Skip to content
Hump Day ****1/22/2014 ****BITTER COLD and DAMP****
dollbug posted:
Morning FMily. MiMi in NC where it is bitter cold in the teens...with wind chill factors as well. We did get snow yesterday mixed with rain and now what a mess we have. It seems like a lot of places are delayed this morning. Who wants to get out in this anyway?

DH went to doctor yesterday and he has a good case of bronchitis. So he got 2 prescriptions for this. An inhaler being one. OMG...I sure hope it helps. This is now the 3rd week for him being sick. He sounds horrible coughing. So he is out of work for a couple of days so that his body can rest.

Here is hoping each of you had a good night's rest and I hope today will be a good day for us all, with little to no pain. I also hope that the weather improves soon. I am so ready for spring. I guess I hope IF I say it long enough perhaps it will magically appear. (well, I can always hope, I guess)

I dread getting out today....as I am now on Grand baby duty. I love spending time with my new GS. He is such a little joy to be around. We are getting use to our time together. So far it has been good.

Welcome to the new members who have joined our support group recently. I am sure that each of you will soon find something that will help you cope better. Be sure and check out all of the info here under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and read the *member toolbox* as well.

Vitamin D....speak to your doctor about getting this checked. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well. The best thing is that this is a cheap and easy fix as long as you remember to take it.

Have a good day....remember to pace, pace and pace even more. Stay safe and warm.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

booch007 responded:
Mimi,

Good morning. Listen can you get your husband to do something after his inhaler treatment. I want him to take in as dep a breath as possible and then BLOW OUT with his lips pursed like blowing through a straw......

This action increases the pressure in the small air sacs deep in the lungs and will prevent pneumonia. He should do a couple of breaths as often as he thinks during the day. It will make a change for him.

Also after the inhaler he should rinse his mouth as the med can irritate the tongue. "just saying" I can't help but go into ICU mode here.

You cupping your hands and tapping on his back (called cupping and clapping) will create vibration in the chest to help him bring up mucus. We have them sitting up....laying on one side and then the other and then it is (postural drainage).

I don't know if you can do that I have a tough time now with the FM/CMP so it is just a suggestion for helping him.

Hope he is better soon. It is always something.

We saw about 5" of snow, on top of the 6 I had.. now that light is outside and I can see. Dusty dry snow so the movement of it is not HEARTATTACK type.....good for all. COLD though.....Brrrr.

Wish all well for today, sorry i wrote on Tuesday, I was up so early and hit the board with my cup of coffee and meds.

Best to your hub, Nancy B

crazytaurenswife responded:
Good morning

I'm on for a bit before I head to the kitchen to make something (or a couple of somethings) I can use for quick breakfasts. I'm thinking lemon-cranberry scones and some kind of oatmeal breakfast 'cookie.' I took my lower dose tramadol early yesterday morning and again before work - I made it all the way through my day, including several trips up and down stairs, and even cooked dinner! It was a very easy dinner to make, but it's still a heck of a lot more than I'm usually able to do. So one breakfast recipe will be my goal for today and I'll make a second if I'm feeling up to it.

When I take the low dose tramadol twice a day, my pain levels are so much lower and I can accomplish so much more. Unfortunately, neither tramadol prescriptions I use (one low dose, one time-release) are covered. It was $200 to get them filled last month and I'm almost out of the low dose version. *Someday* I'm going to have a job with additional medical/prescription coverage so it will all be covered. You know...now that I think about it...that's really my main employment goal. It's probably a good thing I didn't put that in the assignment I turned in last week. It was an introduction/what year & program are you in/employment goals assignment. Hhmm. I wonder what the instructor's reaction would have been lol

MiMi - I am so glad your husband was able to get in to see a doctor. I hope the meds work quickly and he takes it easy this week.

Nancy B. - I'm glad you made it home safely yesterday and you don't have to get out in the cold today. Hopefully, you'll get in for injections soon.

Time to get moving or I'll end up on here all morning I managed to finish everything for one course yesterday and I'm starting the more time-consuming coursework today.

~air hugs~
Jessi

katmandulou responded:
Hi ALl - it finally stopped snowing!

We got almost a foot of snow where I live, light and fluffy, not good for snowmen. It made DHs chore of shoveling easier. LOL It's bitterly cold, 10? and feels like -8?, and even the elderly dog liked being out in it. I'm going to look for a sweater in a minute.

While out with the dog, the back door got stuck shut. Pull as I might, it was stuck at the top, and I just couldn't do it. We waited about 20 minutes outside in the storm waiting for DH to get home. One mighty tug and we were in.

Work has kept me away from my FMily, and tho' I miss you all I'm glad for the income. My cold seems to be over, but I ate something with cheese over the weekend (probably the croutons on a salad), and I've been coughing up a storm. Does anyone else have food allergies? It's amazing what has mold in it (my allergy). I also have break outs, so I'm coughing and itching.

Nothing else new here, so I'll head off for lunch. Wishing you the best day you can possibly have,
Lou

meg_k replied to katmandulou's response:
Well, FMily.

it's officially 1 degree above zero her in MN where I live -- may be colder where Cory is -- I don't know. However, the windchill is already -22 heading to -35 or -40 tonight. Was going to take the kids to downhill ski lessons tonight but I think we will pass since exposed skin can freeze in 5-10 seconds with this weather. Definitely one of those times I feel like "why do I live here?" It's worse with FM of course bc of increased pain with cold weather and the possibility of slipping on ice. Plus its hard to be active when the weather puts you into hibernation mode. Yawn!

Back to work,
Meg

fibroinsd responded:
oh...I hope it warms up there for you all soon...

I won't tell you the weather here..but it is nice..

I stayed home from work yesterday and went to the doctor. So so glad we were able to start health insurance on Jan. 1st thanks to covered California...(and the affordable health care act). I don't know how it will all work out..but I needed to go..I have had a bad stomach for a couple of weeks and can't get it straight...I hope my doc can get it figured out..

hope you had a great time with the GC mimi....and that all of you in the snow and cold stay warm and safe..

Oh yea..got back to find my hours at work have been cut back..not sure what I will do now. This wasn't unexpected, but not good for me.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

crazytaurenswife responded:
Hello again

Just on for a minute. I had an appointment with my doctor's intern today. She changed my low dose pain med to an extended release version without tylenol and is referring me to a pain clinic. She's also checking in to see how they do the testing for sleep apnea here, so I'll be referred for that once she knows. I'm getting another test run, too.

It will probably take a long time before I'm seen for sleep apnea and at the pain clinic, but who knows...maybe the doctors will change something and I'll start feeling better?

~air hugs~
Jessi

bette_kaffitz responded:
MiMi,

Sorry about your DH's lingering cough. At least, he should be able to turn the corner with his new treatments. Leave it to Nancy B. to have a practical way to make the treatment work even better.

Jessi,

It's great that you have found a way to get a bit of relief. As most of us here know, any help at all is a very big deal. Being able to prepare meals--even simple ones--is a major gain. Now you have to find a way to afford your medication. Try writing to the manufacturer and seeing if you can get some help there. I'm not up on how long Tramadol has been around. Is it going off patent soon so you can get a generic?

I just HATE that so many of us are unable to afford proper care for their fibro. Whether you're working, going to school, a stay at home mother, or a disabled-then-retired former worker like me, we all deserve to have whatever help can make our lives a little less painful, fatigued, and (therefore) hope-deprived.

Meg & Lou,

It's cold in WNY too. We've had our snow in drips and drabs with just enough so our son (a groundskeeper at SUNY) has had to go in on his day off to plow and shovel. Great for the OT, but bad for recuperating from a full work week of nothing but plowing and shoveling. They're talking about Friday night/Saturday bringing the triple whammy of snow, temps below 0, and high winds (gusts up to 55 mph). I think he'll be called in this weekend, too.

Cece,

Three cheers for the healthcare! We are supposed to be this big, rich nation. And we can't afford healthcare? As Sherman Potter on MASH used to say, "Horse pucky!"

I hope you find that you now have access to the right mix to make your life a lot less painful, fatigued, and stressful. (They go together, don't they?)

And let's all pray that Cory is able to ride out this particular "gift" from old man winter. His job is inherently physical, and, being a man, he has a lot of pressure to support his family and tough it out (what I call the John Wayne complex).

Bette

debrabrooks1960 responded:
Hello everyone,
Bad day for me today. My health insurance that I get from my employer changed the first of the year. We have to pay everything out of pocket till we reach our $2000.00 deductable. I called in to the pharmacy my insulin prescription. They sent me a text telling me that my share for one month of the Humalog will be over a $1000.00. I was devasted. I do not have that much money just laying around for an one month prescription.I am lost at what to do. I have to take insulin. I am going to call my doctor to see if I can change to a cheaper insulin. I am also going to check out Humalog online to see if they may have a program that may help pay for some of the cost. I just do not understand how anyone can expect the normal person to pay that much money for one prescription.

We got to 24 degrees last night here in north Florida. I felt like I was back in Indiana! Luckily I still have all my winter gear so I was bundled up. We are having a weather breaking season this year. We will not warm up till next week. At least we are not snowed in. I feel so bad for everyone north of here. I hope springs gets here fast. I do dread the summer months. It does get so hot here.

Mimi I hope your DH gets well fast. Did you have a good time with your grandson? I sure hope so. I wish we had a small baby in our family. The youngest we have is 7 years old now. They grow up so fast.

Nancy, that was so nice of you to give so many good suggestions for Mimi's DH. You sure do seem like a caring person. I really appreciate your kindness. I will try to remember your suggestions when I get sick again.

I hope everyone has a good tomorrow and a good weekend. Stay warm my friends.

Soft hugs,
Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

mnjeepguy responded:
Yup, it's cold here again. Who would have thought? The wind is gusting to 25mph right now at -8. It will be another bitter morning trip to work. My little old house is showing it's drafty spots tonight. Usually they are pretty hard to find, but this evening the N. side of the house is quite cold. In my chair with my feet off of the floor it's cozy though.

I had a rough afternoon today. My pain shot way up in a short period of time. I am not sure what set it off, but I am guessing the time I was out this afternoon and evening. I had to run to drop off a bill, stop and check on my mom, get gas, and get groceries. All in this lovely weather. Now it is quiet and I can relax, hopefully sleeping well soon.

It's good to see all the replies here today. I wish I had the time to reply to all. Here is to a good night's rest and a better day tomorrow. Take care everyone.

Cory

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.