Skip to content
newly diagnosed
mealey79 posted:
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia recently, I wasn't given much information. My family doctor referred me to a Rheumatologist and put on Lyrica. I feel like my body is going crazy, the pain i feel in different areas of my body, the exhaustion, horrible headaches, potty issues, weakness, and nausea.. I also have PTSD, anxiety, panic attacks, and depression. I think everyone thinks I have become lazy and its all in my head. As far as my doctors I don't feel like i'm able to properly explain symptoms to my doctors or that i'm being repetitive with symptoms. I don't know what to say anymore. I feel very lost.

dollbug responded:
Hello mealey and welcome....MiMi in NC. I can assure you that you are neither crazy OR lazy....and it is NOT all in your head. (as we have pain all over our body) Your pain is indeed real. I think we all can vouch for this. Dealing with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM, takes a trial and error process which does take time and effort to find just what might work for you. We are all different and what works for one may or MAY NOT help you. I can assure you though that there is something or a combination of tools which will make a difference for you.

I would encourage you to be sure and read the info here under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and read the *member toolbox* as well. You will find some good *tools* that perhaps you have not thought of trying.

We have a good group of FMers here who have been here for some time. We have come together over the years and have learned how to deal with this illness from each other. You will learn a lot right here on WebMD and also understand that we know exactly how you feel and what you are dealing with.

Vitamin D. Has the doctor checked yours yet? If not, then I would suggest that next time you visit your family doctor to be sure and ask the doctor to do this. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well. This is just a simple blood test.....BUT you must ASK the doctor to check it.

If your doctor treats FM he should know how to help you. There are a lot of doctors who have no clue what to do for us FMers. There is no one *magic pill* though for us. So you must keep on keeping on until you find a good *fix* that will make a difference for you.

Learning how to pace, pace and pace even more is really important for me. Drinking plenty of water each day is a plus as well. (this is actually all I drink except a cup of hot dark chocolate in the morning) Water and lots of it.

Getting enough sleep is also important to us. If you are having problems with this it is important to find something that will help you sleep better. Perhaps taking a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts might help. This helps to relax the body so that you can sleep better. Some people get a mattress foam topper that helps. Using a heating pad is a good thing for a lot of us. (this is my best friend these days) You might also try using some *stopain spray* which you can get at walmart for under $10.

I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to *control my FM pain* by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well. I take the following: Fibro Response and Magnesium Malate (I take source naturals brand which I get at the vitamin store) I also take over the counter Vitamin D supplement and a multi vitamin too. These are the ones which help my FM pain. Last year I began to have lower back pain and I now take P5P which has almost allowed me to have very little lower back pain. (P5P is a processed form of Vitamin B 6 and is found at a vitamin store as well)

Eating right and doing some gentle stretches or exercising can also benefit you as well. *gentle being the key word here*. It is important on days that I do not feel like moving to keep moving anyway. The longer you stay in bed or laying around the stiffer your muscles will get.

I hope this is a good start for you. Learn all you can about FM and what others have found that has made a difference for them. You should allow at least 6-8 weeks of whatever you decide to try before making a decision as to whether or not it is working. (unless, of course, it is making you sicker than you were).

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

fibroinsd responded:
Just wanted to say welcome...come here and you will learn a lot..and get the support you need.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

missist replied to fibroinsd's response:
Hi Mealey 79, Welcome! Don't be discourged too easily-- it is a confusing illness and will take you a while to figure things out.

Mary

bette_kaffitz responded:
Mealey,

This is a life-changing condition. And you're right, it is confusing. You talked about "potty" issues, so you probably have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. IBS can give you diarrhea, constipation, or both (sometimes in the same bowel movement)! You live your life having to know where the nearest toilet is all the time. And you have accidents.

At the same time, you are being plagued by mysterious aches that could stay in one area or travel anywhere in the body. You spend a lot of time in bed, but you are always tired. You feel like someone should be getting the plate number from that Mack truck that just ran you over.

Explaining this to someone else, whether your doctor or your loved ones, is very difficult. Try explaining what it does to some small segment of your day. While I was still working, I once told my nurse practicioner how I had to get out and stretch my spine (foot on the back bumper, lean forward and stretch the whole spine) twice during my commute both morning and evening. Several visits later, she told me how the picture in her mind of me parked on the side of the road, doing my stretches gave her some idea of how this illness impacted my life. From that day forward (20 years) she has been solidly in my corner.

One thing you can do to zero in on what is happening is to keep a fibro journal. Keep track of your meals and your digestive upsets, your pain levels at different times of day, if you did something that seemed to help or hurt you, how you are sleeping, and anything else that you think may help.

missist replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
hi again.. I would keep a journal too-- if I could remember it anymore. LOL. but--- just fyi-- not a great idea to bring that whole journal to the dr. They get overwhelmed with this too.

You would hope they could help you with every thing all at once--but best to just take this in parts.

Get yourself sleeping well--that will help a lot. You'll probably need an RX to help with that--at least at first.

If you are depressed-- get help with that

Get something going for the all over pain--and Lyrica is one solution or tool for that --think of pain as 'layers' if Lyrica turns out to not work for you, or has side effects you can't handle or costs too much--there are other meds--don't worry. Some are even a lot cheaper. (gabapentin is one many use)

For spots that are just really painful in a specific way-- physical therapy/ hot & cold/ massage/ accupuncture, injections..etc --lots of tools available.

Ask lots of questions from people here and be prepared you may have to educate your doctor as time goes by.

Hang in there!
Mary

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.