Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Monday, Monday ******3/24/2014 ******
dollbug posted:
A good Monday Morning to each of you. MiMi in NC....where old man winter is headed our way again. REALLY????? I think everyone everywhere has had enough cold and it is now SPRING. So the cold, wind and bitter weather needs to leave. It is now time for the sunny warm weather to arrive and to stay.

Here is hoping each of you had a good week-end. We had an easy Sunday lunch and I also fixed blueberry muffins and had strawberry short cake too. My younger son was working and his 4 year old had a birthday party to go to....so I did not have as many as we normally do. It was good though....kind of quiet. My 2 other GC seem to get along well. They are really very close. My GD was not happy to leave, which seems to be the normal for her. She gets to return next week-end though and will be staying for her spring break. I am sure she is looking forward to this.

Welcome to the new members who have joined our support group recently. I am sure that each of you will find some good support and helpful info here as well. Please review the *tips* and *resources* and be sure and take a look at the *member toolbox* where you can find all sorts of info on ways to cope with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM. It does take time and effort to find the right combination of tools that will work. We are all different and what works for one may or may not help another.

Vitamin D. So important for a lot of people these days. IF you have not gotten yours checked, then I do encourage you to speak to your doctor about having this done. Low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well. Check out the info here and on the internet as well. Do your own research about just how important Vitamin D is.

I hope things are going better for those who have had issues that they have been dealing with. It was good to hear from Jan. who has been *missing* for a while. I hope you can get things worked out soon.

Cory so glad that you are moving right along with your remodeling project. I know just how much time this can take and with you and your DW doing the work.....I am sure you both will be glad and pleased when you have a new bathroom to enjoy. I hope you are feeling better too Cory. Lou I hope things are getting better with your issues as well. Dealing with mold is not a good thing at all. I hope you have good luck with your insurance too.

So much going on around the world. Thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the loved ones who have not been found yet. I can NOT even imagine just how hard this time has been. I hope all of them will soon find some sort of closure and comfort.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Here is hoping each of you have a good Monday. I hope this *cold front* is the end of winter and I hope it is short lived.

Remember to pace, pace and pace even more.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

meg_k responded:
Hi, MiMi and all.

As usual I'm in and out of touch as I can be. I hope everyone is holding up ok. Soft, warm hugs to all!

Here in MN we are getting snow again today, and it's 20 degrees below the average for this time of year. It's enough to make you depressed if you weren't already!

Checking in today...I'm at work, with a migraine. I have taken all my usual meds -- including pain relievers Cymbalta and Neurontin, plus I've downed 400mg of Motrin that I'm not even supposed to take and the pain is definitely still there. I am going to take another 200mg and see if I can get it at bay. After that, if needed 200mg more, max, and then I'm going to have to live with whatever keeps breaking through after that. I wish 800mg weren't the top.

I almost didn't come in to work because I haven't had this bad of pain in a while. I feel like migraine pain can kind of turns up the volume on other symptoms -- my foot and leg pain is worse today, for example, and I have even less tolerance for loud sounds or things touching my skin than usual. The only reason I came to work is to have a distraction. Sitting at home, it's hard to find a way to distract myself enough from the pain. I may go home later if I get desperate.

Time to buck up and enjoy today as much as I can. Today is a gift as is every day!!

Flaring and actually feeling sort of sorry for myself,
Meg.

katmandulou responded:
Hi to All from Mold Central!

It's COLD out! Not good if you're going in and out, but the kitchen is extra warm - LOL! We're under a Winter Storm Watch tomorrow, and we might get 1-2" where I live, but if the storm tracks more north it will be more. You know it's a carp-shoot!

I'm cleaning out the kitchen today, getting almost everything off the floor. I have a table and storage cabinet I can't budge, the same for the 'fridge and stove. There's also a big light fixture we bought years ago, and it's too heavy for me too. I can only do what I can do, work a little, rest a little. Pace pace pace, right Mimi? And the Tyvek suit is making me sweat!

My BIL referred me to a friend who is a an attorney. His practice includes being an advocate for someone whose insurance company won't pay up. After I talk with him, I'll let the insurance co know that I have an advocate - and the insurance co pays their bill. I'm feeling a little better already, but we still can't stay here much longer. That reminds me - I have to call the vet to board the dog.

I hope everyone else is have an above-average day. I wish you all the BEST day YOU can possibly have!
Lou

Anon_10089 replied to meg_k's response:
Meg-

Sorry about your migraine. I have had migraines for years, but for some reason, did not connect the dots that they were actually migraines. Long story short, they became much worse this last year--enough for me to seek treatment.

There is treatment out there for migraines, separate from treatment for FM. I take the run of the mill acute generic Imitrex and it does the trick usually. It doesn't get to the root issue of migraines, but it would be perfect for a day like yours--where you still have to go to work and try to function.

Anyway, just a thought. I hope you feel better!

--JR

meg_k replied to Anon_10089's response:
Thanks, JR. I am totally in the same boat of having had migraines for years but not identifying them as such. I had help from people in this very online community understanding them for what they were. When I talked to my neurologist, she was a bit more conservative about it, saying my headaches have a "migrainous quality" and she wants to observe me for a while. She does not want to rx me anything until we get a better picture of what's going on. But it's a very distinctive kind of pain, isn't it? Different than a regular headache or other FM pain.

Anyway, thanks so much for your advice and good thoughts. I am feeling quite a bit better after a couple of hours with ibuprofen in my system.

As advised by the wonderful people here, I am going to try to focus on what I can do, which today means I still have enough of my health on most days to be able to work. I'm trying not to take that for granted because it's a big deal.

Meg

bette_kaffitz replied to meg_k's response:
About the migraines, if they are coming back often, it would make sense to figure out what is causing them rather than taking more and more medicines.

It took a while, but I found the cause of my migraines was the weight of my thick glasses. (My vision was 20/400 in both eyes. All I could see on the eye chart was the "E".) I had LASEK surgery on both eyes and haven't had a migraine since--almost 15 years!

There was a physical reason for my migraines. As long as those glasses were there, so would the migraines be. If you go about it logically, you should be able to find the reason for your headaches. One friend found she could not wear perfume. Another had been using those foam hair rollers and sleeping on them every night. She got a wash and go hairstyle and found that her migraines left with those rollers! A neighbor's teenager was walking around all winter without a hat. One bitter cold day he gave in and wore a hat. I bet you can guess what went away when his head was nice and warm!

So get out your deerstalker's cap and magnifying glass and detect what the real cause of your migraines is.

Bette

missist replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
Hi Mimi, Meg, Lou, JR, Bette.. and all to come! Happy Monday. I had grandkids today just til 1. about 11 we needed a distraction so got in Gramma's car and went to get gas & car wash and groceries. Oops! Littlest one was afraid of the carwash. poor dear. Otherwise the trip was fine. As usual when I babysit this afternoon I pretty much just napped. knocked out. I'm good for pain today. Last couple weeks had some bad days--but I've been doing phys. Therapy and that's how it goes. I am glad though that this has been very helpful. I am walking much better in the morning still grab the cane sometimes but not as much.

Hubby wants me to landscape our yard a little at at a time--I do too--but I know I will take years to get done--maybe. One big problem our soil is hard red clay and I could not get the shovel in it ONE time even. I'm planning to figure out a way to just poke holes in it--then layer up some peat, soil, woodchips about 6 inches. & plant in that. Not sure how I'll get the shrubs in that need to be deeper. I guess I will have to have hubby dig those holes when he is here. I'm starting with a small bed that is right in front by our stairs and deck to our doorway. I got 3 white azaleas and I hope to add some ferns and hostas and little groundcover that gets tiny lavendar star flowers. I think I will pick up some bags of peat and etc tomorrow after my morning dr. apt.

The whole idea of me gardening--Hubby says is so I get healthier. He thinks I need to fight all this stuff harder. I'm not sure I have much fight in me--but I do like to garden anyhow so its a good fit.

After 30 years of fibro and now more and more arthritis issues-- I'm pooped! He should try it. LOL.

Its really not a matter of attitude or laziness--its what happens when there is NO steam in the pipes.

Anyhow so that's that.

I have a little bit of etsy work I need to do tonight and I really would rather take another nap. I'm that tired.

crazy.

My pc died again so I am using a very old one-- I can't use my software on it--so I am looking around to see if I can find freeware alternatives. If you wonder where I am when I disappear--that would be it.
Mary

Anon_10089 replied to meg_k's response:
Hi, Meg-

My doctor told me that if the Imitrex did not clear up the pain I was having, then it was not a migraine. The fact that it worked, gave a good indication of it being a migraine. It's a long used medication, and if not used often, is viewed as generally well tolerated.

I didn't think they were migraines because although miserable and awful, I still functioned with them. I also don't usually get nauseous. I thought migraines only meant a really bad headache that completely incapacitates a person. While that can be true, that's not the whole picture. A migraine can be indicated by where it is--one side usually, if it throbs, if you become sensitive to light or noise. Mine also went through my neck and up through my face, so I always assumed it was more an issue with my neck. But they've found that migraines themselves can cause the neck pain.

While it would be nice to figure out the root cause of migraines, the fact is that like FM, the doctors don't often know the root cause. We can sometimes root out the triggers, but we still don't know why some people get them while others don't. It can be food triggers, stress, issues in the neck. I take the emergency medication maybe, at most, 3 times per month. I think your doctor is asking a lot from you to just stick it out! My opinion, though!!!

What's complicating, and you may have this too, is that on top of the migraines, I almost always have a headache. I think these would fall into the tension headache category. These are almost worse for me because the migraines will clear up but these do not. I can't seem to get a doctor to understand how bad it is. For months I saw a chiropractor weekly and had massage often--spent tons of money. I had very little relief. I was diagnosed as having mixed migraine/muscular tension headaches. But, like you said, the difference between the two is distinct. Maybe that's what your doctor is trying to figure out. Still, how long is she going to make you suffer?

I like your attitude, though, and I try to keep the same one. If people only knew what we lived with! I try to remember that we deserve a lot of respect for what we do through all the pain, and try to apply that respect toward myself. I'm glad you ended up feeling better today, too!

--JR

mnjeepguy responded:
Good evening everyone. It is good see the board so lively today. I know we are all busy, but it is nice to know how you all are doing and dealing with things.

We just had snow the other day and now they are talking of another good sized storm coming by Thursday. We regularly have snow well into April, but it usually melts a few days later. It will be and interesting spring thaw here. Meg, I forget you are from MN as well. You feel my pain.

I sympathize with you migraine sufferers. My DW gets them rarely, but they put her completely out of commission for at least one whole day. She has to go in a dark room and was usually sick from them. She now takes a daily med for it, I forget what it is at the moment. She has not had a bad one since.

I had a scare last night. I woke at 2:30 AM in severe pain. My sciatic was burning horribly through my right leg. I tried every position I can imagine and could not get comfortable. I flopped around rest off night. I could not lift my leg when laying on my back at all. When I woke had a hard time walking. I was going to call in but I never do, so I got ready for work and ground my teeth. It got worse at work. I had three or four sharp stabbing pains down my leg that almost brought me to tears. I thought, one more and I go home. I took my daily meds and 800mg of Ibuprofen. I was shocked that it finally gave me a break. The rest of the day was alright but my right foot has three numb toes and oddly, my right pinky is also a little numb. I know those are not good signs. My legs are a little shakey yet so I am being very careful. This always makes me very nervous. I make about 80% of our income. Also, it is 7 more work days until vacation. If I miss more than 1 day I have to cancel my trip.

Trying to stay positive... Even if I cancel the trip there are no major problems with doing so, just disappointment. Life goes on, and I have to take care of myself.

Lou, Tyvek suits work great at keeping things from getting in, or out! I hate those things. We used to jackhammer in them with masks and hardhats/glasses in 90 degrees. Icky. At least they do protect you.

I hope you all have a good headache free night. Take care everyone.

Cory

rudyandirmouse replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Hello to all, OMGoodness my FMily is having a very hard today.

MiMi, so glad your weekend was a nice one..

Meg, so sorry about the migraine. I am sure it was a rough day and I hope the meds you did take helped you get through to the end of the day and home where you could " rest it out ". And please don't feel ' sorry for yourself ' FMers like us are a tough bred. We suffer like no one else and keep on going. OMG what we go through would put most people in bed for a week.. we really are a pretty special group of
" CAN DO IT ' ladies and gents.

Lou, so glad you have gotten an attorney and are going to make the insurance company do what they should do, pay for the repair and clean up of the mold. In LA insurance companies are famous for NOT paying for mold clean up and they always end up doing it cause those denied get attorneys. In LA there's not that much rain but when it rain's it dumps and causes flooding. Thus the mold damage at some point... even our house had some, but we were able to get it fixed and cleaned right away.. but some mold gets going in places you don't see and then when it's bad and costly to repair the insurance companies push back. Attorney's get it fixed. Saying that I am beyond sorry you are having to deal with this.

Cory, so very sorry to hear about the pain. I know it must have been hell working with such pain and not getting much relief from the medications.
I do hope you don't cancel your much anticipated trip. You really need it.

Mary, living in TN I so understand the red clay. I hope that in a few weeks you will be able to dig down and get your garden plants in. I hope the Arthritis symptoms ease up quickly as well.

JR you are so right about the many different way to treat migraines or those headaches that feel like they may be migraines. I take blocking shots at the base of my skull to keep the signals from coming up from shoulders to my neck then up to the front of my head. So far these have worked well for me. And as mentioned watching for what is a trigger is the best way to get to the root of the problem. I just noticed that each migraine started when I had turned my neck to quickly to the right. Happened 2 times just like that so I told my PCP, he referred me off and now I get the shots and neck traction and no migraines. Some time I feel like ones going to start but it doesn't. BUT HAVING SAID THAT THEY HAVE TOLD ME MY MIGRANINES ARE FM AND PN DRIVEN.

Okay I guess

Gentle hugs and feel well wishes to each of you..

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.