Skip to content
Thursday ******2/13/2014 ******Snowed and ICED in NC*
dollbug posted:
Happy Valentine's Day. MiMi in NC where it is a MESS here today. Lots of snow and ice on top of the snow. It is now snowing again. OMG. What a wicked time we are having. I was so afraid that my water my freeze....but so far so good. And then I had no idea what we would do if the power went out. I have a couple of heaters but they have not been used in a very long time. I am not prepared like I should be. So far though things are ok, other than being really COLD. Temps are suppose to rise though tomorrow....so hopefully some of this will melt and get better. I sure hope spring gets here soon.

I guess this front is headed north now. So I hope people are prepared for more snow and lots of it.

They are telling people here to stay off of the roads. My yard looks like a skating rink. DH is home. I know that when he stays at home, it is not good.

Here is hoping each of you had a good night's rest and I hope today will be a better day. Try to stay safe and warm if possible.

Welcome to the new members who have joined our support group recently. I am sure that things will soon get better for you. It does take time and effort. There are no quick fixes. But there are good tools that might make a difference in the way you cope each and every day. I think we all have good days and not too good days. We have to take it one day at a time. Remember on the bad days though that *this too will pass*. Try to stay positive and do something good for you.

Vitamin D. Be sure and ask your doctor about getting your Vitamin D level checked. Low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

That's all for now. Remember to try to pace, pace and pace even more. The cold does not help the way we feel. I can tell a difference today. I hope it gets better.

Be safe and try to stay warm.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

katmandulou responded:
Happy Snowday!

I looks like most of the country is getting snow right now. Do you know that all 50 states get snow? The highest mountain in Hawaii gets some! The roads in southeastern Mass are getting slippery, and I have two more appointments to go!

Let me echo MiMi's welcome. We all have different symptoms of this wretched illness, and what works for one of us might not work for another. Make sure your doc know everything going on in your life. We all deal with stress differently, and sometimes what we think is FM pain is actually stress pain!

I wish you all the best day you can possibly have!
Lou

crazytaurenswife responded:
Good morning

It seems a little strange that most of the US is under ice and snow (or will be soon), while where I live (BC) it's just windy and raining. I've been telling my relatives I have better weather here in Canada than they do in Kansas lol I hope none of you have to go out today and your power doesn't go out. It's far too cold to have to deal with that. I remember my truck being coated with ice an inch thick and having so much ice trees and power lines were all down. I couldn't even drive down my street since there was a tree across the road. The trunk had to have been at least two feet across.

My back is partway out again. Yesterday, I alternated heat & ice to get it loose enough I could work. Today is an early dismissal day at the school where I work. We were told we could come in if we wanted to, but it wasn't mandatory (I keep an eye on kids during lunch so teachers can have their lunch break). I haven't decided what I want to do. Getting paid for the day is great, but the rain and my back are taking a number on me.

I have decided to go ahead and save for a dog. Even the animal shelters here charge several hundred dollars. I think most charge around $400 - the SPCA charges $300-500, depending on size and age.

Yesterday was a bad fibro-fog day. I was constantly forgetting things or dropping things and then forgetting to pick them back up. I've lost track of time again this morning, so I have a feeling it will be another foggy day. I'm less than halfway through my tea and I haven't eaten breakfast when I should be finished with both and on my desktop by now.

I hope you're all staying warm, dry, and safe!
~air hugs~
Jessi

missist replied to crazytaurenswife's response:
Phew-- lost our power-- thought we were in for a long haul of it. Thankfully it did come back after about an hour. Daughter's did too.

Hubby made it as far as Charlotte so far, he's been coming home from up by Raleigh.

Should be here soon. He wants to make sure we're all ok with this weather.

we are.

Tomorrow is supposed to warm up to 44 so I think we'll be ok even if we do lose power again.

This is one nasty mess of a storm. my neighbor came by and told me I'm welcome to come if it gets cold he has a back up a wood burning fireplace with a blower of some sort. Of course I always have extra food here and we live on a lake--so I guess we are set.

I spent the last couple days cooking and freezing food in portions so if need be I can re-heat things fast on the grill. harder to do if you have a whole frozen solid bird.

Since I had no power I sat down and wrote a list of all the things I wish I had when I was thinking it might be out for a long time. I do have a lot--but I saw I was lax on some things--so got that on paper now and I WILL be sure to get all that stuff as soon as I can. For instance-- have lots of canned goods but since my hands are so bad--I use an electric can opener. LOL.. I guess I need a back up for that one.

God Bless y'all. pray for the south and north east--we need it.
Mary

missist replied to missist's response:
correction hubby is coming 'down' not up.

Anon_10089 replied to missist's response:
Well, don't hate me, but I'm in northern California and it is in the upper 60's today. I wore flip flops out! California is in big drought trouble though. All the electronic signs on the freeways have reminders to save water. There are some towns that are predicted to run out of water this year.

It is the extremes in weather that are getting obvious. Yes, there have been droughts and freakish snow storms before. But not usually at the same time and not usually so extreme.

I hope the rest of you stay warm and safe and remember that summer will come soon enough!

--JR

missist replied to Anon_10089's response:
Hi Anon-- I'm in South Carolina-- so.. my next door neighbors palm trees are full of snow! LOL. should be in my flip flops too.

bette_kaffitz responded:
Happy Thursday,

Here in WNY we have about 4 inches of old snow on the ground and 2 inches of new stuff from this afternoon. I don't know what has happened to the weather elves, but THIS is where the snow should be. (Not that I really want it.) You folks down South are not used to real winter weather. Your road crews are unprepared. You drivers are all trying to drive at the posted speed limit when you should halve that on wet snow. Your vehicles probably don't even have snow tires on them.

It is so unfair and unkind and unbelievable that you are getting all this winter weather. I feel for you all.

My dear friend and neighbor and I took a one hour trip to a rheumy. We did some fun shopping first, then went to the office for my 1:40 apt. He told me that the OA in my fingers, wrists, elbows, and shoulders--but especially the hands--will cripple me if I don't start taking some anit-inflamatories soon. He sent me for X-rays and I'll have blood tests (again) tomorrow. Then there will be a follow up in 2 weeks. My best guess is that I am exactly where I was 40 years ago arthritis-wise. That's true in my spine. We'll see what the X-rays say.

It was fun to be out with a girlfriend and shopping as opposed to going with my guys. We did a lot of giggling. The radio station was playing "music you never expected to hear on the radio again" with an emphasis on love songs for Valentines Day. Here were 2 70 year olds singing along with Tony Bennett, Johnny Mathis, Bobby Vinton, and Elvis. And we remembered the all the words to "Chances Are," "Blue Velvet," and "It's Now or Never."
What a wonderful experience. God Bless our Friends.

Hope you are all warm and dry and will have a wonderful Valentine's Day tomorrow!

Bette

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
370 of 397 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.