Skip to content
TGIF******3/21/2014 ******Roll Call ******
dollbug posted:
TGIF******and spring has arrived.....well, sort of anyway. MiMi in NC. There is another cold front headed our way. OMG....can you believe this? You know.....someone must be *messing* with the seasons. Old man winter needs to go away. I think everyone everywhere has had enough of the long cold bitter winter weather. It is time for SPRING...with lots of sunshine and flowers and birds. And of course some of us will face allergies as well. I am already having to take my pills again. The eye issues have returned quickly again.....actually sooner than I expected.

We did have some nice weather yesterday. And it is supposed to be quite nice today as well. Thank goodness for a change.
I can only hope that we have a long warm season of spring.

Here is hoping each of you had a good night's rest and I hope today will be a good day for us all, with little to no pain.

Welcome to the new members who have joined our support group. I am sure that each of you will soon find something that will help you cope better. FM is a tough illness to have to face each and every day. It is a never ending illness with no knowing what each day will bring. Some days are ok and some days are not. We have to find ways to cope with what we are faced with regardless. It does take time and effort to find just what might work well for us. So hang in there and try different things until to find the right *tools* to work with.

Vitamins and supplements plus other things have worked for me. I still find that I have to alter some of the tools that I use though. I do use my heating pad almost every day....sometimes more than just one time a day. I have found that heat works better for me. And I have also found that using it around the neck area can also help (and I do not have neck pain)...but it seems to help with other parts of the body as well. I do not quite understand this but I do whatever works.

Drinking lots of water every day just might be a good change for those of you who are still trying to find good tools that will help. Sleep is also an important factor for us all. I know that lack of sleep sure makes a difference in my pain level and how I feel. I am still trying to find better ways to conquer this though and it has not been an easy task for me. Stress level can sure affect the pain level as well.

Vitamin D. Be sure and speak to your doctor about getting this checked. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

Have a good day and remember to pace, pace and pace even more. This does the body good.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

rudyandirmouse responded:
Good TGIF to all. I hope that there is sunshine and some warmth where you are today. 2nd day of spring and it will be beautiful here. Wish each day would be as nice.

MiMi, doesn't seem quit fair to let us have such nice days only to return to dreary, rainy, cold days. I know that our today will be your wonderful tomorrow. I'm going out in a few minutes to get my 15 minutes of Vit D3.

I can do that because it will be a spring perfect day! 70 something and sunshine. But colder temps and dreary days will be back next week. DH and I are planning to take out and bring back in plants next.. a pain and one that can be avoided, but the plants needs to feel the sun and if it stays warm we're willing to put um out and bring um back in for a week or so until they can stay out for good. OH can't wait for those days..

Have my neck traction appointment at one and then will do a few errands so I can be out there in the nice warm temps.

Hope that each of you have a good today. I know that for so many of us with fibro issues and pain it won't always be good days but I hope that for today this one is a good one for you.

Will end my post here with ' feel good ' and Have a great day.

katmandulou responded:
TGIF!

Sunny and cool her, should be in the high 40s today. It should be nice here til Tuesday, then snow on Wednesday. Mother Nature needs to make up her mind!

The insurance company has decided that my issue is NOT covered by my homeowner's policy. Why? It supposed says it covers "sudden band accidental direct physical loss". So if a car hits the house, it's covered. But mold we discovered last Thursday and reported to them Monday does not because it takes time to grow. I'm not taking this lying down and have hired my own independent adjuster to look around. Fingers crossed!

DH left on a business trip this morning, so I'll be cleaning out the kitchen for the work to be done. A friend told me to get a suit, mask and respiratory to be sure I don't make myself sicker. The pipe needs to be repaired fast, since it's spewing hot water - mold's favorite food. DH will be in training class Sunday through Thursday, and coming home Friday. Already I can't wait til he's back!

Yes, I'll be pacing myself, but sometimes I get on a roll and it's hard to do. I'm setting my phone to mark each hour, just a reminder to take breaks. Here's hoping this doesn't affect me too badly.

I wish you all the best Friday - and the best weekend -you can possibly have!
Lou

mnjeepguy responded:
Good late morning everyone. I am not good at all today. I ruined my streak of not getting the stomach flu for over 10 years last night. I felt off yesterday afternoon. By 12 I could not sleep, and since then I have not more than 20 minutes as that little bugs robs every ounce of water from my body. My legs hurt so bad I can't sit still or sleep. I am sipping sports drinks with some luck, but that is it. I don't dare even take my meds. I do believe it was acquired at a local fast food place where I grabbed lunch.

So I am losing a day today but hopefully it will pass in the next few hrs.

I hope you all have a great day. Take care.

Cory

dollbug replied to katmandulou's response:
Hello Lou....OMG....so sorry that you are having to deal with this. Yep...I tell you that insurance is good ONLY when you pay your premiums. They want to collect the money but they do NOT want to pay out anything. Over the years I have discovered just how these companies work. And it is with ALL of them.

I would look really close at your policy to see IF you can find something that explains to you that MOLD is not covered. I can NOT even believe this. I would NOT just accept their word on it either. I can imagine just how expensive this might get.

I sure hope this does not cause you to have to deal with even more health issues. Take care and remember to pace.

Good luck.

MiMi

dollbug replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Hello Cory....sorry that you are down with stomach issues. I sure hope you feel better soon. Try eating some soda crackers with your sports drink. (this always helped me).

Try to rest as well. (I am sure you are doing this)

Take care and get well soon. I hope no one else gets it.

(I hope it wasn't food poisoning)

MiMi

Anon_10089 replied to dollbug's response:
Hello-

I was reading an interesting website today and I thought I'd share some information that hit home for me:

1) With the complicated things that we have going on in our bodies, we might not want to do a lot of classic cardio exercise, like running (not many of us doing that anyway) etc. Our bodies are probably in a state of heightened chronic stress, and exercising like that can add more stress. The result is not actually getting the benefits of exercise. I mention this because this has happened to me. I had a very solid exercise routine for years and did not lose 1 ounce of weight, nor did I feel like I was "getting in shape". This could be the reason.

Simple walking is good, but we don't need to worry about a crazy, arm swinging pace. Also, the site mentioned a program called T-Tapp. It's named after the woman who designed it. Evidently, it's supposed to be easy on the body, easy to do, and helpful for people with bodies compromised like ours. I think there are at least samples of it on You Tube. And obviously things like stretching are great for us.

2. The site also talked about drinking water and the large amount of water we are directed to drink may not be necessary. We can end up drinking too much and messing with the electrolytes in our bodies--that could definitely contribute to aches and pains. It suggested looking into adding minerals or unrefined salt to beverages. Also, the site posits that we can get much of our hydration from fruits and vegetables. Now, we are all different, so I'm not saying to start drinking less water, especially if doing so makes you feel better.

This hit home for me because I have never been able to drink the amount of water "they" say to. (As a note, did you know many of the studies on how much water to drink were funded by water bottling companies?). And it never seemed right to me to drink so much that I'm in the bathroom constantly. If I'm peeing it all out, then it seems like my body isn't using it, right? Again, everyone is different and I'm not saying to stop drinking water!

Well, those are a couple of things I thought I'd share. Neither of which will provide quick relief for any of our issues but may contribute to feeling better overall.

--JR

mnjeepguy replied to dollbug's response:
I am doing a little better. I have not eaten yet but taking in fluids better. The pain is the ridiculous part. I moved from couch to chair all day never getting comfortable. I will make toast shortly. I don't think the food was bad, but that it may have been contaminated. I have no idea. It does happen. The real irony here is that just like last time I had a bug years ago, we were hit with heavy wet snow. I have my twin on call to help me out if needed.

JR, I think there is a lot of truth to both points. I have given up distance cycling and sold my bikes because I never felt up to it anymore. We have taken on walking. It is so much easier on me. I am sure we all have days where we have to go a shorter distance than we want, but it is one of the best things for us.

The most recent info I saw on water intake said to drink when you are thirsty. Any more may be too much. I have read previously that once you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. I am not so sure.

Lou, isn't it funny how insurance companies want your premiums but can be so selective on the payouts? If they don't help you need to change providers.

Mimi, thanks for the thoughts. Have a good evening everyone, take care.

Cory

fibroinsd responded:
afternoon all..

I am so sleepy this afternoon..but can't really focus on anything..not even sleep..

I read a post on facebook this morning..one of those types of things where someone states that this thing will cure everything..so I googled it. and it is tumeric..which I guess is a spice..used in curry...but also comes in a pill...and they say it is helpful for digestion and fibro problems...I haven't heard of anyone taking this, have you? It is interesting..but comes with a warning that if you have gall stones it isn't good to take..but doesn't say what about if you had your gall bladder out..

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

dollbug replied to fibroinsd's response:
Hello cece. I wanted to chime in about turmeric. Dr Oz talks about this all the time and encourages people to take it. I have not tried it though. I had no idea it came in pill form. I thought it was just a spice type thing.

It might not hurt to try if you are having digestion problems. (I am assuming this is in connection with having fibro)

I hope you are doing ok....in your *warm weather*.

Take care.

MiMi

booch007 replied to fibroinsd's response:
Cece,

When I was in Nursing school and cooking on my own, I used tumeric on my chicken breasts. The flavor complimented it well.

Interesting how I was doing things that were gluten free and good for FM even back before i was diagnosed with anything. They say (who are they anyway????) That if you watch children who really can't explain themselves....they will start to eat things that don't bother* them and do things that won't aggrevate them*. Interesting.

I still have tumeric in the cabinet but I never subject the italian husband to it. I stir fry of chicken is a great start and I like the color it makes the food....

Hugs, Nancy B

rudyandirmouse replied to katmandulou's response:
Lou, am so sorry that you and your DH are dealing with this. I can't imagine the stress and headaches this has caused you.

I really hate insurance companies.. it's so hard to get them, their adjusters to see what you see and agree to pay for it being fixed. I know this first hand.

Mold isn't covered on our insurance with Allstate so I have DH check the basement, under the house for water leaking in and on the sidings. We would be much in the same place you are with your insurance coving the repairs caused by mold. Not really fair that that I'd have to fight to get not only the repairs done but get money for a rental as well. I am so worried about this because we had a mold scare that really could have/ should have killed me and it was from something here in the house, they think.. the doctors who were treating.

And a few years ago I got, not sure how, a mold driven pneumonia that couldn't be treated by antibiotics. A team of doctors could only watch me and see if it turned worse. But my own autoimmune system cleared it. The doctors said it was a miracle that my own body could have done that. Anyway I feel blessed and am grateful, but know first hand how mold can make one sick.

When the doctors told us that it was a mold driven pneumonia DH went crazy trying to find where it come from.
He removed flooring, check the basement and walls. Since it was a kind of black mold we had the air ducting checked and after days of looking for possible sources DH found a black kind of mold growing above on the door trim and we bleached it out and have been on the look out for any further growth each year. We do a regular 2 time a year check now. when the heaters go on.. and after the AC goes on. I got sick in late January.. so they thought perhaps thru the heating ducts.

Hope you begin to feel better with your current mold related illness symptoms once you get out of the house and that you don't feel any illnesses once the house mold repairs are done.

Sending gentle hugs to you, Linda R

rudyandirmouse replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Cory, I'm so sorry to read you are sick with a flu. I hope by the time I post this that you are feeling much better. Not getting the flu, even having taken the flu shot, is a not a given, I got the flu, some kind of it not covered by the shot, while in LA and had to be put in the hospital over night to make sure I got past it.

I send <<< FEEL BETTER >>> wishes for a very quick recovery.

Gentle hugs, Linda R

rudyandirmouse replied to fibroinsd's response:
cece, I too have read about the use of turmeric. I wonder what kind of help, really, that it would be to those with fibro or PN.

You know can't hurt to give it a try for a bit of time and see.
Thanks for sharing..

I know the feeling of being to tired and sleepy to go to sleep. But for me, most times, it's because of sunny warm days, that makes one want and afternoon siesta. As you can guess I haven't felt that way since last August.
Gentle hugs, Linda R.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.