Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sunday ****1/19/2014 ****
dollbug posted:
Morning FMily. MiMi in NC. The sun is shining but it is COLD. They are now saying though that Monday will bring high 50*s....and then another COLD front headed for the rest of the week....highs only in 30's and 40's. (teens at night) Again I am so ready for SPRING. I just wait knowing though that as each day, each week passes, spring time is closer than it was.

My GS's 7th Birthday is at the end of the month. I normally get the BD cake. So I asked him what he wanted. He was not sure. Yesterday though he told his mom that he wanted either Garfield or Mario. (what a choice) I have no idea why Garfield. Children sometimes think about strange things, no doubt.

My DH still has a really bad cough. He was getting better until Friday when another person called in sick and he ended up working all day and then all night. He had been fighting cold and congestion all week and was finally feeling better. They work in a very small cramped building. No room for hardly anything. So they tend to pass germs around. Not exactly a good condition to work under especially if you are coughing and having other issues.

Here is hoping each of you had a good night's rest and I hope today will be a good day for us all with little to no pain. I do hope everyone will stay safe and warm as well.

Welcome to the new members who have joined our support group recently. I am sure that each of you will soon find something that will make a difference in how you feel. Tis does take a process of trial and error....so hang in there and learn all you can about what others have found that has helped them. As we all know though we are all different and what helps one may or may not help you. Only you will know when and if you find the right combination of tools which make a difference for you. We, FMers, must keep on keeping on until we get there.

As for me, vitamins and supplements do the trick. This was only after I tried different medicines which did NOT work for me. So I finally did my own research and figured out what to try. Eventually I found what works for me. I take Magnesium Malate and Fibro Response. (I only take one of these daily). I also take a multi vitamin and Vitamin D, along with Vitamin B 12 and P5P. These are the ones which help me to control my FM pain. I do take some others though since I have other health issues as well. I have 2 bad knees and I take joint supplements for them, along with my hips.

A while back I had major knee issues in my right injured knee. I ended up going for a MRI and then the doctor....waited on the doctor to schedule my injections. He did NOT and my knee got better. Don't know how or what helped it. I am assuming it repaired itself. Quite interesting issue. Sometimes I guess eventually things just might get better on its own. I know that my knee did.

I also use heating pad almost daily. Some people can use ice packs....I use heat. Ice packs do nothing for me.

Drinking a lot of water each day and watching what I eat. Stopain Spray as needed. Taking a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts which help to relax my body so that I can sleep better.

These are a few things that I have found that has helped me.

Vitamin D.....again I urge each of you to speak to your doctor about getting your Vitamin D level checked, if you have not already done so. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some of us and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Remember to pace, pace and pace some more. Your body will thank you.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

crazytaurenswife responded:
Good morning

I've made it downstairs and I'm loosening up with my electric blanket. Heat is the one non-drug thing I can do to relieve my FMonster pain (someone from a FB group I'm in used this term and it's now my favorite lol). As with anything else, it doesn't relieve all my pain and sometimes it doesn't do anything but make me less cold.

My temp is (finally) coming down. I am hoping this means I'll be able to go to work on Monday. I'm already missing 3 days this month and one next month.

I don't remember if I told you all last week, but I may have to change my program. It will take another year...possibly two...to get the minimum library courses required (some are only offered once a year) and I'm missing 3 or 4 non-library courses. I was told yesterday my department head is writing a letter to reply for my request for accommodations. I should know in the next week or two if I will be able to stay in the program. I really hate knowing when I joined the program it would have been no trouble to complete it....and two years later I know there is no way I am physically capable of it as two of the main courses are designed. If they won't be able to accommodate me, I'll set up a meeting with an academic adviser to see what program I would (...currently, anyway) be able to do.

MiMi - I hope your DH can get a break so he can start feeling better again. Is it bad enough he should be seen by a doctor? DS16 had a bad cough and felt horrible a while back. I ended up taking him to the ER (after a drop-in clinic had said it was most likely just a virus and the doctor wouldn't do a chest x-ray to confirm). He had pneumonia! This is the kid who is *never* sick. I'm still not quite sure how my super-healthy kid ended up with pneumonia, while my kid with asthma who (up until last summer) spent most of the past 4 years sick with one respiratory illness after another never developed it.

I believe I am now sufficiently thawed to find something for breakfast. And make tea, which is more important than breakfast.

~air hugs~
Jessi

bette_kaffitz responded:
MiMi,

I'm with you. Spring can't come soon enough. I hope your DH is able to shake off that horrible cough. Winter is bad enough without having to deal with illness.

Jessi,

How did you ever manage to find a portable electric blanket? Or do you just unplug it and then replug?

My aunt and uncle had two boys and a girl. The boys went through life bruising, cutting, and breaking various parts of their bodies. (The older son ,jumped off the front porch, bruised his arm, got gangrene, and wound up--as the doctors chopped higher and higher with a stub for a right arm. The younger son was in a cast at the time with a broken leg from baseball practice.) Their daughter never got into those scrapes (spending her time with baby dolls, diapers, and carriages instead of trees, balls, bats, and fishing poles). Then came their 20's. The boys settled in a little less adventurously, the family got a Siamese cat, and the daughter of the family developed severe asthma. You never know.

DH went to the fire last night about 6 and then planned to sleep in this morning. It was 58 in the house at 6 a.m. I got him up and out to the fire. It's almost bearable now. DH even brushed the snow off our HughesNet satelite dish. It is a nice thing for him to have thought to do--especially after I roused him out so rudely this morning. The everyday kindness of the man you love. It gets me every time!

Think on everyday kindnesses.

Bette

debrabrooks1960 responded:
Happy Sunday to all,
I hope everyone is doing well. I have had a good weekend. Beautiful weather here in north Florida. Yesteday it got up to about 60 degrees. Today was 70 degrees. I grilled porkchops on the gill. It was so pretty outside. I just stood there at the grill letting the sun shine on my face. It felt so good. I dread going to work tomorrow. It will be a skeleton crew since it is a holiday for everyone at the prison execept for medical. But we are having a pitch in lunch for everyone that is working. I am bringing chicken salad. It should at least be a fun lunch.
Have a good holiday Monday and a good week everyone.
Soft hugs,
Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

mnjeepguy responded:
Good evening everyone. I can't wait for spring either. We had a warmer day at 32 degrees, not bad at all. Highs after today however are all in the single digits for the foreseeable future.

I worked on the bath project and stared at it scratching my head for a long while. I have a better plan of attack in mind now. I will probably rip the shower out this coming weekend. Then I have to work quickly to get the other one operational. We can shower at relatives houses but that is a pretty big inconvenience for us and them. I will keep it minimal.

My pain levels are down a bit. I am trying not to get to excited about it, but I like how it's going. I noticed my left shoulder is slightly better in addition to my wrist and one bum knuckle on my right hand. That's three good things so far and no side effects yet. with less pain my mood is up too. I will keep you posted of course.

I went to see my frail mother today. I thought we were going to lose her just a week ago. She is still smoking but much less. She is the poster child for stubbornness. I told her I am not going to tell her how to live, I am just here to help. I reminded her the smoking is the root of all that ails her, she is very smart and knows, but does not openly admit this. When I was there she was up and about, made her own food, and chatty. All good signs. Her husband went back to work today and works at the mill I do, 12hr shifts. I will be checking on her regularly when he works. Unless big changes happen soon I am guessing it's only a matter of time.

I hope those fighting viruses can shake them quickly. Jessie, I hope you get your answer to your accommodations soon. Debbie, 70 and grilling? Sounds like perfection to me. Bette, you never know is right. I jokingly call my twin my stunt double. He broke bones and was always getting stitches. I was the opposite, partaking in the same activities.

Have a good night everyone and take care.

Cory

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
360 of 387 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.