Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
As a kid did you have FM symptons?
schrode posted:
Good Morning!

I hope y'all are doing okay today. Looking back I wonder if I showed early signs of FM as a kid. I had migraines by 14, anxiety & depression by 17 and the pain started when I was pregnant with my first son at age 25. My FM was full blown at age 38 and I was diagnosed FM at age 39, 3 years ago.

My 12 year old son has depression, anxiety and chronic knee pain. His knee pain began eighteen months ago> It is in both knees every day and in various spots, like the shoulders or elbows, randomly. They have ruled out arthritis in any form. He has had blood tests, xrays and recently a bone scan. He has seen pediatric rheumatologist, psychiatrist, orthaepics, nuerology and a nuerodevelopment pediatrician. They can only tell me what it is not.

He has missed about 25 days of school this year and is failing everything. He also has Asperger's and the transition to middle school hhas been very stressful for him. He has stopped going to boy scouts because he is in too much pain in the evening when the meetings take place. I wish I could take all his pain and put it on my shoulders so he could run and be free.

Right now he is starting aquatic physical therapy, I hope that will help. If you pray, please say a prayer for my Zachary!

Soft hugs,
Deb

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Take the Poll

As a kid did you have early signs of FM? What were the signs?
  • Looking back, there were early signs.
  • I showed no early signs of FM.
  • I am not sure.
vote
View Poll Results

missist responded:
I was a very sickly kid--so had a lot of things going on and I did have achy legs a lot. I had rheumatic fever among other things and yes I did have depression too. None of my kids so far ( I have 4) have fibromyalgia. The youngest is 25 now. So Thanking God.
Mary

schrode replied to missist's response:
Mary,

Thank you for responding. I was also a sickly kid, with constant strep throats and allergy problems.

Having healthy kids is such a blessing. I hope they never meet the FM dragon in their lifetimes!

debrabrooks1960 responded:
I had leg pain when I was only 5 years old. I remember it hurting to run or even walk. I was always a slow child. I remember always lagging behind everyone. I would tire out too fast if I tried keeping up with others. I even had the nickname of "granny". I hated that name, but I just could not speed up without becoming exhausted. My parents never seemed to worry about this. They just thought I was lazy.
I hope this new treatment will help your son. I think PT in water is a great way to have PT. It seems like it would be a lot less painful than the regular way. I will sure pray for him.

Soft hugs to you both,
Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

missist replied to debrabrooks1960's response:
Schrode-- My mom told me I once had 14 strep infections in a row.. this is before I had rheumatic fever at the age of 9. Also had pneumonia & mono at 5; so sickly as can be. A very bad case of chicken pox-- in my eyes even. since I grew up that way I thought it was kind of normal. None of my kids have been that sick. I see pix of myself as a kid and think wow-- looks like I'm depressed! Maybe I was, just sick all the time, heart condition, every virus-- got b12 shots, anemic quite a few times. They thought maybe i had leukemia at one time I was so sick-- got extremely ill after the swine flu shot--had such a bad sore throat I had to gargle with xylitol. I think its the same stuff they gave my gramma during chemo.

Anyhow--funny thing is I was healthy when i got fibro. figures.
mary

Anon_10089 replied to missist's response:
I definitely had symptoms. The first issue I dealt with and maybe was the cause, was insomnia. I have had unrefreshing sleep for as long as I remember. It took me a long time to fall asleep as a kid, then I would wake up multiple times during the night. I never could sleep past 6 or 7, even as a teenager. I had "growing pains", which I still have. I also had a lot of back problems, which I started seeing a chiropractor for at around 10 years old. It's funny, though, because I remember having the FM pain and telling the chiro about it and he couldn't figure out what it stemmed from. Hmm.

I wasn't too sickly though. My siblings and I did go through a time where we all got strep throat pretty often but that went away. All in all, though, I had a pretty normal childhood. The pain was normal to me and I think I survived by taking naps after school (even through high school!).

I wish now that the pain had been addressed sooner. I think my nervous system has had that pain for so long, that it's hardwired to feel it and although I can minimize it now, I don't think it will ever go away. I don't have kids now, but if I do, I will watch for these symptoms and try to address them early on.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.