Skip to content
MSG reaction
An_255674 posted:
I get serious migraines after eating things with MSG in it. I've found it in everything from salad dressing(if you can believe that) to the popcorn. MEGA amounts in movie theater popcorn sometimes, so I always ask. But my most recent run-in was with protein bars.
I've tried a couple recently to see if they would control hypoglycemia while I'm doing errands. This morning I woke to the most debilitating migraine, with a racing heart and shaking hands, cold sweats.....long story short, I got on-line and found on some body building site that some of the protein bars that rely on whey can break down in the system and come together like MSG. Because there's no other foods to keep the proteins from causing this recombination. I know I'm not writing this out right...ANYWAY, IS THIS REACTION TO MSG COMMON TO PEOPle with FM or do you think it's a case by case situation?

dollbug responded:
Hello. MiMi in NC. I do think that MSG is not good for us FMers...I try to read labels also and make sure it is not included. A lot of the soups and broths will tell you on the front of the label IF they do not contain it.

I was wondering when you said you get migraines. I do not know IF you take Magnesium Malate or not...but I do think I have read that this helps with the migraines. I use to have them a lot too but have not had a bad one in a long time now. You might want to do your own research about this as I also think this is what helps my FM pain as well. I also take the Omegas and Fibro Response (which is for people with FM) and a good multi vitamin with extra D.

There is also a lot of sodium in some foods as well, especially soups. I know that I try not to get the ones which have so much of it as well.

I hope you find something that will help you soon.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

rowan73 replied to dollbug's response:
Thanks MiMi I really try to avoid a lot of sodium and run from MSG. But balancing all of the vits & minerals is hard for me sometimes. Especially when I need it most. Stress goes up, IBS goes up,FM goes up.
aaoooohhhmmm, namaste, breathe...

Have a great day!
Smile you're never alone, and laughter is the best medicine. As Bobby McFerrin said Don't worry, be happy...an anthem for me...remember stress makes it worse ;)

megan100 responded:

I too have MSG reaction and FM. I don't know if there is a link. When I ingest MSG it is a 911 call for me, pretty much all of the below . . .

Anaphylaxis (a-na-fi-LAX-is) is a life-threatening allergic reaction that can occur quickly (as fast as within a couple of minutes). Symptoms of anaphylaxis vary, but can include hives, itching, flushing, and swelling of the lips, tongue, and roof of the mouth. The airway is often affected, resulting in tightness of the throat, chest tightness and difficulty breathing. These reactions can also be accompanied by chest pain, low blood pressure, dizziness and headaches.

Anyway, you can see I must be very careful. I always have an EpiPen with me.

You might like to know, if you don't already, that people like us need to watch out for the ways MSG is hidden on labels. LOOK OUT FOR ANYTHING THAT SAYS "Hydrolyzed protein", such as Hydrolyzed milk protein, Hydrolyzed corn protein, etc. I discovered this after making myself a tuna salad and had a bad reaction. My neighbor who has kids who are sensitive told me to look on the label and YES the tuna had Hydrolyzed protein in it. Another time I had a reaction after eating chicken. I discovered it is sometimes injected into chicken and turkey. So if you get a reaction and are sure you were careful about MSG I would guess you might be reacting to it hiding under the label of Hydrolyzed protein of some kind.

I wish you good luck. I have not been to the ER for a couple of years so, if you are really careful it can be avoided. A hint: when eating out I order a saladwithout dressing. I make my own dressing at home and take it with me. You can't depend on restaurants to know what is in their food.

katmandulou responded:
Hi An-255674,

I too get terrible headaches after eating MSG. I always ask for none in our favorite Chinese restaurants, sometimes the waitstaff remembers.

MSG has been giving me headaches for years, well before my FM trigger and dx. It's not related.
Lou

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.