Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lowering Lamictal (anti-convulsant) results
Anon_33926 posted:
I've been on 200 mg. of Lamictal for many years. About a week or so after lowering it to 150 mg. the flaring was excruciating -- *far* worse. Of course, my mood took a deep dive, too.

Has anyone had a similar problem. It seems either the dose was effective or it's a medication hard to stop. (Incidentally, I'd also take 10 mg of Elavil when a flare starts which helped a lot).

rowan73 responded:
OMG!!!! YOU ARE THE FIRST PERSON I'VE MET THAT ALSO TAKES/HAS TAKEN LAMICTyL!!! Wow...
I have been on it for about 5 years. I have noticed that a reduction does have some pretty dandy effects. So, my doc had me reduce by 50mg starting slow..but to help with memory complications or side effects. It helped, and didn't so many issues. Then shifted the nitely dosage after about a week after the a.m. Reduction.

considering that with this med requires for you to look out for a rash that can turn fatal, I guess we can expect anything. Good luck.

soft hugs
Rowan
Smile you're never alone, and laughter is the best medicine. As Bobby McFerrin said Don't worry, be happy...an anthem for me...remember stress makes it worse ;)

missist replied to rowan73's response:
HI there, I've taken lamictal too--but only a short time as I had a reaction to it. Sort of disappointed as the RX I use now Vimpat has a co-pay for my insurance that is almost $600 a month. I take it for seizures but I did notice that seizure meds do help some of my fibro symptoms. They don't help arthritis though--which is a co-morbidity I have too. For that celebrex works great. Sadly it is also expensive.

Did your doctors give you Lamictal for fibro or something else? my neuro told me it would also help with fibro. I take gabapentin as well and it also helps with fibro.

Mary

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.