Skip to content
Does Weather affect Fibromyalgia
micki60 posted:
I, too, was just recently diagnosed and I was so sure that it was RA as changes in weather brought on such aches and pains for me. I live in Canada, where winters can get really cold, and my fibromalgia is worse when the snow starts to fall, until the spring.

Anon_10089 responded:
Pretty much everyone with FM agrees that weather affects it. I live in Northern California where winters are pretty mild so the cold isn't too much of a factor for me. But we get very hot summers and I know that causes migraines and extreme fatigue for me. The people here who also live in cold areas usually report it makes their symptoms worse.

I also think that quick changes in weather, meaning quick barometric pressure changes, get to us too. I get a certain ache when a storm is on the way, and I do not have arthritis. I'm in my early 30's now and have had the weather predicting aching since I was a teenager!

I guess our best bet for coping is to keep warm or cool in our homes/offices, or whatever we need. I find my tolerance for dealing with heat is very low. My theory is that being in constant pain is hard enough, so adding another irritant is just too much!

meg_k replied to Anon_10089's response:
Micki60 --

Living in Minnesota --Northern US -- where it is very cold -- I think weather really does effect FM. Our low tonight will be *only* -6 which is a break from how cold it has been lately.

For me it has a lot to do with muscles getting cold, constricting & cramping. HEAT is the answer! Baths, showers, heating pads, a warm vacation, or a soft hug.

But hot and humid is also a nightmare for me. Or really humid of any type.

You are not losing your mind. Most if not all of us with FM will tell you weather matters.

Meg

lotsapain711 replied to meg_k's response:

You're right, the weather does affect fibro. I have arthritis along with fibro, so I get a double whammy when the weather is cold or rain is on the way. Hot showers, heating pads, pain meds, and arthritis rubs are my must haves. I have learned through the years that staying warm is also a must. Sometimes it's hard to stay warm when you work and have to get out in the weather everyday, but you also need to make time to pamper yourself. Remember, we don't always get sympathy when we feel bad, so do yourself a favor, and take time to make yourself feel better!

bette_kaffitz responded:
Micki,

In the 42 years I've had FM, it has always been worse in the spring and fall during the rapid changes of temperature and moisture that they bring.

The "experts" seem to think that we're all wet about the effect of weather--especially moisture/humidity on our fibro, but most of us "unofficial experts" AKA patients say that weather is a major factor.

Is it cold that affects you, or is it moisture? I have felt great on days when it was below zero but bone dry. Go figure.

The more you spend time here, the more you will realize that we are all so very different and so very much the same. What a puzzling illness.

I hope that you are soon blessed with whatever weather makes you feel absolutely great.

Bette

mariajohnson responded:
Certainly weather affects Fibromyalgia. In warm sunny days the pain is rarely noticeable but in winters the pain becomes unbearable.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
374 of 401 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.