Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dr.P (and anyone else) Advice ..?
kittymommy posted:
For a long time I have suspected a link between FM and the thyroid. I asked my Primary Physician to prescribe for hypothyroid, to try and see if it would help my symptoms, in an effort to get off the many powerful medications I am on. He has refused to prescribe off label.

Now there is the study (Mayo Clinic?) showing that the hypothalamus is believed to be the cause or responsible for the cause(s) of FM.

Although I have tested within the "normal" range, I am on the low end, and I have read comments from others that state there are better tests to be done than the typical (T4?) one, which does not always identify thyroid problems.

I don't have specific articles or information in that regard, only vague references to others "having done research", etc.

Is it unreasonable of me to ask my doctor again to try thyroid low dose pills? How about other tests that could show something the typical test does not?

It is frustrating to feel that researchers are getting very close but still don't have specific answers for a "cure." I have had this terrible condition (FM) for at least 17 years (or all my life???)

dollbug responded:
Hello kittymommy....MiMi in NC. Dr. P is no longer a part of our support group. WebMD decided to let go of most of the medical advisors who were here. This happened actually some time back. You can find his *discussions* though and read some of the good info that he provided to us while he was on board. Check under *resources*.

I do want to comment about your subject though. It seems like most people have a hard time trying to find out whether or not they do have thyroid issues. I know that when I got sick I knew something else was going on with me. It ended up being my *parathyroid*. I brought this up to my doctor who disagreed me on this. Eventually though I ended up and demanded that the scan be done to find out for sure if indeed I have parathyroid problems. I had to have surgery. My blood calcium was 88 on the day I had my surgery. (the surgeon had to test this right before surgery and then right after surgery) 88 was almost 10 times was it should be. 9.2 is about average for me. It took several weeks before my blood calcium got back to *normal*....after my surgery.

If your doctor refuses to do more tests on you perhaps you should try to get a second opinion. If I were you I would ask the doctor if there are more specific thyroid tests which might reveal something about your thyroid.

It is sad when people can NOT get tests run on things that they feel might be causing us to be ill.

I would also like to encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level as well. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some of us and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
456 of 531 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.