Skip to content
Happy Hump Day *****3/12/2014 *****
dollbug posted:
Happy Hump Day FMily. MiMi in NC where I woke up too early this morning, again....which seems to be my *normal* these days....I was able to drift back to sleep though and almost over slept. Not a good thing when I have to keep my GS. I made it though and only stayed until my son got home. It is now raining here. And it is going to turn COLD again tomorrow with more rain headed our way. Spring is just a few days away now. I sure hope when it arrives it brings some good weather....warm sunshine and nice temps. I also hope spring time stays for a while.....before the hot, hot weather arrives. I am sure we will soon be complaining just how hot it is. It seems the weather is a constant problem.

Lots of weird and very strange things going on around the world. Things disappearing, without a trace. Interesting also since there is all of this *modern day technology* which seems to be able to keep up with everything but then this happens. Thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of these people though. I hope they will soon find some sort of closure.

The schools are having issues about the missed days now and are trying to decide how to proceed. It seems like some of the children will be attending school to the middle of June this year. A couple of counties has decided to forfeit the spring breaks....and some have already made plans for trips....which does not come cheap these days. So many decisions to make.

Welcome to the new members who have joined our support group recently. We do have a good group of people here who understand just what you are facing each day. Most of us have been there done that. Learning all you can about dealing with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM....will expose you to *good tools* that just might make a difference in the way you feel. It does take a trial and error process to find the just right combination of tools which will work for you. We are all different and what works for one may or may not work for another. Only you will know when you have found what works for you. So hang in here with us and I am sure you will soon find something that will work. Everything is a process though and it does take time and effort to do this. What you decide to try you should allow at least 6-8 weeks before making a decision as to whether or not what you are doing is actually making a difference. There are no quick fixes to easing your pain.

Be sure and check out the info under *tips* and *resources* and review the *member toolbox* as well.

Vitamin D. (this is my favorite tip to share - as most of you already know)....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain....so be sure and speak to your doctor about getting your Vitamin D level checked.

Learn how to pace, pace and pace even more. Start a journal to keep up with what is going on in your life....your activities, what you eat and your pain level....soon you just might figure out IF you are doing something that is increasing the pain you are dealing with. (this is also a good record to show your doctor what is going on with you).

Getting enough sleep is also really important and keeping your stress level low. (this is sometimes very hard to control)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Remember to pace, pace and pace even more. Your body will thank you for doing this.

Have a good day.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

missist responded:
Hello Mimi and all to follow..
I started new round of physical therapy yesterday and found out my lower back issue is more related to my sacroiliac joint which means I am not to be picking things up like my grandkids, unless I am sitting. I will learn more--hopefully techniques I can use to keep me doing a little bit of gardening at least. I go back Friday. I'm not sure--hope there is a way I can still baby sit.

My neck has been flared as well as the issues with hands and feet and this low back thing. frustrating. I have also had a bit of a pity party that I need to knock out of myself. I am thinking sometimes it is OK to just lay it out and look at it--in writing--and see if there is anything that sticks out--for me I think what sticks out is I'm making myself feel worse than I need to--maybe.

We shall see.

I'm looking at photo of my beautiful grandchildren on their vacation in Florida right now and just love them so much. I don't know if I can obey those instructions. I shouldn't obsess about it--I will talk to my therapist friday and see what the work around is--you can't sit in a chair and wait for a 20 mo old boy to come to you when he is hanging precariously on something. lol.
God Bless all,
Mary

katmandulou responded:
Hi everyone - HumpDay Indeed!

It was warm and sunny yesterday - in the 50s I think. We're waiting for the predicted cold rain today and 1-3" of snow tomorrow. We have a 'winter weather advisory' in effect til noon Thursday. We're also expecting thunderstorms this afternoon. And the sun is suddenly shining through my window. ENOUGH ALREADY!

I seem to be starting a flare, the aching is starting in my head and shoulders this time. I couldn't get a good balance in yoga last night, and the ache in my legs won't leave.

Things do vanish, don't they? I think the plane was hijacked, flew west, and is being hidden in a jungle or some such thing. No "heat signature" (scientific language for "no explosion") and they don't see anything in the water. Either that or it's the Langoliers (from the Stephen King book). Im praying they find it soon.

Some schools in this area are forgoing the February and April vacation weeks for a week in March. The logic: kids are only back for 6 weeks or so after the long Christmas/New Year break, then they have a week off. Not a long time to do things. It's catching on, and it gives them a week in June to play with.

I like the new "Related News" to the right: "Brain Scans Show Fibromyalgia Patients Process Pain Differently ". It certainly sounds like docs are taking us seriously. And "A Blood Test for Fibromyalgia? " gives me hope too. A blood test would be a definitive diagnosis, but what about a cure? I still want a spokesmodel for FM!

Off to get a little work done. I wish you all the best day you can possibly have!
Lou

mnjeepguy responded:
Good evening everyone. It was sunny here and cold, but tomorrow promises to be nice and warm. I hope it would stay, but cold again after. Enough is definitely enough.

I was able to get Friday off so I still have a 2 day weekend. I do not care for shift work but my week will be done on Wednesday and I will get 4 days off. I will use that time to prep for the trip out west.

I was able to get my massage today. I was knotted up in the usual places. She was able to give me some relief. I hope it lasts a while.

Have a great night everyone, take care.

Cory

dollbug replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Hello Cory...I hope you have a safe trip and I hope you enjoy it too. I can not remember when you said you were going.

I am glad that the weather is better there. NC is having another *cold spell*....I am so ready for spring to arrive....only a few days away.

I think we are all sick and tired of the cold, bitter, long winter.

I hope you will be able to rest up before your trip.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

bette_kaffitz responded:
Wow, what a day.

I had my medical clearance checkup for the RF Ablation at 9 this morning. (Raining hard on the drive in.) We picked up a Rx for DH while we were in the office and dropped it off at the pharmacy. (Mix of rain and snow.) We went and picked out a new dryer to replace the one that gave out the other day. (Pellets of ice.) Then we stopped at the market for what would have been a few things without DH along, but wound up at over $100 worth of groceries with him. (Big, fat, wet snowflakes.) And finally home.

It was DS's last day as a groundskeeper. He'll be a "general mechanic" at a nice jump in pay tomorrow. (It's a general building trades thing around the college. DS did electrical at the vocational H.S., plumbing at technical college, and has worked on all of it with DH summers and after school since he was 12. He should do well.) But he spent from 10 this morning until 3:30 shoveling snow in the cold wind on his last day in that job.

On his way home, DS picked up the dryer and brought it home. (Heavy, blowing snow.) Then he and DH hooked it up. They really made my day by switching the washer to the left first. For the past few years, I've been *itching about how I have to go around the door to get to the dryer. With the new dryer, it would be 2 doors to go around. Now, with them in the proper position, there are no doors to go around. I can just toss the clothes from washer to dryer and skip the basket. I know it's just a little thing, but there are days when that one little thing is just one thing too much. I'm sure you all have been THERE. (Still snowing hard.)

DH and DS fed the cows 3 big bales of hay and went to the blessed woodstove (I know I mouth off about it, but it usually does keep us warm.) while I fixed supper. (They came back into the house with a blanket of snow on them.)

After supper, I christened the dryer with the clothes I had to re-wash after they got a little too much wait time when the old dryer quit the other day. DS finally went home at 8. (Still snowing hard.)

Let's all pray that winter storm Victor (or whatever V name they chose) is the last for the winter of 2013-14. And may Spring actually arrive next week! (Remember the laws of Camelot? "The Winter is forbidden til December, and exits March the second on the dot." This November, let's elect some people who can legislate THAT--and enforce it.)

Think sunny days.

Bette

bette_kaffitz replied to missist's response:
Mary,

The "recovery room" nurse where I get my nerve blocks gave me some tips on how to do things and not hurt my back. You wouldn't believe how funny I look brushing my teeth! Imagine my body as a V shape turned on its side. My bottom is the point. Evidently you are supposed to bend at your hips, not your waist.

And then there is sleeping. Remember the "pregnancy" position? You sleep on your side with your knees bent and a pillow between them. Evidently, you need enough pillows (between your knees) to keep your top knee level with your top hip (the knee and hip you are not laying on). And I thought all that weight was in my waist!

Bette (she with the permanently bent knees)

missist replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
LOL Bette. I have to use pillow too. Supposed to also sit with my knees higher than my hips at my desk; and with one knee up in my recliner. interesting poses. I think the pillow at night is helping-- the rest not so far--feels worse. but -- I am determined this is not permanent. I just can't imagine not bending over or lifting-- what will I do?

bette_kaffitz replied to missist's response:
Mary, what you will do is adjust. Ten years from now, do you want to hurt more or less than you do today? Learn how not to re-injure your body. Then when you do any type of bodywork (massage, physical therapy, trigger points, chiropractic, etc.) you will be able to just work on the old hurts without incurring new ones. At least that's how it should work.

Learn the right moves.

Bette

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
370 of 397 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.