Skip to content
Need suggestions to Live with fibro
marylousd posted:
How do I live with fibro?
I have had fibro for 7 years and the last 3 years continued to get worse. I quit work Jan 2013. NO, I have never tried to get disability.
I have been so ill since Friday. I wear 2 hats on my head for my headache, I wear two nightgowns and wrap a thick blanket around my shoulders. My house is 90 degrees. If I get in a draft.......I have to lay in bed for 3 days.
If I leave my house, even though I am completely covered, I get a headache and all the aches.
I take several meds but nothing works but rest, rest, rest and staying in my own environment. I am open to suggestions. This is my life now???

dollbug responded:
Hello marylousd and welcome. MiMi in NC. Sorry that you are dealing with so much right now. You do not say how old you are or how long you worked....but I do NOT quite understand why you have not applied for your disability yet. For people who work long enough disability is a benefit when you are unable to work. I will also tell you this much that there is a *window* of when you should apply for it....(I think it use to be 5 years but I am not sure it is the same now). So I would encourage you to check into making your application for it. Most people get denied in the beginning but then you can just appeal the decision. If you are over 50, there are other things that they take into consideration.

Have you gotten your doctor to check your Vitamin D level yet? If not, then I would suggest that you speak to the doctor about doing this. It is a simple blood test BUT you must ASK the doctor to run it. Low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

Staying in bed is NOT helping you at all. You should always get up and move, no matter what. We, FMers, need to move to keep our muscles from getting stiff. I think you will feel so much better if you do.

I hope you will check out the info here under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and read the *member toolbox* as well. I am sure you will find some good *tools* to try that perhaps you have not thought of. Taking a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts might help you rest better. Stopain Spray is something that you might also try as well. (you can find this at walmart for just under $10) A heating pad is a good thing to use. Mine is my best friend. I use mine most every night.

I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to *control my FM pain* by taking vitamins and supplements. Have you tried any? Magnesium Malate is good for helping headaches.

Getting enough sleep is really important. Our body needs to rest in order to repair itself.

I am sure you will soon find something that will help you cope better. You have to figure out what will work or not by doing a trial and error process. This does take time and effort.

Learning how to pace, pace and pace even more is also a good thing to do.

Take care. Hang in here with us. We do understand just what you are dealing with and we care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

marylousd replied to dollbug's response:
MiMi,
THANK YOU for the information and most of all giving me HOPE! MaryLouSD

debrabrooks1960 responded:
Dear MaryLou,
Have you told your doctor that you stay cold all the time? The cold feeling could be something other than Fibromyalgia. I stay cold during the winter months. I keep an electric lap blanket around me for warmth. I love it. I got it last spring on a clearance sale at Walmart. But a regular size electric blanket works just as good. You should apply for disability. I am so sorry you are feeling so bad. Try getting outside if the weather allows it. A little sun can do alot for the spirit. Try to move a little each day to keep your muscles from getting stiff. It is hard at times, but in the long run it will make you feel better. Mimi have you lots of good advise. She is one wise woman! I have learned many things from her and other members here. We are always here to listen and give advise. Please keep in touch and let us know how your are doing. You are in my prayers.

Soft hugs,
Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.