Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fibromyalgia or chronic pain syndrome.
chesterc posted:
In 2005 my aches and pains got worse and my sophomore year in high school was terrible because of the widespread pain in all of my muscles and knees. I would have to go a half day to school, if I went to school for a full day I would miss two days from hurting and being exaughsted from the one day of doing normal things . That my body seems to not want me to be able to do. I have not been able to find any support groups for fibromyalgia or chronic pain in Oklahoma.

missist responded:
HI ChesterC.. I used to live there in OK back when my oldest was born. Good people there.

I am sorry you have joined the fibro club. We all have different ways to deal with things--and there's so many 'things' aren't there?

I'm feeling something like what you describe--if you do a full day you miss 2. Sort of a pattern. I don't go to school but I know anytime I put in a full day of something I end up feeling it a day or 2 later--it used to be in pain--now it is usually just a little pain but a lot of tired.
Welcome to the group! Let us know if you have questions that someone can help with.
Mary

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome back chesterc. I noticed that you posted a couple of years ago. I don't know if you have been lurking during this time or you are just returning seeking some support. It doesn't really matter....as once a FMer you are always welcome. The wrath of the dragon stinks, doesn't it? I think we all know and understand this. It presents a vicious cycle for us to face each and every day. Some days are worse than others, as I am sure you have already figured this much.

There are *tools* though that you can do to ease your pain. Unfortunately, I have not found anything at all to help with the fatigue. I have learned how to *control my FM pain by taking vitamins and supplements, plus doing other things as well*....I am NOT pain free, nor do I expect to be. I have been dealing with this illness though for a long time as well, since 2004. 10 years now. I am much older than you are though and I can NOT even imagine trying to cope at such a young age. I might have had it longer than 10 years but I do know that I am not as bad as I have been in the past. I have had other health issues though as well as FM. I think a lot of us FMers do have other health issues and I also think that we have to find the root of each of them in order to get better. (this is why I think I am somewhat better now).

OK. So you have not said what you have tried or are doing now to cope better. I hope you have a good doctor to treat you and I hope that you will check out the info here under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and read the *member toolbox* as well.

Learning how to pace, pace and pace even more is a good thing to do. (it is not always easy to do though). Perhaps keeping a journal might help you some. Keep track of your activities, what you eat and your pain level too. Sometimes a person can *pinpoint* something that might be an easy fix. (perhaps foods that you are consuming or an activity that cause you more pain)

I am sorry that you have not been able to find a support group in your area to attend. We are here though 24/7. So you can always post here, ask questions, make comments and/or suggestions and know that this is a good support group to be a part of.

By the way, I wanted you to know that I clicked on your user id (chesterc) above and found that you were here a couple of years ago. You can also click on your *my community profile* and tell us more about you. I would encourage all members to do this.

I hope you will continue to post and share more about what you have done in order to cope better.

Good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

dollbug replied to dollbug's response:
MiMi here again. I forgot to ask you....have you gotten your Vitamin D level checked yet? Low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well. This is REALLY IMPORTANT. This requires a simple blood test BUT you must ASK the doctor to do it as it is NOT included in the normal blood work that they doctors do.

Have you tried the stopain spray? (you can find this at walmart for just under $10)...it is good stuff.

One more thing....you said you have knee issues....do you take joint supplements? I have had 4 right knee surgeries (due to an accident that I had back in the 80's)....you should also remember that you should allow at least 6-8 weeks before you decide whether something is helping you. Vitamins and supplements are NOT all alike either...you will have to find what works for you. (I know as I have been through this as well.) I take the Osteo Bi Flex (pink label) which helps me. This brand comes in different labels so you will have to figure out which one is best for you. Also I have had some good luck with the injections as well. (Synvisc is what I got) .

I hope this helps.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

chesterc replied to dollbug's response:
I just decided to come back. I just updated my profile . I recently have started going to a therapist so I think that is helping me the most, with my pain and being able to deal with my stress, just suffer with depression but it's getting better. Hot showers seem to help. Everyday is a struggle just regular things. Thanks mimi

ajnsmom replied to dollbug's response:
Hi Mimi, I just want to say thank you for helping so many of us with your advice. I can't type very much because of neuropathy, numb hands. But I'm glad you're still able to post so much here, and I want you to know you are deeply appreciated here, Thanks again,

Linda S. (Jax, FL)

gen456 replied to dollbug's response:
I too suffer with painful knees and hips, although my pain is not in the actual knee but the muscle, fibres etc around the knees. Is this the same type of pain you are referring to?

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
365 of 392 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.