule and go to early church so he could watch the chargers game..but getting him going in the morning isn't an easy process...so I guess we will miss the game..

I know DH will be working at the church..so I am sure he will be taping the game to watch later...don't know how they will play in all this cold weather..

hope you all have a good day.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

mnjeepguy responded:
Good morning all, it is very cold this am. The local weather station said -26, a friends car had -31, my little weather station I have in the yard just blocks form the lake said a low of -18. I am guessing it is off a bit. It is cozy in my little house with few drafts. I find dressing in layers keeps the cold of my skin and some pains at bay. It I go out in regular clothes my joints start to burn right away.

I noticed my dosage change to 300mg 3x a day of Gababpentin has not made me sleepy during the day but has made me a little more lazy, and going to bed earlier. I also slept 10 hrs last night. I very rarely sleep over 7. I hope my body adjusts to it and I get back to a more normal self. I dislike side effects, at least they have been minimal.

My outdoor cat came in the door last night to warm up. I don't want him in all the time but let him in for food and warmth. It seems cruel to let him live outside but he has been out there his whole life. He adjusts as animals do. Once in bed I heard him crying at the door for a bit, then he left to find a place to hide from the cold. I feel bad for him but he will be alright.

I need to work on the bath project today. I was hoping to yesterday but the 2 hours moving snow kind of wrecked me for the day. Last night I was getting stabbing pain in several places. I crossed the line a bit. I am still feeling it this morning but it is a little better, doing ok.

It's good to see you doing better and back here Nancy B, I always enjoy your posts and wisdom. I may have to go for a drive today down my Lake Superior to enjoy the beauty. The sun is bright on this frigid day.

Mimi, I am glad your cold is gone. Thanks for keeping the tips going, good reminders for us all.

I hope you all have a great day.

Cory

rudyandirmouse responded:
Good Sunday one and all. I hope my post finds everyone fibro issues and pain free. Sounds silly to wish it but I really do.

As with everyone in the cold front path we are bracing for the coldest next two days in over 50 years. OUCH. It's nice here now. No rain or snow, yet. We won't even get a dusting but the roads will be slick in the morning for DR'S drive to work. It could have been worse.
Here's wishing all of you in the path of the snow and cold temps a safe next few days.

I've been MIA due to many things going horribly wrong around here. DR'S surgery and septicemia from something used to close him or the bandages. Then a car wreck where I was at fault and my DSIL was hurt and the fro t end of my car wiped out. This in ST so I have to go back and get it.

Miami hope you feel better from your cold soon.

Nancy..hope you get your shot soon. Also hope the snow and cold is not as bad as predicted.

Cory, I think of you when I see the snow and cold up north of here. Stay warm and safe.

Will post tomorrow. Sending my best to everyone.
Gentle hugs, Linda R

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.