Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
how stiff do you get and how often?
missist posted:
When I wake up these days I need to use a cane to move around so I dn't fall-- just cuz I'm so stiff. The more I move around the easier it gets so I don't generally need it after moving around maybe 20 min.

Every time I sit down-- I find I'm stiffened up again when I try to rise. often enough to keep that cane nearby.

The last thing is toward the end of the day I get so stiff If I get up and move around I feel as if I am' just made of hardened jell.

This is how it has been for many many years--except the cane part.
That's just recent--but my feet are my latest flare area too--so that makes it worse. Got new shoes and it didn't help nor are any of the constant stretching exercises I've done. Or arch exercise, leg ex. etc.. It just is that way.

Anyhow I guess I wonder --and forgive me if I already asked this--I have a habit I think of asking the same questions--but I forget--I will write this down.

How stiff do you get? And how often in the day? have tried explaining this to drs but I just got tired of it as they don't seem to think it is much of a deal or worth even remarking on much less trying to treat.

Thanks,
Mary

dollbug responded:
Hello Mary. Have you tried to sit on a cushion or a pillow. Perhaps it is your spine which is causing you to be stiff. I know that I use pillows in my recliner and I also have a cushion (with gel) on my computer chair.

When we go out to eat I have to sit in a booth....so I do not lean on the back of a chair. I can NOT sit in any hard chairs or on a hard bench either or I tend to also get very stiff. After sitting for a while though it does take me time to go from sitting to standing.....it is almost like I am *stuck* in the position that I have been in for a while.

I have major pain when I try to lie down on the bed....this is why I no longer sleep in one. I also have the foam mattress toppers as well but it does not help me.

I also have bad knees so the recliner helps me to position them under pillows so my legs do not get stiff either.

I know that when I sometimes try to get up I feel like I am 100 years old. But I do not have this problem at home when I sit on the pillows or cushion.

Take care.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

missist replied to dollbug's response:
Hi Mimi,
i did try a foam filled chair cusion and a gel one. Didn't make a difference. I feel like it is being immobile that is making me stiff so much. I used to think when I was young-- it felt as if my blood had literally turned to gel rather than liquid.

I guess I don't know--spine ? maybe. but its everything--fingers, hands, arms, back, legs hips, feet.. So fibromyalgia is the dx but I keep wondering if other people are 'this' stiff too with fibro.

Or if there is something else that it could be. Which is what my reason for asking is--and something tells me I already did ask.. but I'm not sure.

Mary

debrabrooks1960 responded:
Dear Mary,

I too am stiff most all the time. I have to be careful getting up in fear that I am so stiff that I will fall. I even keep a walker next to my bed so I can use it to steady myself when I get out of bed. My fingers, wrist, elbows, shoulders and every other joint hurt or are stiff. I make sure I walk everyday. There are some days I would love to stay in bed all day, but I do not allow myself to do that. I have a full time job, so I have to keep moving. I am also diabetic and suffer from neuropathy. My feet and hands stay numb a lot. So I truely understand what you are going through. Hot showers and heating pads are my best friends. Night time is the worst time for me to get stiff. But some days, I will get stiff just by being to still for a few minutes or longer.

I have found that Croc shoes are the best for me. I buy the diabetic Crocs since they have much better support for my arches. They form to my feet and are very comfortable to walk in. I have a hard time walking in any other kind of shoes.

Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

booch007 responded:
Mary,
I will share my path that I took when i was just like this. I saw a physiatrist who cost $$$$. What I got from him..PRICELESS!

He put me on a green diet of anything green (lots of antioxidants in it) and water only...and plenty of it. I had to drink this stuff called Green Vibrance (In health stores)...and I was desperate to get out of where I was, I listened to every word.

I found that I had crystals in my feet from dehydration and byproducts of metabolism......I had a few deep foot massages to help break them up. When I woke in the morning my stiffness was like a car with no motor oil...and the feet were like walking on GLASS, OUCH just doesn't cover it.

It takes 60 days to get the body to be in a better state and I did get there.....first was that I suddenly in the blankets before rising (when the muscles are warm)...as I stretched they released. OMG...They had never done that before and then with the 2nd and 3rd massage for the feet fewer crystals were there. I had hydrated them into the system fror removal I guess....

All those antioxidants were good for me.....and I made the effort to do anything to be better. I was in really bad shape in this window of time. I have also spoken about changing shoes to a different pair everyday, it uses different muscles to pitch you as you walk and it (for me) helps the leg muscles. I think of it as tricking the dang things....(everybody has to move down there...no hibernating ones...)

I then added the Mg that I take at 250mg twice a day. Following Dr Oz, and asking Dr Pelligrino here about the usage of Mg.

As the sum of the total helped me so much, I think the hydration was big..but eating well and green was a good thing too.

I hope you pass through this time soon. I can remember it pretty well and crawling to the shower for the heat in the morning to move the body. Taking my muscle relaxant in 10min of awakening....tough time. My hope for you is you find an answer for you.

I am thinking of the foot crystals because the new shoes didn't help. Can you have a DH or friend masssage your feet? It is a crackle feeling in there (can't miss them you can feel them between your thumb and hand as you massage) My DH had them too and I worked on his as well......my sis says people get these at times from poor hydration and metabolism as well as circulation at the end of the system before it returns upward to the heart.

Good luck, I wish oyu all the best. Nancy B

Anon_57995 replied to booch007's response:
What are these crystals made of?

Where, exactly, are they on the feet?

What kind of damage can they cause?

Thanks.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.