Skip to content
An_255749 posted:
I have had this for 14 years now been hospitalized twice, in between doctors right now mine retired. I am using a cane to keep upright, I do go shopping and I walk in my yard, walk mostly around the house, I do relaxation exercises bathe in hot water my husband is the greatest person I know, he puts up with my tantrums and crying, frustration and anything else. I am 52 and broke financially. had to quit work, church is almost impossible, cant sit to long cant stand to long cleaning house is rough, life is hard, with this disease, but I am not a quitter so any suggestions on pain will help as long as it don't in water exercises, stretching,listening to music, or most importantly bible reading all these I do
ajnsmom responded:
Hi An,

A memory foam topper helps me sleep better, so more good sleep means less pain. I also take Amitriptyline, Gabapentin, and Cyclobenzaprine, a muscle relaxant, for pain. I just turned 49, and between fibro and diabetic neuropathy and diabetic retinopathy, I had to stop working. So now I'm waiting for an SSDI hearing to be scheduled. I understand some of what you're going through, and I pray that you will find something that works to lessen your pain.

Linda S. (Jacksonville, FL)
missist replied to ajnsmom's response:
Hi.. missed this thread somehow.. what areas are in most pain? Most of what I do/use are specific to what hurts, might have something helpful up my sleeve.
mariajohnson responded:
People with fibromyalgia will always have some pain. You can take some supplements, Vitamin D, you can also go for acupuncture or massage treatments.
meg_k replied to mariajohnson's response:
An, I agree with Maria that we will always have some pain. It varies a lot. Here are some other ideas for relief:
* Heating pad;
* Gentle massage;
* VITAMIN D -- have your levels tested and get up to the 50-60 range!! This will help. I am not a doctor!
* Meditation;
* Medication -- ones that have helped me: Cymbalta (now off patent so cheaper), neurontin (generic also). Others on this site have suggested elavil. I have not tried that. I also do break down and take Aleve or Ibuprofen. It only takes the edge off, but it helps.

An, the other advice I have received many times, and scoffed at many times because I was not in the place to hear it, is focus on what you DO have and what you CAN do. It's hard, but it makes a difference!!!

Meg K

Helpful Tips

Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
485 of 560 found this helpful