Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tuesday *****2/11/2014*****Snow in forecast *****
dollbug posted:
Morning FMily. MiMi in NC and snow is headed our way. According to what the weather people are saying, it just might be double digits of snow. WHAT? Where is spring? I am so read for warmer weather. The south is going to get snow as well. I hope they are ready for the snow this time. I guess time will tell.

I was up again this early morning around 4. It seems like I am stuck in the early morning mode. Getting up early is for the birds....and I am not even sure they get up this early either. Actually I have not seem many birds this winter at all. They are smart enough to fly south to warmer weather.

Here is hoping each of you had a good night's rest and I hope we will all have a good day with little to no pain. I think this is what we all hope for.

Welcome to the new members who have joined our support group. I am sure that each of you will soon find some good *tools* that will help you cope better. It does take a trial and error process to figure out just what might help you so hang in there and find out what works for you. Learn all you can about the wrath of the dragon, aka FM. Learn how to pace, pace and pace even more which is important. Find you a good doctor who knows and understands what FM is all about. There are some doctors who still do not get it. (these are behind in times) Ask around and find a good doctor, if possible. Keep on keeping on until you find someone who will help you.

Eating right and drinking plenty of water each day is also a good thing for me. Doing gentle stretches and/or gentle exercises is also good for the body. Moving is good for our muscles.

I am one who has learned how to *control my FM pain* by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well.

Vitamin D. Ask your doctor to check this. Low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

Taking a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts might help your body to relax so that you can sleep better. Sleeping longer is a different story. (I am struggling with this right now)

Stay safe and stay warm today.....as the cold weather continues. Thank goodness we had not had a lot of snow and ice this winter....but we sure have had enough COLD.

Take care.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

crazytaurenswife responded:
Good morning

I hope everyone's doing well this week. Time to bundle up again, as it looks like it will be another cold one for a lot of people. We had snow yesterday morning, but it turned into freezing rain in the afternoon. Our highs will be in the low- to mid-forties all week, with plenty of rain. I was incredibly lucky Monday - the weather set off a flare, but I didn't have to leave the house. Yesterday was Family Day, so all the schools were closed.

My plan for the next year is going pretty well so far. I'm cutting back on the sugar I add to my tea. I used my Kitchenaid dutch oven to make a side dish I can have in place of less-than-healthy foods. It was made with brown rice, carrots, broccoli, onions, and herbs. Sunday, I made my birthday cake/cupcakes with applesauce in place of the oil. I ate two cupcakes and gave the rest to my guys.

The kids are off to school, so it's time for me to make my breakfast (can't fix or eat it while the kids are here - still too many interruptions and they are 13 & 16!). Stay warm and dry!

~air hugs~
Jessi

bette_kaffitz responded:
Good Afternoon Everyone,

The guys are (once again) up on the hill getting some more firewood. DH says we have now officially burned more than we did last winter. Believe me, there are a lot of BTU's worth of heat before the woodstove will cool down again.

I sent away a couple of weeks ago for this free introductory kit for the Atkins diet. I had been seriously thinking of going the way of Mary and others and getting serious about lowering my carbs/grains. The kit came today. What a mess of artificial this and far-from-organic that! I know it is possible to go low carb and still use real, unadulterated food. But do I want to.

In the course of 70 years, I have been on every diet from Weight Watchers (Jean Neiditch was still running it then.) to a medically supervised controled fast. (Just your normal 600 or so calories of nothing but protein and LOTS of water and Metamucil.) Weight Watchers is at least sensible. The others? Scary? I'm 165 lbs on my 5'3" frame. The only time I was obese was the rebound from the 600 calories. No matter what the diet, as soon as I reach maintenance and add 100 calories, I gain 5 lbs. It takes less than a week. It goes away if I go back to the "losing" level of the diet, but comes back at the first bowl of oatmeal (real Quaker--the kind you cook--with no sugar added). This probably means I should never touch another grain, but I just can't live that way.

Am I alone? Does anyone else out there bulk up with even healthy whole grains? If so, have you found a way to incorporate them into your diet and still stay slim?

Chubbily yours,

Bette

fibroinsd replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
Bette..

I know the frustration of dieting...believe me....I have done so much also..including a diet doctor that had protein shakes/bars..and gained on everything...UNTIL I tried medifast. Nancy B. who posts here had also gone on this and lost weight. So, I gave it a try. I lost 100 pounds. It was great..I lost weight and felt great...

Now that I am off the program, some of the weight is coming back on...so, I am back to trying to eat some of it..and some things I love...I hope I can get it down I know Nancy B. has regained some of her weight also.

I have a neighbor that lost weight on a program through the university...and now that is over, she has gained a little back..It will be interesting to see if it stays off..

I have another "friend" that I met here,..that says that you should read Dr. Atkins book...I forget what it is called..and she swears it has helped her weight and fibro..I haven't done that yet..

Good luck with whatever you try..I do recommend Medifast..was so easy to do..but expensive..I hope you find something that works for you.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

mnjeepguy responded:
Good evening everyone. Today I am hornless. I slept from 10-5:20 when I normally get up for work. It is the first time in over a week and much needed. I cheated a little, I took a Flexeril to loosen me up and it helped I am sure. It made for a decent day at work.

After work I had my monthly massage. I thought I was ok going in but what a mess my back and hips were again. She did an excellent job with just the right pressure to not cause pain. She also thought my hamstrings were fine, they were not sore. This contradicts what the Dr. wanted to send me to PT for by just having me bend this way and that. I will stretch anyway, it's all good for me.

Tomorrow we pick up a new car for the DW. We can afford one new vehicle and I much rather she have it than me. I don't drive much. The car we have is 2 years old and wonderful but I like shiny things like most guys and we both love the new one we picked out. It is smaller and more efficient, yet has all the goodies we like. My insurance company tried to gouge me on the estimate so I shopped around last night, I can do so much better at State Farm being almost 40 and never a scratch on my record or a single claim. It's time to switch.

I know winter has a long way to go for us all in the way of storms yet. Be careful out there. Dress for it, keep warm, and plan ahead for power outages and a few days of essentials. I chuckle at how crazy the stores are right before a storm and then realize I am there too.

I am doing well today and hope the same for all of you, each and every day.

Ladies, my DW has struggled to be at her ideal weight for ever. Diets don't work at all, only lifestyle changes. She has tried them all to and is perfectly healthy where she is, just not where she wants to be. In a nutshell it's calories in, calories out. Depending on your level of activity you have to find the right number of calories daily. It doesn't matter if it's healthy choices if the calories are still too high or consumed too late in the day. I have been within a 10lb window for 20 years. I move less than I did so now I eat normal instead of like a horse. If I ate the same I would be a bit heavier. I say try to eat healthy and don't deprive yourself of what you like, just have less of it. I am just a man though. I feel your struggles from the husband side.

I hope you all have a great night, take care everyone.

Cory

Anon_10089 replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Hi-

There have also been studies that show that the FM itself can hinder weight loss and/or cause weight gain. Specifically, a study showed that we do not have the same release of human growth hormone during the exact same level of exercise as someone without FM. Also HGH is made/released(not sure the scientific mechanism) by our bodies during restorative sleep. Many with FM do not go into the stages of restorative sleep. HGH affects metabolism.

For me, calories in calories out has not proved completely true. I would do pretty strenuous workouts, and eat very strictly. I counted calories and with exercise, would often net 800-1000 calories in a day. And I would not lose even 1 ounce. I did this for around 6 months. Not one ounce.

My new theory regarding my body, though, is that I was exercising too hard. Recently, I was doing interval training, which is supposed to be really good for boosting metabolism. Again, absolutely zero results--which should be impossible in the calories in, calories out scenario. But then, my husband and I went on a trip to Asia where we did a lot of walking. I lost weight. My conclusion, and this is based on some research, is that since my body is probably in somewhat of a state of chronic stress, exercising too hard was too much for it. I think it put too much stress on my body and it would hang on to calories/fat for dear life. But plain ole walking is very low stress and it allows my body to burn calories.

I am moving this weekend to a new city where walking is much more accessible than where I have been living. It is my goal to walk a lot more, and not just for exercise. I want to incorporate it into my life. This is how so many other countries are and those people do not have the weight problems we do. I honestly think that is a huge part of the issue here in the US: we rely on our cars, we don't have to walk during our everyday activities.

As far as diet, I do really well on a low carb thing. I've been way off this and have gained weight. I also have been having sinus issues. I will definitely gain weight on even the "healthy" complex carbs. My goal for my diet is to largely increase my vegetables, good fats, and protein. I have a lot more energy with this kind of diet. I also have read that many studies have proven that the Mediterranean diet is very good and it is very balanced. I think once a person was used to it, it would be more of a lifestyle thing than a diet. When I'm in the right mode, it is not hard for me to eat low carb. You really start to barely crave carbs/sugar when you stop eating them.

Ugh, sometimes though, it's hard to stay on top of everything. I'm kinda past beating myself up over it!

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
360 of 387 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.