Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do I have fibromyalgia
hollywalks posted:
I am a 67 yo female who was hit with a sudden illness 2+ years ago. I have slowly recovered so that the only real symptoms left are memory and balance issues. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 1 1/2 years ago and am on gabapentin 600 mg twice daily. So, I know this could account for the decrease in pain and memory. BUT, with my walker, I have competed in 5K races and finished in 53 minutes. I use the walker because of the balance problems. Yesterday, I shoveled snow for almost 2 hours and the only residual is sore muscles. I don't feel like my exercise level matches my diagnosis.

dollbug responded:
Hello hollywalks and welcome. MiMi in NC. Only you and your doctor can decide what is going on with your health. You shoveled snow for almost 2 hours.....really? I have to ask you....did the doctor check your *pressure points*? This is the normal way that the doctors figure out if indeed you have FM.....besides of course, what you tell him about how you are feeling. Memory issues or lack of concentration and balance can also be symptoms of FM along with feeling like you have the flu, very sore body. And then some of us have headaches and IBS and stomach problems and the list can continue.

Some FMers also have chronic fatigue. (I do). My energy level use to be fine. I have hardly any energy these days. Most of the time I have to push myself in order to get done what I need to do, for the most part.

People normally with meeting the wrath of the dragon, do not recover from it. Most of us have our good days and then not too good days as well.

I have read that some people, with age, do not have the pain and other symptoms as much. I thought though that I read it was around 60. I am now 61 and I have not experienced having less of what the wrath of the dragon hands out. But I sure hope this is indeed the case. Perhaps this is what is going on with you. Perhaps the gabapentin dose is what is allowing you to cope as good as you are.

I guess just be thankful for how you feel and hope that the memory and balance issues get better as well. Perhaps you are just lucky.

I will tell you this much. I could not shovel snow for 10 minutes.....much less 2 hours.

Take care and enjoy feeling better.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

missist replied to dollbug's response:
I would sure be wondering if it was fibro too, like Mimi - can't tell you--but I'd wonder with that ability to run and shovel. I sometimes over do a bit and suffer for it--but 2 hours of shoveling is more than I'd be able to handle and I'd be really sorry if I did manage it.

missist replied to missist's response:
Also--if your stamina is good but balance is off-- you might try a good water aerobics class with balance exercises. I did that before my last bout with muscle issues/ and a new disc issue--and I was improving a lot with balance at the time.

memory might be just aging or it might be the gabapentin. I know fibro has cognitive issues so it could be that too. Still-- you're in pretty good shape for fibro.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.