Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
24 Hour Duty
analizfibro posted:
I am a Soldier in the army. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 5 months ago and then I was sent to Korea where I am currently at now. I never had to do duty for 24 hours until now. I have have 4 bad flare ups since I got here 3 months ago and I am wondering if been deprived from sleep can worsen my symptoms. Can any one help?

slb1955 responded:
sleep deprivation will def. worsen your symptoms. I have had fibro for several years and have had so many flare up. Prayers for you.

revrickh responded:
Is the diagnosis in your medical records? If so, I would suggest you see the medical officer for your unit - not the medic - the doctor! If you are having flares while on duty, I would suggest you are compromising yourself, and your duty. (I was in the Navy four decades ago in a security sensitive rating.) I know not what your particular situation is, but if you are experiencing fibro flares, or fibro fog, you need to let others know! You do not need to put yourself in the position of needing to make decisions relating to your command while dealing with flares, and in any service, in almost any position, such decisions of urgent, or perhaps, serious import (depending on your posting, perhaps even of national security importance) are possible at any time.

fibroinsd responded:
Welcome analizfibro...so sorry you are dealing with this...and thank you for your service...

Lack of sleep can have a bad affect on a lot of things..but there are other things that might be giving you problems too..is it cold there? My fibro friends that live in cold areas swear the cold has a terrible effect on them. However, there are some things you can do...

First off..you might ask the doc to check your vit D level.low vit d seems to bother us...Then maybe get a heating pad...that can be helpful...You should look at the section on here that says "tips and resources" and look for the member toolbox..there is a post there..started by Nancy B...that has suggestions of things that have helped us...

For me..I know I couldn't have done much without some good vitamins...A good multi...a GOOD B100-COMPLETE ..and I know others feel that magnesium..and fish oils are good..

I hope this is helpful to you..good luck..

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

franr responded:
Hi
So sorry you are experiencing these symptoms. Yes lack of sleep does increase fibro symptoms putting you in a fibro flare. The pain can be unbearable.Our muscles need rest to regenerate and heal .You need to experience rem sleep so the muscles can rest and repair .Please make sure the the physician for your unit knows of your diagnosis.I know you are on active duty but you also need your rest .Take good care of yourself and thank you for your service. Fran R...

rowan73 responded:
Rowan here, Navy vet. 24 hr duty sucks. Your rating would also contribute. I was an MR(aka machinery repair), using metal stock to make parts for subs. The lifting did not help the fibro, nor the berthing situation. Right under the garbage with about 30 other women. Tight space. No sleep. And high stress politics in being in a "man's" field of work.

Are you on call? How is your break situation? Can you make time to meditate during these periods? That does help. AND EAT!!! DON'T LET YOURSELF GET DEHYDRATED .
are you worried that they'll give you a medical discharge. That stress in its self will add to things. My tour was in the early 90's. But things are different between branches and times.

Good luck, keep us posted and let us know if we can do anything to help.
Thanks for you and your sacrifice..be safe...come home soon. Gentle hand shake.
Smile you're never alone, and laughter is the best medicine. As Bobby McFerrin said Don't worry, be happy...an anthem for me...remember stress makes it worse ;)

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
456 of 531 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.