Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Saturday *****4/5/2014 *****
dollbug posted:
Morning FMily. MiMi in NC and it looks like it is going to be a super nice day again today. They predicted some showers yesterday, but it did not happen in my area. They are predicting rain headed our way next week. I pushed myself for a couple of days and had to rest yesterday. I slept better last night and I rested yesterday as well. I hope today is a good day for us all with little to no pain.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/04/04/sc-woman-gets-20-years-in-breast-feeding-overdose/20863215/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl25%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D461359

I am sharing a link with everyone. This is about a woman in SC and she was a nurse and she has FM. It is a very sad story.
Pain pills are a part of her story.

Welcome to the new members who have joined our support group recently. I am sure each of you will soon find ways that will help you cope better with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM.

It does take a trial and error process which does take time and effort to find the *right combination of tools* which will make a difference so hang in there and find what works for you.

I do encourage each of you to ask your doctor about getting your Vitamin D level checked which is important for a lot of people these days. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well. I also encourage you to keep tabs on this when you have your yearly check ups...as it can be hard to stay in the *normal range* for some of us.

That's all for now. Have a great Saturday.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

booch007 responded:
Morning Mimi,

I have so many emotions to that link. As a nurse I am so outraged for the position she got herself in. But as a human I know how hard pain is.

I would never seek illegal sources for help. That's one. I think at that point when you read the usage of patches (??Fentanyl??) and MS contin?...I can only guess. She started making very bad decisions.

ALL meds say that they are not tested on pregnant or breastfeeding patients, so information is limited. You MUST be honest with the docs......so I am mad here. Why didn't the hospital see the baby was born addicted? There would have been irritablility and shaking?? Unless she snuck meds in the hospital and breast fed the levels back in the child.? (Or the issue of roomin gin...the nurses don't see the babies that much)

This is so sad, but it is NOT the way to live a life, shame on an educated person to make so many bad decisions. To live with this ending. I also bet she is in detox now in the jail......

Bad stuff.....bad stuff.

You know when we meet patients we listen to their stories but we look at all the clues of the truth. I drink 2 beers a day.....and you see things in labs and body changes that tells you itis a 6 pak a day....that there are no veins around....hardened chords (from IV drug abuse). You see things.....no one saw that she was in trouble? Shame, waste.

Pain is an awful thing to deal with and robs life from people. It is so difficult to deal with each day. But THIS IS WHY they don't want us on the Class II narcotic meds. It is not lasting, you need to go higher for relief and relief is a never for us.

We are always in pain. This poor thing has alot to live with now. I can't even imagine.

Planning on a good day. I have had a tough week with nausea and pain and immobility, but today "SUN" better come my way. I will get in the attic later and maybe not even open the bags...just pass it forward to the Goodwill.

It feels good to purge out the house. I have to keep it up.

I hope to all that you get out in the sun today and move a bit. Let the healing rays of the sun bathe your body and make it a better day.

Mimi, I saw the new Pirate Fairy movie with the girls last night. BUT then we resaw Frozen*...OMG, they love that movie. They sing the songs , act out the scenes.....just precious. I just sat with my head supported with a neck roll and did little with them! I called it movie night, but it was Nana Night!

Hugs to all..............NancyB

dollbug replied to booch007's response:
Hello Nana B. I do not understand why her blood work did NOT show something about her being on pain pills. Someone somewhere overlooked something and allowed this all to take place. How on earth could she hide being on them? I do not understand this at all.

I do know though that *pain* can change a person's life. I am sure she was NOT the same person that she use to be....trying to deal with the pain that we all know FM causes.

It is indeed a very sad story, with a very sad ending. I hope everyone will read it. I know that I have read that pain pills are meant to be use for short term illnesses....and as we all know FM is NOT short term.

My newest GS is on vacation this week. I have missed him a lot. The boys are having a fun time though and will be back soon.

My GC are so precious.....each and every one of them. There is nothing like being with them.

My GD was upset yesterday when she had to go home. She got to stay a week. She told me that she wanted to live with my daughter...and just go to see her dad and her mom. She loves her cousin and they have so much fun together. They have a very strong bond which was made years ago. It is so funny to see them play. She is 9 (10 in July)...and he is 7. They are buddies. They get along good, for the most part.....sometimes you would think they are brother and sister. Funny.

Have a good Saturday and remember to pace, pace and pace even more.

Try to enjoy the sunshine as well.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

Anon_10089 responded:
That story is sad. It sounds like originally, that this woman did not get the help she needed to control her pain and so took it into her own hands.

I have another side of the coin to look at though. I am one who takes an opiate. I take a small dose Norco, though. I think the main difference between what I take and maybe the heavier stuff, is that my med is not "extended release". So when I don't take it, I don't have withdrawals. I also have been on the same dose for many years. I have tried other things. Even tramadol and I find tramadol is much more chemically addictive for my body. My body gets tolerant to it very quickly and soon I take it just to not have withdrawals. The bottom line is that the opiate med helps me be a lot more active than otherwise. And I would NEVER take opiates during a pregnancy, obviously!

We only hear stories like this, though. Unfortunately, we don't hear stories of the millions of people who have taken opiates responsibly. Those stories are boring. But these stories tend to brand all pain patients as pain pill abusers. There are many people who, thankfully for them, are not familiar with the chronic pain world. They do not know people like us who take a highly proactive role in our health. We're not lazy. We don't lay around wanting to just pop pills all day. But the chronic pain community as a whole can be painted wrongly by these kinds of reports. That adds to my indignation at stories like this!

--JR

fibroinsd responded:
We have a cold wind blowing, but I am determined not to complain...cold wind...and it should warm up in a few days..

Went to an interesting talk today about dealing with social security...good financial advice...now he was trying to get people to use his business....but it did sound helpful...i.e. when to start taking social security, etc..

talked to dad this afternoon...first day off the salt pills...and I swear he sounded better..he said he was so/so..but just for him to analyze himself was better...not slurring his words, etc.. I hope by tomorrow he is better.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

rudyandirmouse replied to fibroinsd's response:
cece, I know that hearing your dad sounding so well makes you happy and I am sooo glad your dad sounded so well! That's great news hope that the salt pills work even better as the days go by.
Gentle hugs, Linda R

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
369 of 396 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.