Skip to content
Mattress Recommendations?
alloyman posted:
My wife suffers from fibro and we are looking at buying a new mattress and we do not know what to get. Does anyone have any recommendations for what has helped/not helped?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome. MiMi in NC. Have you tried using a mattress topper? I know that some of our FMers have tried this and it has worked for them. I tried it and it did NOT work for me. I have been forced to sleep in a recliner since 2005. I have actually tried everything I know and I still can not sleep in a bed. I wake up with my entire body in pain. So I continue to use my Cap Napper recliner. This is the only way that I can wake up without being in so much pain. I sleep on pillows which help me as well.

Before I met the wrath of the dragon, we purchased a Foster and Sterns Mattress and I use to love sleeping on it.

I hope you will tell your wife about this site and tell her to be sure and check out the info here under *tips* and *resources* and she should also review the *member toolbox* as well. I am sure she will find some good *tools* to try....that just might help her cope better.

You are nice to be looking for the info for her.
Most family and friends do not even try to understand this mean and ugly illness that many people face each and every day. I am sure your wife appreciates you doing this.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

meg_k replied to dollbug's response:
Alloyman,

We are in the market for a new mattress also so I'm interested to see what advice you get on this site. I had fairly recently bought a Cuddle Ewe mattress topper after sleeping on a foam one for years. Cuddle Ewe is filled with wool instead of chemical-based foams. I would not recommend it. After about a year of using it, it has become very lumpy.

Personally I am going to ask the sales people what the softest mattresses in the store are and then try each out until I find one I can live with. Then probably put a foam topper or a body pillow (which is what I currently sleep on, on top of our mattress & Cuddle Ewe) on top of that to make it even cushier.

Good luck to you in your search. I agree you are an awesome husband to be helping in this way.

Let us know if you find something good & take care.
Meg

bette_kaffitz responded:
The day I got my acceptance notification for SSDI, I went out mattress shopping. Believe me, I really tried them out. I'm a side sleeper, and there is a big difference between the depth at my shoulders and at my waist. I found an adjustable air-filled mattress (like the Sleep Number, but for half the price!)

I'm not going to tell you I suddenly started sleeping all through the night, because that just ain't gonna happen. What I did find was that I no longer got up in the morning with my back sorer than it was the night before--now it gets worse as the day goes on and I am tired out.

That was April of 2000. My bed LOOKS all saggy. But it FEELS great still. Anytime I want to make my bed LOOK like new, I just crank up the air. Then, that night, is just reset it to my much softer setting.

I don't think that there is one type of bed that is right for everyone. You just have to find the one that feels right for you--and hopefully for your partner, too!

Bette

badge12 responded:
I bought a 4" thick high density foam mattress topper (Overstock.com) 10 years ago and it was the the most significant single thing I did for relief. One day I'm going to get a 6" mattress as well. Also, I spoke to someone with fibro who travelled a lot; she has a mattress topper that she just rolls up and takes with her so she can sleep well when travelling. Once you have slept on one of these, your body won't want anything else.

ednacarol responded:
I have a sleep number mattress and that works the best for me. It is adjustable, the head and foot adjust so you can change the bed when you want as well as the firmness of the mattress. Also use Tony Little pillows. They have tiny little beads and you can find them on qvc or hsn not sure which station. They are made by hometics. Nothing works all the time you just have to take it one day at a time and stay active. Good luck.

An_256334 responded:
Dear Husband and Wife - I say this because fibro will take both of you working together. Wife, you are blessed as I am. A husband that is involved.
I have been dealing with this issue for 5 years. It flared and stayed after a fusion back surgery. There is no right and wrongs. Your wife is special and so is her bodies reaction to Fibro.
To the answer of the mattress - It took us about 3 years to find a mattress situation that worked. Before I was on the couch. So much pain from my back and fibro. We found the mattress that worked by chance. We went on a trip that I was scared to go on because of pain.We took my extra cushioning for the bed. I found the bed worked for my lower back and fibro.
I contacted the corporate office of the hotel and found they used the following bed: Serta Corporate Suite Plush...
I called Serta and talked till I found this department. They actually made the bed for me and shipped it to me. It cost so much less than so many retail store mattresses.
It has to be turned every 2-3 months in all directions. I can tell the difference. I also had to place a plush mattress cover on it. Not cheap, but on a great sale. I also add a thin egg topper from walmart on top.
Husband this will not cure your wife. Keep on WebMD and mark every place they can send info to you on.
It is diet, slowing down, realizing you are not alone, Yes she will have bad days, but yes she will have great days. She will cry as she has lost a part of herself. Do not let her stay there. Gently pull her out. If she ever yells it is not at you, it is at it!!

I could go on. It is ok if she gets some help for the pain. I fought it and fight it. But due to fusion it was needed. But guess what I am slowing coming off....Acupuncture, cold laser therapy.
One more thing you can purchase a portable ultrasound that helps with deep pain. I found one the same as professionals sale for 1/3 the price the web. BodyMed Portable. It helps so much with the pain in my shoulders, knees etc.

dn0812 responded:
I have fibromyalgia. My husband and I just purchased a new mattress. Before doing so, my husband did a lot of research. One thing he found out is that people usually buy by the set, being box springs and mattress. It is not necessary to always replace your box springs, therefore reducing expense. The Tempura Pedic had the best ratings but was not in our budget ($3,000 and up for a king). He looked on overstock.com. They have a mattress similar to the tempura pedic (memory foam), but it's made out of materials that has been used by NASA. It had a good rating and was $500., just the top part. After debating, we went ahead and ordered. Shipping was free. Within a week, we got our mattress, free of any defects. We've had it now for about 5 months and love, love, love it. I don't wake up hurting like someone beat on me. I don't toss and turn all night. I don't wake up with neck pain or head aches, Even if it only lasts a couple of years, it will be worth what we paid. It did come with a 10 year warranty. Hope this helps.

pandora22 replied to An_256334's response:
Hello,
I am also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I had 3 Doctors tell me but I just did not want to except it, Well my WONDERFUL doctor referred me to Duke for a second (4th) opinion... I am in horrible pain, and on a lot of medications. On top of the Fibromyalgia I also had a Fusion in my lower back. Do you go to Physical therapy? a pain clinic? do you work? I have been out of work for over 1 year. I do not think I will be able to return. You mentioned a "diet" what is that? did your insurance pay for Acupuncture, cold laser therapy and did it help you? I will start a search for a ultrasound machine because that is one of the things that helps me. I did not know they sold them... I guess they everything these days. LOL thank you in advance.
Respectfully,
Pandora22

900honey responded:
Hi alloyman, I don't normally respond to any of these disscussions but when I seen your question about a recommendation for sleeping I new I needed to add my recommendation, I too have fibro and alot of other spine and soft tissue probems. I was going to buy a new mattress too but then it was recommened to me to try a mattress topper (but not a cheep one, cause they do nothing) the one that I purchased was through Overstock.com and it is "Grande Hotel Collection Posture Support 8" and the queen size is under $300 and let me just say this "it is like sleeping on a cloud" so great ! that we ordered a king size topper for our other bed. Try it PLEASE, you won't be dissapointed.

kelly13harrell responded:
I have fibro and also have sold mattresses for 10 years. I just got a Tempurpedic weightless sreme and it is great for no pressure points and for being able to move around easily. It doesn't sink like the other contour mattresses. I know everyone is different but a visco mattress or one with no coils is a good bet. Just make sure she takes her time trying them out. Also an adjustable base is great if she spends a lot of time in bed, like I do

An_256334 replied to pandora22's response:
Hi,
I will do my best to answer your questions with as much care and wisdom as possible. I have to work on each issue as separate problems. Fusion pain is the highest pain I have ever had in my body. My Fusion was lower lumber which means every movement I make starts from this area and so pain is continuous and on going. Fibro to me when it flares is a constant ache in joint, muscles and being touched feels like a punch. It also caused severe fatigue sometimes.
I am sorry you are having to deal with this in your life. I had the same reaction from my doctor that failed me with the fusion. Pretty much this is it, opened the door and out I went. My only hope was the Lord Jesus who loves me, my husband and tears. No one else got it. Chronic Pain is a mystery.
1. I found an incredible pain group in Dallas. I have been with them for years. I see them monthly, they watch me carefully. I am not on my own. But I do not want to stay on the meds forever, but fusion pain/fibro pain together can not be withstood alone.
2. When I say diet. I mean leafy greens in salads, mix with fruits and nuts. Make it fun... No fried foods. With Fibro sugar is the worst. But there is other natural sweetners out there. Be careful. Nothing chemical. I use Truvia. It is wonderful. So many more, I cant give them all here.
3. Physical Therapy was early on after my fusion. It created muscle spasms so strong I would end up on the floor.
4. I worked until age 45. Loved my job. Until my spinal surgery, which was 3 surgeries in one. They started on one side, turned me over and finished with another long incision.
I tried to go back to work and tried again. I finally did for 2 1/2 months until I could no longer walk. I laid on the side of the couch afraid to move. I am unable to take most meds. It was so scary. My world just fell.
5. I can not work. My mind wants to, but my body does not agree.It is ok if you cant. . I cried for 2-3 years about not working and found out it just the way it was.
6. I go to a Chiropractor who also does acupuncture, cold laser therapy etc. Be careful who you choose, he has 30 years of experience and is gentle. The acupuncture took awhile to ease up fusion pain. My major pain is in my SI joints, they are seriously inflamed. The fusion hardware they used for the fusion is too large for my body. I have a petite frame. The cold laser is used after he uses an instrument that helps bring inflammation down in the SI area. The laser settles it down. I believe in what he is doing. It is slowly helping. Acupuncture will be a long therapy.
7. My insurance only pays for the office visit. We pay for the remainder. He is not expensive as he wants to help those like us. He knows we are not rich.
8. The Bodymed Ultrasound machine was found on Medex Supply. I even found a coupon on Retailmenot.com . Use Biofreeze first it will help the pain in your muscle when you use it. I only use it on my shoulders and areas away from my fusion only because had a stimulator installed for pain (does not work where I need it).

I hope I answered all of your questions! Wish there was a way I could share more info as I thought of it.

God is only a tear away. But remember when you have a good day, Thank Him. He loves us. The world is just a mess.

jrd07 responded:
Have had many - sleep number that cost 8200.00 and not worth it at all. By far the best for me has been Temperpedic. Pricy but worth it. Takes a week or so to get use to it.

purplediane responded:
have had a tempurpedic for over 10 years, even before i knew why my body hurt so much. it was like a miracle, such a good sleep, it just molds around my body. i live alone so don't know how sharing it would be, but i highly recommend. it's pricey but worth it in my opinion.
welcome to the jungle - guns and roses

mommylu4 responded:
I also suffer from Fibro & I love my IComfort adjustable & massaging bed my husband bought me from Mattress Firm. It has improved my life immensely. I use the massage several times during the day. Please check it out. Prior to that we had a sleep number bed & had nothing but problems with it. It is the asserts brand for a tempurpedic bed. Best of luck.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.