Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pressure Headaches
joanellen posted:
The last three months have been super stressful with my husband being in the ICU and dr. telling me he may not live. Thankfully he is pulling through but I'm having constant pressure headaches so bad that at times I hear/feel cracking in my head. Tylenol does nothing. Besides the high stress I was stupidly carrying a heavy load of stuff in a big tote bag on my shoulder to the hospital every day. So today he is in a rehab and I am too dizzy to drive there. Pressure and stabbing pains in my temples, forehead and top of head mostly and very dizzy. Does anyone know something that would bring me some relief? Thanks. JoanEllen

dollbug responded:
Hello joanellen and welcome. Sorry that you are dealing with so much right now. I hope your DH will soon recover and be ok. Don't know what you have or have not tried but I will say that I have read that Magnesium Malate helps headaches a lot. I am assuming you also have FM. Toting a heavy tote is NOT good either. Do you have one of the cases you can pull? You might be able to pick up one for a decent price at walmart. You could also use it later. I think that when I worked I did damage to my neck by carrying a shoulder bag which was also too heavy.

Whatever you decide to try it will probably take a while for your body to get the full potential of what it is supposed to do. Have you tried using a heating pad? I know that whenever I have a lot of pain I will put the heating pad on the back of my neck and it eases whatever pain I have. (it does not have to be neck pain, as I hardly ever have that, but it helps my body pain)...I know that the neurosurgeon told me that we have nerves which cross at the neck....(he told me this when I was having shoulder/arm/elbow and hand issues).

I hope that when you have time you will check out the info here under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and review the *member toolbox* too. You will find some good *tools* that perhaps might help you cope better too.

I know I take Advil (gel) when I need something to help with my pain.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

booch007 responded:
Joanellen,

Treat the muscles with heat around the neck. Lean back on a hot rice pak or heating pad. Do you use a muscle relaxant, take that too.

I have to ask though, how is your B/P? Have the girls in the ICU check you. Undiagnosed HTN is a problem and with stress and (eating out...the salt load) you can be in a bad place there and part of the headache is your B/P.

I always worried more for the family than the patient. Schlepping back and forth , not sleeping with worry, eating in the cafeteria and not home cooked foods. IT takes a toll on you. I will say 2 times in my career the wife was sent to the ER with an MI over the stress. Now that is a small percentage but it is a real thing.

I get my headaches from my neck and I treat the neck to fix the headache as it is my cause. I also have a high back recliner, sit on my hands to straighten the neck muscles a bit. I often fall asleep and when I wake....better.

Good luck. See someone though if this continues. your body is talking to you.....

Nancy B

joanellen replied to dollbug's response:
Thank you for all the good suggestions. I will try them and appreciate your taking the time to answer me.

joanellen replied to booch007's response:
I'll try the heat and have my BP checked too . I'm making terrible food choices. Whatever's convenient. And I go to bed very tired but my mind won't shut off. It's nice to reach out and find someone there. Thanks a lot.

Joanellen

booch007 replied to joanellen's response:
Joanellen,

I swear that when I am in trouble it is my body talking to me. So better choices of nutrition for your muscles and organs please.......If shopping is chanllenging use the shop at home features the stores have. I have used PeaPod from Stop N Shop more than a few times. It is great to get everything brought to me and up my steps in one swoop. AND I didn't do it! What a God send.

When I was so bad I also used a product called Green Vibrance from Mrs. greens natural store. It is expensive but it is all green veggies and Probiotics for colon health and I know it helped me as well.

Get hydrated please. It is hard to lay in bed and hydrate. Do you have a recliner? As a matter of fact I slept in the recliner last night. Increased pain from the work I did yesterday and being with the kids. My recliner is priceless and Mimi is always in a recliner.

The help of gravity on my muscles makes a difference and not lying directly on my trigger points when they are active is a good thing too. I sleep better.

Good luck in making better choices for you. No one can help you but you. We are what we eat I believe and things can get better I know it. I hate to hear of someone in this place. I remember it too well. . Good luck, Nancy B

Anon_2912 responded:
Try taking Excedrin Migrane.

That works good for me..when it comes to headaches.

joanellen replied to Anon_2912's response:
Thank you. I'll try it.

I tried the heat on my neck and shoulders and it helped a lot. I'm trying to take the time to pack a decent lunch. We don't have a stop n shop around here but the grocery store is practically in my back yard so I don't have much excuse not to run in and pick up something healthy. I just need to start thinking about my health a little too I realize. I appreciate all your suggestions and you're keeping in touch.

Joan

booch007 replied to joanellen's response:
Good to hear the heat helped. I swear I am at the point now, the whole body responds when a hot pak is placed on me.

It takes time to find your tools to help each issue that pops up. Just be persistant, be thoughtful of your body trying to function 24/7 with what you give it.

It can't run for long without fuel or fluids. We wouldn't do it to our cars......our bodies are forgiving to a point and I think this is the point of paying attention.

So glad you have a new tool.

Nancy B

Thanks again Joan

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
360 of 387 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.