Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
new here,but not to fibroM
vanvette posted:
Years ago I mentioned to my doctor that I was pretty sure I have fibroM. He told me that there are no tests to prove me right, so he would not diagnose my problems as that. This began after the birth if my 5th baby. What I could walk with my children anywhere and everywhere, I could walk two blocks without being exhausted, and my legs hurting, and so on? Tried to join a YMCA exercise group, but couldn't walk around the block without shin splints and utter exhaustion. I couldn't stand to have anyone poke me, like my kids would lay by me and poke me and say mommy when they needed me. Or an elbow into my am or leg would hurt so bad. Just normal stuff wasn't so normal for me anymore. Time marched on, I learned to live with this. Exercising? Made me hurt, made me sick.. Literally. I've put on 160 lbs since this began! Now I'm good for about 4 hours than I'm exhausted. I NEED a nap most days. If not, than I find I cannot function. My doctor ended up with some heart problem And died unexpectedly and quickly! So now I see his partner, whim I have an even harder time talking to, he just seems to be in a hurry. Point out your one pain than he leaves. Now, I have knee problems, back problems, arthritis in my back and knee. My arms hurt to raise them. I can do chores for a bit, get rid and need to sit. If I'm up too long, I yet. If I sit too long, I hurt. I have to wake up to turn in my bed. The list goes on. Don't know who to see? Don't know who will take this seriously. I drive a school bus, but my knee and my leg have me off work. I worked for almost 6 weeks straight with my knee so bad that I could not walk on my leg? I think I tore something from getting in and out of that bus seat! My boss doesn't really believe me. I ended up out at ER AND now have an orthopedic appointment tomorrow. Using a wheelchair, a walker and cane when I can. The ER doc told me to contact my doctor to have him refer me to a Rheumatologist. He sees me once and says what I need. I saw my doctor more times and feel I just pay him. I've read all the posts, and I have about all the symptoms and more. I take nothing! But, will asked to have my vitamin D checked. Glad I found this thread! Oh, I gave birth to that baby in 1985.. Than had another in 1987, and another in 1994 and my last in 1996. The last three pregnancys were awful with the pain!

missist responded:
Hi..
If your dr will not dx you or refer you to someone who will-- you need to be proactive here and get a new dr.

you've suffered WAYYYYYYY tooo long with crappy dr-itis.

One thing fibro has taught me is to be really impatient with bad drs. I've had quite a few but some good ones.

Its very normal to gain weight with fibro due to the pain--but you will have to take that bull by the horns too-- if you cannot exercise you must reduce calories or change to calories that don't add more weight --like veggies, lean meat -cut the starch nearly out and super minimize the fat.

Also dump out the sugar and go with something like stevia.

YEs get the D checked but it really sounds to me like you should ask for that at the 1st apt with your NEW dr--at some other practice.

Tell whoever your new dr is that you have been trying to get your dr to refer you for possible fibromyalgia for what is it? 18 years??? My goodness.

tell him you are aware you are overweight and out of condition--but the reason this all began is pain and you have never had your dr listen to you and help you with it.

the disrespect you are getting from this practice tells me they've been paid enough now. Move on !

Get some peace girl!
Mary

missist replied to missist's response:
You know... I think I misread your post-- you started having this pain in 1985? I got fibro in 1985. Even as badly understood as fibro was back then---I finally got diagnosed in 1988. 3 years--I thought was kind of long but it maybe about average.

You my dear, have been in pain for 30 years you are totally neglected by your doctor. I don't know what the reason is for not changing doctors by now--if they are the only one in 3 counties? or your insurance won't cover anyone else?

I mean--this is really awful. If its the insurance call them and ask to file a complaint every time the doctor refused to refer you. Call and get another appointment , ask again, and file a complaint again.

Get tough! I'm thinking by now those babies may have their own babies, Gramma needs some relief or she won't be around to play with them.
mary

Vanvette--- Hope I don't sound scolding in my prior replies-- praying for you. this is something you need to do though. Drs will do noting if you don't hold them to the fire.

Mary

vanvette---still feeling bad here--I am also very overweight- due to not exercising and also just eating wrong.-- feeding stress etc. so telling myself just what I told you-- and I too have had a hard time getting good drs--so I know you must must must make the one you have serve you right or stop paying them. Pay someone better.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
370 of 397 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.