Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
pain
An_255749 posted:
I have had this for 14 years now been hospitalized twice, in between doctors right now mine retired. I am using a cane to keep upright, I do go shopping and I walk in my yard, walk mostly around the house, I do relaxation exercises bathe in hot water my husband is the greatest person I know, he puts up with my tantrums and crying, frustration and anything else. I am 52 and broke financially. had to quit work, church is almost impossible, cant sit to long cant stand to long cleaning house is rough, life is hard, with this disease, but I am not a quitter so any suggestions on pain will help as long as it don't in water exercises, stretching,listening to music, or most importantly bible reading all these I do

booch007 responded:
Good morning,
There are non medical additives to the pills I take, but my meds are the base to the things I do. Have you looked in the resource area to the right to see the Members Toolbox ? In there are the many things we all came up with that worked for each of us.

I hear you with the sitting in church, Mass is a tough one, a problem for me also. Make sure you have the supplements in. If money is an issue this is all going to be tough to treat.

Things that are free I use as an addition to.....meds. Mimi here doesn't use anything but Supplements, but that wouldn't have wrked for me. I hope you get some good answers to help you.
But try the toolbox...there is so much in there.

Good luck, Nancy B

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome. MiMi in NC. Sorry that you are dealing with so much. It is really sad when we FMers go to the doctor to get help and they do NOT have a clue how to help us. It is indeed a tough road to travel. BUT....there are good *tools* to try and with a trial and error process, then I would hope that you can find something that will help you cope better. IF possible you do need to find a good doctor who treats and understands the wrath of the dragon. If you decide to shop around do so on the phone and ASK them directly IF they have a doctor who treats FM. If you are close to a medical school hospital call them and inquire...they will probably know where to direct you.

I think we all struggle with trying to find someone who will help us and when all else fails, then you have to do your own research and figure out what will help you to cope better. I wish I could tell you that it is easy, but I can't.

I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to *control my FM pain* by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well. It took me a long time to find the *just right combination* but overall what I do works, for the most part.

I will tell you that my doctor tried to provide me with different medicines before I got to this point. Nothing I took helped the pain and most of them caused other side effects. So it was NOT like I did not try.

I take Fibro Response, Magnesium Malate, P5P (which I have to get at the vitamin store) ....I also take Omegas, joint supplement, a good multi with extra Vitamin D. These are the ones which help my FM pain, along with other things that I do.

I would also encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level which is important to a lot of people these days. It is a simple blood test but you must ASK the doctor to do it, as it is NOT included in the normal blood work that they do. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

I use a heating pad as needed....(almost every day). Getting enough sleep is so important for me to be able to function each day. Taking a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts help the body to relax so that you can rest better might help you. (there are nights though that I still have issues with getting enough sleep)

Watching what you eat and drinking plenty of water is also important. I drink water 98% of the time. So important to drink a lot. Doing gentle stretches and/or gentle exercises is also important. We FMers must move, regardless of how we feel. Staying in bed is NOT an option. (heck I don't even sleep in one as it is) I have to sleep in a recliner, with pillows. Whenever I sit, I sit on cushioned pillow. I think this is why my pain is NOT as bad as it could be. I can tell when I don't do this I have more pain.

Learning how to pace, pace and pace even more is probably the most important thing that you can do. Learning not to *cross your line* is also important. Give yourself time to rest. I have now labeled this as *picking and choosing* what to do when I feel up to doing it. This is not easy but it is certainly important. You have to learn to take care of yourself. I also struggle with chronic fatigue.

Stress is the wrath of the dragon's best friend....so it is important to limit your stress as much as possible. (easier said than done)

OK. This is a start. I have found that getting upset does nothing but increases my level of pain. Trust me, it is not worth it. Getting our pain under control is more important.

You might also try some Stopain Spray (found at walmart for just under $10)....it is good stuff. You might also find a coupon on line or in the paper for this.
Use it on places which will not stop hurting.

I hope you will continue to post here and learn all you can about what others have found that has helped them. I am sure you will soon find something to help your pain as well.

Take care.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

fibroinsd responded:
So so sorry you are dealing with this...it is quit frustrating for sure...

Do you have a good heating pad??? I think that is one thing I would get right away...

Have you tried any medications for this?? Again, like Nancy said..hard to do if you don't have insurance..does your state have the new afordable care act??? Maybe you will be available for medi-cal...For sure you need to get your vit d level checked..

A good B-vitamin can help too... I did find help for awhile with Cymbalta..and others have used other meds...but again...you will need insurance and medical help for all that..

Other than that..do check the member toolbox...see what you think and ask more questions ...any time !

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

bette_kaffitz responded:
An,

You are so right. Life with fibromyalgia can be really tough. I am 70 and have had fibro since my second pregnancy. Believe me, I understand that it gets more frustrating as each year goes on.

First of all, please check out the new medical insurance options in your state. Since you have a limited income, you may find that the government will help pay for your insurance. You may even be eligible for medicaid. It doesn't cost anything to find out.

Second, go to your local library and check out everything you can find about fibro. Ask your librarian for help. You will be amazed how much these people know--and how much they can get from other libraries--all for free. I especially like the books by Dr. Devin Starlanyl. She is great, and she's one of US!

Third, here are so many more medications available to treat fibro than there were just a few years ago. You will be amazed at the types of help your doctor can give you. You have probably already tried creams like BenGay. There are creams with capsaisin that some of us swear by. (I can't use these. They never stop stinging.) I like the prescription Voltaren Gel. It does not smell once it's dry. It does not sting. It really helps with those special spots on your body that still hurt even with your pills.

If it turns out that you really cannot afford to see a doctor or pay for prescription meds, please play around with your drugstore's generic forms of aspirin, naprosin sodium, and/or ibuprophin. Be careful to check all labels and make sure that, checking ALL the meds you take, you are not doubling up on aspirin or aceteminephrin (Tylenol). If you get migranes, please try your pharmacy's generic version of Excedrin Migrane. It is the real deal. It might be a good over the counter medication to start with, since it has aspirin, Tylenol, and caffeine in it. That is a pretty potent mix. Most of us can tolerate it. Start with a small bottle in case you cannot.

You are right about the stretching, warm water exercises, music, and prayer. They all help.

Please keep up your spirits. I know it is hard when you hurt all over, cannot get a good night's sleep, and have the memory of a sieve. There are ways to feel better. You just have to find the ones that work for YOU.

Towards better days,

Bette

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.