Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
medications for treatment of fibromyalgia
An_255088 posted:
has anyone ever taken cyclobenazprine and tramadol for the treatment of fibromyalgia, I wanted to go on Lyrica like my doctor suggested but my insurance company doesn't want to pay for it, can anyone reccomend more drugs to try to help with the muscle spasms, the pain and nerve pain

Take the Poll

Is anyone taking tramadol and cyclobenzaprine for the treatment of there fibromyalgia
  • I'm just looking for more drug treatment options for fibromyalgia
  • I just need some help i'm new to this
vote
View Poll Results

missist responded:
Hi there, I have not tried the drugs you mention but I'm sure some others have. I use gabapentin--which is older than lyrica and from what people have told me less side effects. its generic and very cheap.

Hope that is useful.
Mary

ajnsmom responded:
Hi, Tramadol didn't do anything for me, but Cyclobenzaprine (generic form of Flexeril) helps me a lot. I also take Gabapentin for pain and Amitryptylin (sp) to help me sleep. Hope this helps,

Linda S. (Jax, FL)

rosielou responded:
Hi,

I take them almost every day, they're my primary meds. The Tramadol has a bit of a serotonin effect that can also be helpful. I like them and would definitely recommend that you give them a try. Plus they're oldies and pretty cheap.

Rose

dpmora responded:
I am taking Tramadol and it works pretty good. I have to take it at night with 5htp and Melatonin 3 mg. Helps me sleep however it makes me itch. No rash but I do itch a little. I have to also make sure I take it early because I feel drowsy.

bette_kaffitz responded:
An,

We take what our doctors suggest. This is especially true at first. As time goes on, we find there are types of medications that we (for whatever reason) cannot take. We learn what did and did not work. Hopefully, we keep track of them over the weeks, months, and years. It is very easy to forget.

As to what the doctor decides to prescribe, that is often a matter of what has worked for her patients in the past. Sometimes it is whatever the drug reps have dropped off for you to get a free trial. Sometimes it is actually what the doctor read about in a medical journal or heard about at a conference. But your doctor is learning, too. We are all different. We all tolerate drugs differently. Our symptoms vary, not only from patient to patient, but also from week to week.

Both of the drugs you mentioned are often prescribed for fibro. Sometimes they are prescribed alone, sometimes they are prescribed together, and sometimes they are prescribed with other medications.

Try these meds. If they help, hooray! If they don't, your doctor will reach into her bag of tricks and try something else. Be as patient as someone in a lot of pain can be. Your doctor is doing her best, using her best judgement and experience to help you.

This is a process. Fibromyalgia is a chronic illness. Unfortunately, there will be lots of time for you to adjust your medications. Be as gentle to yourself as possible in the meantime. You are not Superman or Wonderwoman. You are a fragile human being who is adjusting to living with a chronic illness.

Towards better days,

Bette

booch007 responded:
Good morning ,

I take Soma (Carisoprolol) as my muscle relaxant and Tramadol as Ultracet. I use 1 to 2 tablets 3 times a day.

Motrin is still my breakthough med above what the tramadol helps. I will say that I worked through alot of heavy days where it wasn't med that helped me but the distraction of the activity around me added to that.

I don't think anything is perfect, it just lowers it to be able to push it to the side a bit and get on with life.

Good luck, this is the second hardest part of the disease. First being the right doctor....and getting diagnosed.

Nancy B

fibroinsd responded:
cyclobenazaprine has been helpful to me in the past...mostly at bedtime..but the last time I tried it I wasn't feeling like it was helping enough. I have been taking two advil and two 3mg melatonin at night now...and that is helpful to sleep..but doesn't help my muscles relax...my neck is still a mess...

There is a list of meds used somewhere here on webmd..I think it is in the member toolbox post..under the tips and resources section...I think Amy put it together..but the post was started by Nancy B...so look for that..

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

booch007 replied to fibroinsd's response:
There is a MEDICATION post by Web MD that rated the meds used by patients. Found to the right. Yes there are two postings in resources of the toolbox, but I don't think that Amy used mine in her post. My toolbox is included under Caprice our past moderator as a link so we could always get to it.

It has grown to many pages now and was a gift from the whole board to a newbie looking for what might help their suffering.

Good luck, Nancy B

petal2010 responded:
I take Tramadol and deal with the side affects because my doctor told me there was no other pain med that wasn't a narcotic. I took Methadone for years but my husband said it caused me to not be able to think or do the check book so I tapered off. I also have a lot of tooth decay problems from dry mouth. I take both Lyrica and Cymbal but it is so expensive. I have no choice. It would be good to try Cymbalta if your ins would agree. There is a replacement drug for Lyrica which is not expensive. It might help you, Pregabalin is not expensive and it would be worth a try
Hope this is helpful. If you do go on Pregabalin please let me know how
petal2010
John 3:16

katmandulou responded:
I take Tramadol for intense pain. My daily med is Elavil, and my does has increased from 25mg to 45mg in the past 9 years.

missist replied to katmandulou's response:
Petal... Just fyi--there is a mouth wash for dry mouth. I have it too for years-- due to various meds. Its supposed to moisten your mouth. I know I saw it at CVS pharmacy-- probably they all have it--dunno what it was called--but ask your pharmacist!
Also I think pregablin is lyrical isn't it? not sure--maybe you meant gabapentin. a lot of us use it, me too--it can make you drowsy like so many things--but not too bad. It does take a layer off pain.
Mary

undefined replied to missist's response:
I take both of those medications. Tramadol no longer works for me although it did for the first couple of weeks. Now, 4 months later, not so much. Flexoril (or cyclobenzaprine) helps with muscle spasms and sometimes relaxes me enough to help me get to sleep. I have not yet been diagnosed with Fibro although I have all the symptoms. I'm being treated for chronic pain which leaves out a whole lot of other symptoms such as chronic fatigue, migraine headaches and a host of other symptoms that I deal with every day. I currently take 5 different medications and nothing seems to work for long.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
456 of 531 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.