Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Shots for fibromyalgia pain
sharonplunkett posted:
The doctor wants to give me injection shots for fibro, the shots contain prednisone and other inflammatory drugs, I have had them before and they didn't help.. it just made me feel like I was putting more useless drugs into my body.. has shots helped anyone?

cherieoos responded:
I've had cortisone in my shoulders and hips and it did help for about a week. I've been on oral prednisone and found that helped my generalized pain as well. They weren't painful shots either. I would go for it.

dollbug responded:
Hello Sharon. MiMi in NC. OK...so are the shots for FM or
myofascial release? Some of our FMers here do get injections. If you have already gotten them though and they did not help, then I am wondering why you are getting them again. Is this a different kind perhaps?

According to what I have read FM does not include inflammation. I will say that I do not agree with this....as I have had issues with inflammation.

You do not say what you have or have not tried. I do hope you will check out the info here under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and read the *member toolbox* as well. I am sure you will find some good *tools* that perhaps you have not thought of trying.

I am sure you will soon find something that will help you cope better. It does take time and effort to figure out just what will work. We are all different and what works for one may or may not help another.

Have you gotten your Vitamin D level checked yet? If not, then you should speak to your doctor about getting it checked. Low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

booch007 responded:
Good morning Sharon,

I receive trigger point injections and they do not include cortisone. I will get an inflamed tendon from the tension of the muscle pulling on it, but the treatment is the muscle.

Is he known for this therapy, trained in FM or myofascial issues? A GP may go for a tendon injection or a bursitis fix, but it is not something really indicated for FM.

Cortisone is good but it has so many bads we kinda stay away from it. Does he have your meds right? As Mimi sdaid look in the toolbox under resources and look at the fmilys tricks for better.

My injection are with Lidocaine though they can be done with a "dry" needle (nomeds) It is only to help with the soreness of the shots that they add the lidocaine. Aimed at the trigger point or insertion of the muscle I get a great response of relax by day 2 after a session.

I will tell you in the beginning i doubted this therapy as an avenue for me, but now my muscles are hooked and respond well.

Good luck, I hope you find relief soon. .

Nancy B

missist replied to booch007's response:
I think I would agree with Nancy B. I've had a cortisone shot when I first got fibro and it hurt like crazy--through my shoulder--but did NOTHING to help. Lidocaine might have done better.

I have sometimes had luck with prednisone--accidentally found out it helped when I had some for my lungs--when I had inflammation there.

I do get inflammation but it is not fibro as far as I know--fibro is supposed to be non inflammatory--although I think sometimes that the mps may be a muscle inflammation of some type-- best I know its not--but it sure feels like it and sometimes my muscles respond to nsaids like my joints do. They have arthritis so different.

I would ask him what his reasons are-- tell him you'd like to research it a little first since fibro is such a hard to treat issue--with so many opinions--ask him to let you see what others are using and how it is working for them first.

Hopefully he will understand that this is an illness that sometimes is controversial and you want to explore options.

Mary

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D level checked ***
I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
Was this Helpful?
214 of 244 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.