Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fibromyalgia
mama1984 posted:
I was diagnosed about two years ago. When he said what I had I was told it never goes away so basically your screwed. I am to young to have these issues it sucks so bad being tired and in pain everyday. I hope they eventually can find effective cure no one should have to be in pain everyday. At least the doctor I saw at the practice a few weeks ago helped me understand it more and gave me a few tips to attempt to help. So my question is how do you guys gets the pain to stop when it hurts to be touched?

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome. MiMi in NC. Sorry that you have met the wrath of the dragon, aka FM... My doctor also told me the same thing....I also have chronic fatigue. We, FMers, do get stuck with dealing with the ugly illness each and every day. I don't think it cares how old we are....young and old both are affected. It is sad though when people so young have to learn to readjust their lives just to survive.

I am sure you will find some good info here on ways that just might help you cope better. Be sure and check out the info under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and review the *member toolbox* as well.

Have you tried using a heating pad? I use mine almost every day...I have found that if I place it close to my neck that it will ease my pain regardless of where it is. I do not quite understand this but I know it works for me.

Drinking plenty of water each and every day might also help your muscles. I drink water 98% of the time. I do drink a cup of dark hot chocolate in the wintertime. Water seems to be the best for me though. Watching what you eat also and keeping yourself on a schedule of sorts....(eating around the same time each day and going to bed and getting up around the same time might help you as well) Getting enough sleep is also really important. A lot of us have issues with stress and with sleep as well.

Have you had your doctor to check your Vitamin D level yet? If not, then I would suggest that you do this the next time you go in. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well. It is a simple blood test BUT you must ASK the doctor to check it, as it is not included in the normal blood work that the doctors do. (I still do not understand why the insurance companies have not included this)

Stopain Spray is also good to use...when you have places that just will not stop hurting. You can find this at walmart for under $10. Try it....you might be pleased with the results.

Doing *gentle stretches and/or exercises each day might also help you. If you are having major issues trying to figure things out...you might try to keep a daily journal on your activities, your pain levels and what you eat for a while. You will soon find what makes your pain worse.

Everything is a process which does take time and effort to find a good combination of *tools* which might make a difference for you. FM certainly presents a *challenge each and every day for those who must face it*. I am not going to tell you that it is easy to do.....it's NOT. But there are ways that you can help yourself cope better.

Dealing with it is a life changing process. Learn all you can about it....as it gets better the more you know how to deal with it.

Keeping your stress level low is important as well.
I do hope you have a good doctor who knows and treats FM....as this is important as well.

Take care.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

Anon_10089 responded:
Hello-

I'm assuming you are around 30? I am 32 and have dealt with chronic pain/insomnia for all of my adult life. It is hard and there are days where I feel the injustice that I have to deal with this!

There is a better way to say it than your doctor did, but FM is a chronic condition. We can't really focus on making the pain stop, but we have to focus on making the pain less, and finding ways to live with it. I'm really not trying to give you a "suck it up" speech. I'm just saying that most of us here had to go through a grieving process of sorts where at the end, we have at least a little acceptance. Having that helps us to pick up and get down to the business of feeling better. That being said, most of us still have days of depression and periods of anger. I think it's asking too much of anyone with a chronic illness to be 100% okay with it!

I don't know if you're on any meds or taking any supplements. The first thing you might look at is your sleep. Getting better sleep will usually slowly reduce pain. That change is slow and subtle, though. I have had insomnia my whole life. I have actually never used a prescription sleep aid, though. I use melatonin, benedryl, some other herbs--sometimes individually, sometimes together. I find many people try melatonin and report that it doesn't work--I had this experience but found that I had to increase my dose. Do your own research on this, though. I'm not a medical professional.

Also, a small amount of exercise is helpful. I know we hear that from our doctors and they don't understand how much it hurts. The exercise I'm talking about it just going outside and walking. Don't try to get your heart rate up, don't swing your arms (that can flare up pain). Walk at your own pace so that you enjoy it. If possible, enjoy the trees, flowers, birds, sunshine. Sure, you probably won't lose tons of weight or run marathons after exercise like that, but it will help release endorphins and that will reduce pain.

This board has tons of information. I'd encourage you to read through some older threads too. It's also a great place for support!

--JR

missist replied to Anon_10089's response:
Hi Mama 1984. I got fibro in 1985. so I guess you were a babe. Anyhow the pain is most severe in the beginning---it will lessen--especially if you learn to pace, improve your sleep, and get the best tools that work for you.

Currently my toolkit is gabapentin mainly. its a generic form of neurontin. works on nerve pain and I take more at night so it also helps me sleep. I have other issues so I use other drugs but that really is my main fibro pain med. that and Vitamin D and B's.

I'm going to ask also for a muscle relaxant to use as needed for when my neck is super flared. Or my SI joints--these are arthritis--but they set my fibro off.

If you hang out here and read and ask--you will learn alot of ideas. Read the tips and resources too.

I agree with JR on exercise. I putter around in a little garden with the aid of a little bench that flips over to a kneeler with support to get up. I also stretch in hot tub. I used to take a water class but I was undermined by trying not to look so bad in front of all the very old people who were beating me.

don't do that! just really you have to go the pace that doesn't cause more harm than good.

Best to you!
Mary

katmandulou responded:
Hi mama1984, and welcome!

Your doc could have been a bit kinder with his words, but FM is a chronic thing. It's good to remember that what works for one of us doesn't necessarily work for others. Some of us usually have good days, others are in pain all the time. Some of us are on heavy pain meds, others manage with very little.

Although you didn't mention it, I'm sure you'll find people who don't think you have FM. A friend's wife (a doc) actually said, "I don't believe in FM." Like it's the tooth fairy! Moving does help, so try to do something every day - walk, stretch, etc. I have a 15-minute stretching routine before getting out of bed, and it helps. I also do yoga once or twice a week. It's what I can manage.

There are some great resources in the right-hand column. Also check out http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/ . It has good tips for us, and you have to check out The Spoon Theory - it will help you explain to people what it's like to be in your body.

Have the best day you can possibly have,
Lou

ashfoster31 responded:
I am also young and have recently been diagnosed. It is very hard to cope with. I will pray for you and all of us.

missist replied to katmandulou's response:
Yes I've been told "i don't believe..." by my own sister and my own daughter! LOL. Who was born after I got it. ? Had another relative tell me she thought it was caused by guilt. OK.

Amazing how many really ignorant folks are out there.

dollbug replied to missist's response:
Hello Mary.
WOW....it would be good if people could just walk in our shoes for a week. I bet a lot of people would change their tune then.

I do not think anyone who does not live and deal with the wrath of the dragon can understand what it is all about. Even the doctors have no idea, well except for Dr. P and any other doctor who might have been blessed/cursed with it.

Sad that anyone would even think that we, FMers, could even think that we could make up the pain that we endure. Who would do that anyway? Do these people think we really like being this way. The chronic pain and fatigue is enough some days to drive me crazy. I just try not to think about it. I also have to remind myself that this day will soon pass and I just hope that tomorrow will be a better day. That's how I survive. I no longer try to do what I use to do....I have made major changes in my life. For those who do not understand....well, too bad for them.

You are correct Mary....there are a lot of people who are really just ignorant and they will never understand.

Thank goodness we have FMers here who truly understand what we are faced with.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

missist replied to dollbug's response:
thanks Mimi- I agree. Funny thing is my sister who doesn't believe in it --had an episode that her dr told her was fibro-- but it ended. She talked to me about it and I said --i think your dr was mistaken. It doesn't go away like that.

She may have it--and just be in denial. I know she didnt believe it when I had it or my mom--she 'poo-poo'd my mom's RA as if it were nothing. LOL egads.

mama1984 replied to dollbug's response:
Thank you all for your responses. I also use heat sometimes can be helpful I started doing some of the walking hasn't worked yet but not going to quit. I also take vitamin b6b12 folic acid and vote man c. This new doctor has two family members that have it so she's trying to understand it better. I like her hopefully she continues to help. As vitamin d goes I and right where it should be they just said get a little sun. It's just hard I was manager f resteraunts working 54 plus hours a week and taking care of my three kids. Then bam accident and everything's changed I'm not trying to wine. It's just hard to go go go and then have to stop. Saddens me I feel like my children miss out because of me. I have days were it hurts to touch my skin. I'm doing my best and y'all are right no one will understand unless they get it. I have had sleep issues forever but was able to run off 3-4 hours asleep but now I can't I sleep 8hours and wake up feeling frogging then I feel like I need nap. It just sucks from altering everything and not being as good as I was .

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
456 of 531 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.