Skip to content
Suggestions? Positive support?
kcbisquick posted:
Hello Folks. I'm a 30yo female nurse with FMS. I'm in need of some advice, not sure if there is really anything I haven't tried so maybe I'm just in need of positive reinforcement to get me over the hump.

Nursing is my second degree. Yes, after already knowing I had FMS I decided to go back to school to start a highly physical career. Some may think of this as dumb but nursing is where I belong.

Before nursing I focused on getting myself into a routine. I ate 6 small meals a day every three hours, got my 8 hrs of sleep and did low impact workouts three to four times a week. My fibro was managed well (flare ups usually due to weather, illness, or lack of sleep when pushing myself). I was satisfied.

After graduation I knew that finding a job in which I would be sitting most of the time would be best, however I'm the type of person who would always wonder if I could do the running around if I didn't try. Hence, I tried. Truth of the matter is, I'm struggling. I work four ten hour shifts a week, standing for the majority of that time. I also am running, lifting, sweating etc. My manager does not care to make modifications for me, in fact she laughs when I mention I am struggling because all she sees is a 30yo in front of her (the youngest employee in the building). Obviously I am looking for a new job but times are tough and it's been about six months with no luck.

I have no energy to make it to the gym, to eat well, or to take care of myself. I have enough stamina to barely make it through the day, I come home, and then sleep, wake up, do it again. I can't eat my 6 small meals a day anymore because no food allowed on the clinic floor. I sometimes go from 5am to 2pm without eating. I've decided to spend the money to get a massage once a month which does help but it only lasts for about two weeks. I just think it's crazy to spend more in order to get two a month. Not to mention, the lbs are adding onto my body.

I guess my question is; do you think there's something I haven't tried, a routine, a supplement, a certain type of workout? Does anyone know of laws or literature I could show my manager to sort of man handle her into helping out? Lol, I think I've tried about anything but figured I'd reach out anyway. I am trying to remain positive but I'll be honest...it's getting harder. Thanks guys.

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome. MiMi in NC. We have several nurses here who post and who have FM. Nana B only posts on week-ends but I am sure she can and will provide you with some good info on how she copes. I do know that she gets trigger shots to help her.

Sorry that you are dealing with this ugly and mean illness. But I am sure that you will probably find some good *tools* here. Be sure and read the *tips* and *resources* and be sure to review the *member toolbox* as well. (Nana B was the one who started this post and it is indeed a very good one)

Have you gotten your Vitamin D level checked yet? If not, then I would encourage you to do this as soon as you can. Low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well. Low Vitamin D is also common for many people. It is a simple blood test but you must ASK the doctor to run it, as it is not included in the normal bloodwork that the doctors do.

I do think you should at least try to drink a protein drink when you are not able to eat. And be sure and drink plenty of water also. Doing gentle exercises and stretches each day might also help you. And of course getting enough sleep is also a must.

Have you tried taking any vitamins and supplements? I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to control my FM pain by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well. I also have chronic fatigue though and I have NOT found anything that has helped this. It is as bad, if not worse than dealing with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM.

Having a good positive attitude is a good thing also. You have to figure out a way though to help yourself so you can continue to help others.

It does take a trial and error process on whatever you decide to try....which as you probably already know takes time and effort.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

missist replied to dollbug's response:
Hi KC..
boy I'm really impressed to be honest. I was working as a nurses aide in a nursing home when I got fibro about 30 yrs ago. My dr told me to find another job. I was also pregnant with #2 child at the time. I wasn't actually diagnosed--it was almost 3 yrs before I found out what it was. But anyhow I hung out at that job about 2 months before I gave up.
So-- I'm very impressed at your effort.
I don't know--I did at times work full time after my diagnoses--when my four kids were grown--but it was very hard, there was a time I had a remission of sorts and it wasn't as bad-but being on your feet all day with fibro is darn hard. Its not much of a life--you get home and collapse. that's what I did. so basically the job was my life.

I don't know much about laws or anything else--but I will certainly pray for you. You must be passionate about your job and of course $ matters. I was luck enough to have a hubby who can handle the $ load alone. There is disability of course or switching to other types of nursing work--like home care for instance. I will tell you though--once you do get off your feet more-- you will lose strength--it hurts to work, but it hurts not to. Fibro is not a friendly disorder.

Nana B gets tender point injects for hers and I think she has mentioned a diet low in carbs? Anyhow there are meds and supplements and all that-- Mimi doesn't use an meds--but she also doesn't work outsider her home--so it is a tough tough thing.

I'm also home and find even that difficult. So--am I very supportive? I don't know-- its a hard call for you. I guess I'm supportive in just the idea of saying--hey I'll pray for you--and I'm pretty impressed. I know nurses are tough people and no doubt oyour supervisor is a tough cookie who has no idea what you are dealing with. I so get that. Prayers going up now. hope you find a solution you can be happy with.
Mary

bette_kaffitz responded:
Please don't get me wrong, but if it is at all possible, try getting a little more exercise. If your clinic has an elevator, ignore it and use the stairs. On your break, while you're sipping that protein shake, take a walk--outside if possible.

Believe me, I know how unwelcome this information is. I would probably hit anyone who told me to do a little MORE physically.

I only know that while I was still working I did much better with my fibro when I walked during my lunch break. I would walk 15 minutes to the Pizza Hut salad bar, eat, and then walk back on the days when I had a whole hour. When I had less time, I'd walk while I was drinking my protein shake or eating my yogurt. And I felt great and lost weight--even with the fibro.

Start slowly. (Even with just 1 minute before or after your shift.) Work up until you find where you feel best.

I don't know how your body reacts to medications, but, even in this climate of low tolerance for opioids among healthcare workers, you should be able to find something to make your life a little less painful and your nights a little more restful.

In the meantime, have you thought about becoming a nurse practicioner? You will have greater responsibility, greater pay, more patient time, and less physically demanding work. Yes, it means going back to school, but it will be worth it in the long run--especially since you have another 25-30 years to continue in your chosen profession. Wouldn't you rather have a better paid, more interesting time during those years? I would.

Think on it.

Bette

missist replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
Hi Bette-- I think you misunderstood -- she's getting too much exercise. I was saying if she chose to not do that, she'd find she would lose some fitness level. I like that idea about the nurse practioner training. My neice is an RN and is back to school for that. Here in our neck of the woods many towns only have nurses. its probably going to be a wide open job field--one of few for the future--and at age 30 you still have time.

Anon_10089 responded:
Hello-

I am 32 with FM and have had it since childhood. Good for you for pursuing your goals. But now you're seeing how this "condition" will absolutely force you to modify your life. It sucks.

If your work has Human Resources, check there. I believe there are laws that will require a workplace to allow for modifications, especially if it means preventing a person from having to go on disability. I could never go that long without eating! I would become a danger to the patients! I don't know the regulations at clinics, but is it legal to let you guys go that long without a break or without even 2 minutes to stuff a granola bar down? If you can take bathroom breaks, is there a place in there where you could store some nuts (cleanly, of course)?

If you can afford it, get the 2 massages, even if it's expensive. Find a therapist who specializes in myofascial release. With a job like yours, you could end up with worse problems when you're older. Read some posts by "Booch". She is a nurse who has Myofascial Disorder, which is a close cousin to FM.

I'm sure a job will come along at some point that will be a lot more low key. Now you have a gauge for what will work for you. This place is great for support and information!

kcbisquick responded:
Thanks everyone for the advice. Sometimes just writing and getting it out helps. I actually had my Vitamin D tested three months ago, it was low and I am now taking D daily.

I would love more exercise. Like I mentioned I used to go three days a week. I no longer have the energy. I'm too stiff in the morning to go before work, it ends up hurting more (and my new gym isn't open that early lol). I tried packing my gym bag and leaving it in my car so I didn't come home first (and choose to stay ha). Thought I'd only go on my three days off and then do pilates the four other days...unfortunately I am battling depression as a result of PTSD so since that idea all I do is sleep when I'm not at work. It probably is the best idea out of all I've had and just need to battle my depression so I can stick to it.

Thank you, thank you thank you though. The responses truly put a smile on my face. And thank you for the prayers. I've always tried to be more positive about my FM and I feel I've been successful. I suffered a personal tragedy in August and I think the aftermath of that has muddled my usual approach to FM. Thanks again.

Anon_10089 replied to kcbisquick's response:
Hello, again--

Having a personal trauma does change things a bit too. I had a horrible flare and crazy symptoms that I thought were something else after my FIL died.

I "stayed strong" for my husband and other in laws and I didn't really grieve or process what I had been through myself (I was present at the actual death). Anyway, looking back, I think it sent my autonomic nervous system completely out of wack. I've always had issues with low blood sugars but during this time I felt like I constantly had lows no matter what I ate--and I was kinda constantly hungry. I also have benign heart palpitations that became a lot worse. I would get hot and sweaty at the drop of a hat. My body was kind of having the symptoms of anxiety attacks but my brain was not actually having anxiety.

This all finally subsided but what really helped was that I went on a very low carb diet. I know it's the last thing you can do right now. I understand that a person has to be in the right place to make changes like that. But I think what really helped was adding some good quality fats (avocados,olives, coconut products) and subtracting some bad quality carbs (simple sugars and grains).

Our bodies are sensitive. Now I know that after a big event in my life, even a good one, I will probably have a backlash with my FM.

But sometimes just knowing what's going on can help!

--JR

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.